Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

ALRIGHT, YOU FAT MAGGOTS!

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...and so it begins...

Good luck, all. If you can do it, more power to ya. If you can't, it's not for lack of trying. Just be happy with yourself, and don't take shit from anybody. You are who you are.

As Popeye sez: "I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam".

Happy Gnu Ear, all.

-Tim from Jersey :thu:

Play. Just play.

Update central: I'm down to 213. Next goal 212. I have not been this light in over 10 years. Stay away from those snacks Bob, stay away from those snacks Bob, stay away from those snacks Bob.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

I put back on 2 lbs over Christmas. Not too bad really, considering. Back to my normal routine now - low carb diet (I'm type 2 diabetic, so this is good for me) plus some real exercise (1 hour gym at least 3 times per week) - I expect to loose about a pound per week on average so should be below 200 by mid-year.

:DTR

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

[Joining a gym is out of the question, I can't stand being in gyms. The music they play in them alone is enough to keep me out! :D

Wow... The gyms you've seen must not be anything like the gym I'm at. Well, the YMCA actually. I don't know what Y's are like out by you, but the one I go to is awesome.

They are located next to a bikepath that runs along a river. It's a very scenic area, with flower gardens and a duck pond. And it's a 2-mile walk from my house to the Y, so I get my cardio-vascular doing that, (4 miles total).

The Y itself is very well equiped. The 'buff' people aren't flashing themselves in the mirrors, or using it as a 'meat market' to pick up other 'buff people'. Everyone's pretty nice, and from all different economic strata.

When I have my kids with me, they have a HUGE play area, and they watch them FOR FREE.

The MUSIC, is actually very cool. I think they play XRT out of Chicago....I think. Anyway, I've heard REM, Talking Heads, early B-52's, someone doing a Tom Waits cover....no it wasn't Rod Stewart ;) ...I heard 'Stomp' by Brothers Johnson last time I was there, which I like to think of as GOOD Disco. But never any Thump...Thump...Thump...gonna make you sweat music.

I can't say enough good things about that place.

So maybe there is a nice place like that out where you live. Might be worth checking out, at least for the winter months.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Damn, I'm getting in on this party WAYYYY late.

I knew none of my goals were going to start happening until after the holidays, so today is my day to get started.

Goal 1: Stop the smoking. My plan is to do this in stages, by keeping close track of how much I smoke (keeping a diary) - so far, so good, it's 1:00 and I've only had one cigarette today. Goal is to be down to 5 cigs a day consistently in two weeks, then be completely off them in two more. I've been a pack-a-day smoker since I was 11 years old.

Goal 2: With the newly available cash created by the above (about $80 a month), I'll be joining Gold's Gym and working with a personal trainer to get my body back into shape. Right now I'm not far off my target weight (I'm 6'0" and weight about 185), but I expect to have a fight on my hands once I get off the nicotene. What I would like to do is get myself up to 200 pounds, by focusing on mass-building exercises (high-weight, low-rep lifting) initially, then once I reach that target incorporating more cardio and switching over to low-weight, high-rep lifting, which tones and builds stamina.

Biggest motivations for me right now? My back is #1. Nicotene restricts the flow of blood, which can be devastating to the spine over long years - I've already got family history of degenerative joint and bone diseases, adding to that problem. Plus, the exercise regimen will build the muscles in and around my back, giving me more stability to support the two discs that are already collapsed back there.

Second thing is my voice. I'm a pretty good singer, but over the last year or so I began noticing that notes I used to be able to hold effortlessly are finding me out of breath midway. Furthermore, my range is deteriorating, and at a rather rapid pace. Gotta do something about it before I start sounding like Old Man Gravel on the mic.

Anyway, good luck to you all. I'll keep you posted on my progress, and be rooting for you all as well. :thu:

Yeah, I'm interested in this thread as well.

Accountability is always a good thing.

I've got a bunch of weight I need to take off.

Last year I started working out regularly. I've made a good habit out of it, and seen some nice benefits from it. And while I did lose about 20 pounds...probably more since muscle weighs more than fat, I have pretty much stalled out. I lose a pound this week....gain a pound next week. It's been like this for at least 6 months.

The problem I'm confronted with is the way I eat. I eat BAD. Lots of fast food. I've been trying to break myself of it, but it's a bitch! I've eaten this way my whole life.

I feel that the best way (at least for me) to make changes is to make them gradually. So, right now my goal is simply not to eat fast food during the week, and I'll make allowances for the weekends.

I'm fortunate in some ways. I'm not a really a snacker. If it's in the house I will eat it, but I am good about not buying that snack foods at the store. So an occasional bag of M&M's once or twice a month is about it for me.

I also started drinking diet pop. I occasionally have the regular stuff, but not very often. At home it's always Diet Rite.

I'm trying to get into the water thing. I try to always have a bottle with me when I go to workout. It's kind of hard....I'm not really a big 'water' kinda guy, but I'm trying.

I'm not into veggies much at all. So I bought some baby carrots, and I'm trying to get used to eating those for snacks, or with a regular meal. I don't put anything on them, I just eat 'em raw.

I kind of envy vegetarians for their ability to live on foods I almost never eat. I'd kind of like to become a semi-vegetarian myself, but a change that drastic is going to take a long time.

Basically, last year was about improving my endurance and musculature. I've proven to myself that I can develop a program and stick with it. I'm very happy about that. It's a realistic program and should be sustainable for the rest of my life -that's the goal, anyway.

This year needs to be about changing my diet to something that isn't going to kill me in ten years.

An interesting thing about all of this, is that although I really want to get down to an idea weight, I'm not really doing the excersize or diet for any other reason than to simply improve and maintain my health. My feeling is that weight-loss will naturally occur when you take good care of yourself. So, it's really more a side-benefit to me.

Losing weight is easy. Diet for a while. Get a physician to prescribe some weight-loss pills. It's not that hard to do.

But to maintain a proper weight for the long haul requires more than pills and self-control around twinkies. It's really about a life-style change.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Well, as today winds down, I'm feeling pretty good about the results of stage 1.

I smoked a grand total of 8 cigarettes today, despite the fact that I stopped in the local bar and drank a pitcher of beer. Usually when I drink, I smoke like a fiend - but in the two hours I spent down there, I still managed to smoke only one cigarette.

So far, so good :thu:

Way to go, bro! :thu:

Meanwhile, I think I got a more realistic starting point today - just winding down from a 19-hour day (being awake, not working...) and wound up going through 16 of the little bastards. I was very pleased by my willpower in the car - spent a lot of time on the road today, but fought off the impulse to light up when I got into the driver's seat - a real weakness for me in the past.

I'm just glad to be back home!

I miss using my weights, so my muscles are kind of floppy right now. Not the super buff type myself, but a good dose of weightlifting does help keep the metabolism fast, along with some aerobic exercise, then stretches at the end. I'd love to practice some yoga or pilates sometime. I'm certainly not getting any younger, and would love to maintain my flexibility.

I did fit in some vigorous walking with a new pair of hiking boots while I was in Virginia, though, so that probably kept my weight down.

OK, I started yesterday. I'm just eating a lot less--and no sugar. Trying to keep the calorie intake below 1100. That's my lifestyle change, stop eating so much I feel sick.

My goal is to lose thirty pounds by summer (is that even possible?) and another ten after that.

Day two, so far so good.

Me and my two dogs, Remington and Winchester

I hate you.

Ya but I didn't tell you the whole story. I'm still 50-60 lbs overweight. I probably don't carry myself like someone 50-60 lbs overweight, but still 50-60 lbs is 50-60 lbs ! Whenever a young guy makes a comment about how slow I am (on a job at work) I just tell him "How fast do you think that you would go if you carried a 50 lb. sack of potatoes in front of you?"

I'm just so busy working on this bathroom I'm not sitting down much. I'm just taking a 1/2 hour break now to reply ! I believe that is helping me keep my weight down. I have this whole week off besides to finish this job.

Dan

http://teachmedrums.com

It's good to see everyone fair decently over the Holidays, with not too much indulgence. ;)

Although, at least one of my friends thinks I could use a workout - she gave me a two-week free pass to one of the local gyms for Christmas. All's I got to do now is find two weeks where I can actually use the damn thing...

...but that's a matter for a different thread

Cheers!

Spencer

"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way....BRUTALLY!!!!"

Hey, I'm not overweight, but I'm loose around the edges these days, so back to the system.

For the past three years this has been the deal:

Jan-Mar: Hit the weight bench every other day. On non-weight days, do the cardio.

Apr-Sept: Lot of outdoor activity, and lots of bike. Swim as much as possible.

Oct-Dec: This is my "take it easy" time. There are lots of family events, and of course the holidays, so I just watch my diet as best I can and not stress out on the exercise.

So I started my lifting last night at the same weights I was using to start last January, and I don't feel too sore, so I'll have to bump up the weight a little tomorrow. Tonight, the running.

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

I'm sure there've gotta be some simple things we can do at home, where it's easy to get into a routine and harder to make excuses like "I don't have time to drive to the gym." Anybody have any ideas? And ones that don't require the purchase of a bunch of large equipment?

I have a plain weight bench like this:

http://iconfitness.speedera.net/www.iconfitness.com/icon/weider/v4/images/WEBE0692_promo.jpg

Which according to the website I grabbed the picture from can be had for $49.00 these days. Then you need some weight plates, which sell for about a dollar a pound (less per lb. for the larger plates). A set of dumbells will run you around $50 for a simple 5-8-10-12-15 lb pairs. So for under $200 your on your way. There's alot of exercises you can do with just the dumbells and no bench.

My lifting/aerobic/diet program is essentially the Body for Life plan, which can be accomplished without any special foods (if you skip the protein supplements), and the exercises can be done with basic free weights.

Over New Year's week I lost the half pound I gained during Christmas week.

Going to start following a workout/meal plan program. Also joined the new fitness club; only $10 a month!

There are two theories about arguing with a woman. Neither one works.

I am strangely not feeling excessively hungry lately, like i was at the onset of winter. I'm going to do my best to take advantage of that.

A few weeks ago i was waking up hungry, starving by 11:00, and still slightly hungry until dinnertime, where i would engorge myself until it hurt to breathe.

The problem is that there is so much good stuff to eat around me all the time. :(

Oh yeah, and beer.

BEER BEER BEER....

I'm going to have a hard time giving this up :( My evening is just not complete w/o throwing a couple back after dinner.

I guess it beats taking up smoking again.

I also need to find a scale so that I can weigh myself. I could be losing or gaining weight right now and not know it! Though my pants are still plenty hard to get on :evil:

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Phaeton, (and anyone else)

Do yourself a favor and don't weigh in every day. Check in once every other week or so.

If you have been consistent with your behavior, you are more likely to see measurable results. On a daily basis, you might appear to weigh a pound more because you didn't take a crap yet today :eek: and the feel distressed at lack of progress.

Originally posted by billster:

Phaeton, (and anyone else)

Do yourself a favor and don't weigh in every day. Check in once every other week or so.

If you have been consistent with your behavior, you are more likely to see measurable results. On a daily basis, you might appear to weigh a pound more because you didn't take a crap yet today :eek: and the feel distressed at lack of progress.

Yea, that's pretty much true, Bill. A persons weight will fluctuate. However, if you weigh yourself at the same time each day, preferably before any meals of the day, and monitor your weight over a few day period, you will see what direction if any your body weight is headed. I like to weigh in every day. When I reach a weight goal, I don't consider it a success until I weigh in at or below that target weight for a few days in succession. Then I select a new target (one pound at a time).

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

^bump

currently 6'1", 285 lbs...and dropping! :)

I have lost 20 lbs. since Thanksgiving...and that is with only diet changes.

Of course, the fact that I have recently started a medication that has removed nearly all my appetite helps! :rolleyes:

I live with a diabetic, and I have used her meter to test my sugar...in the normal range. :thu:

cheers,

aeon

Go tell someone you love that you love them.

Of course, the fact that I have recently started a medication that has removed nearly all my appetite helps!

Ephedrine? Salycylic acid? Lysergic Acid? Toxic Chemicals? Concrete? Polyester Resin?

What is this weight-loss drug, and how may we enjoy its benefits as well?

(j/k)

welcome back aeon :thu:

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Archived