Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

ALRIGHT, YOU FAT MAGGOTS!

Put me on the list. I peaked at 256lbs about 6 months ago. I'm only 5' 8.5" (that extra 0.5" really matters to me!). I have been cutting out carbs and exercising more (but not enough). I'm down to 223lbs right now (lost 33 lbs in 6 months - gone from size 42" to size 38" pants - not too shabby - I've been inspired by the "Biggest Loser" program). I want to get down to 190 by the beginning of summer 2005 and be in waist size 36" pants. Should be acheivable. Good luck to all.

:DTR

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The biggest thing to me is not the weight I`m at but how I feel. I know I`m uncomfortable doing certain things and thats what I want to fix. Taking off the shirt when hanging at the beach should be relaxing, not stressful. Climbing a flight of stairs should not be work at my age, 31.

Also, the extra weight has caused unnecessary back pain and bad knees. Last year I got fed up, joined the gym and went ballastic. Within a week I pulled ligaments in both knees and broke a two. I was in pain for months, my knees still ache and all that did was slow down my weight loss. I also tried the Aikens DIEt and I was a miserable fuck. Gave my wife a hard time and resented someone everytime they ate a carb. Though the diet worked, I lost 8 lbs in a week w/ot exercise, it was the hardest 8 lbs to lose. I would rather exercise and watch the carb intake.

Tedster, I'm jumping in this thing pretty late, but I'm in. I'm 6'2, 217. I was at 225, but I have been working on getting down there. I have a narrow frame body and it is at its best at about 185-190 so that's my target. I decided that I don't want some crazy diet plan or any exercise equipment to collect dust in the corner of our family room, so I simply started changing my habits just a bit at a time. I started by eating less at each meal. Then I started eating less junk food and cutting out fattening snacks (except ice cream which I will need to check myself into the Betty Ford Clinic to control). I also started becoming more aware of physical exercise, such as walking. I now make sure I walk a good amount each day. I travel a lot and sleep in my truck, so, I do some basic push ups and crunches in my sleeper birth. I'm trying to lose a pound at a time so I don't get discouraged. My short term goal is 216 lbs. When I reach and maintain that for a few days, then I shall seek 215, and so on. At one pound a week, by July 1 05, I should be getting where I want to be. The one big problem with trying to lose weight is I can feel guilty when I indulge for a day, such as Thanksgiving or Christmas. Days like that can set me back for a month. How do you handle those situations?

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Originally posted by The Tedster of Christmas Present:

But, of course, remember, those of us who are heavier will have more a rapid weight redux at the onset, but, it does seem to be true that those who are, say, only 10-15 lbs overweight are going to have a harder time of it.

Yeah, that's the part that pisses ME off. I could definitely stand to lose 10-15 pounds - and it's all in the belly! And I have no idea what to do. My diet is already pretty healthy, I don't overeat often at all, and I don't drink beer or soda. I could stand to exercise more but most exercises don't necessarily target the tummy. And it seems to take me forEVER to take any weight off.

I used to walk my dog all the time but now I don't have a dog anymore. :( And it's really not a good time to get another one, so I need some suggestions for other types of exercise that I can do at home, especially in winter when I don't go hiking much. Joining a gym is out of the question, I can't stand being in gyms. The music they play in them alone is enough to keep me out! :D

I'm sure there've gotta be some simple things we can do at home, where it's easy to get into a routine and harder to make excuses like "I don't have time to drive to the gym." Anybody have any ideas? And ones that don't require the purchase of a bunch of large equipment?

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

Originally posted by The Tedster of Christmas Present:

[qb]

I used to walk my dog all the time but now I don't have a dog anymore. :( And it's really not a good time to get another one, so I need some suggestions for other types of exercise that I can do at home, especially in winter when I don't go hiking much. Joining a gym is out of the question, I can't stand being in gyms. The music they play in them alone is enough to keep me out! :D

I'm sure there've gotta be some simple things we can do at home, where it's easy to get into a routine and harder to make excuses like "I don't have time to drive to the gym." Anybody have any ideas? And ones that don't require the purchase of a bunch of large equipment?

Lee, do you have a neighbor with a dog you could "borrow"? I love walking my dogs and I bet a neighbor would appreciate someone taking their dog for them on a routine basis.
Me and my two dogs, Remington and Winchester

What works for me:

Alternative transportation! I'm 54, 5'10" 170lb, and would tend towards chubby, but I ride my bike to work 3 days a week. So far I've got 2250 miles on my commuter bike this year. It's a 21+ mile round trip and I do it 3 times a week. Saves a ton on gas too. And I get to eat pretty much what I want!

I'm one of the lucky ones, my whole trip is on trails. Really, it only adds about 40 minutes a day to my round trip time and is a *lot* less frustrating than the interstate.

Walk at lunch, take the stairs, and do some calisthenics or get some dumbbells and use them. Exercise can be real cheap and every little bit counts.

Happy New Year,

Jamie

But never fear, you're safe with me... Well maybe. - Les

Well, I do have a dumbbell set where I can change the weights. I can have up to 30 lbs on one dumbbell. I realy need some sort of foldable bench, to better work out my pecs.

I also have one of those $50 stair walking thingies, with the pulleys for bad weather.

Yes, I still have the sickness for certain junk foods, and soda. But not too much, I hope. I'm 29. 5 foot, 4 inches, and around 135-140 pounds.

Sure, I may not be Ahh-nold, but put me next to any of my brothers, and you can see who puts in the effort. :)

On a side note, I wish I had the brain power of my bro from Savannah. But that's a different story.

I'm one of the lucky ones, my whole trip is on trails. Really, it only adds about 40 minutes a day to my round trip time and is a *lot* less frustrating than the interstate.

Man, i'd love to do that, but by time i get to work i'd be all sweaty and i have to work indoors with other people :rolleyes:

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Hey all, late on this, but thought I might chime in here.

I used to be fat. At around 5'9", my high point was 207 (I was a fat kid.) I got sick of being tired, of being slow, of sweating for no reason, etc. It was not because of friends and family telling me to do it, it wasn't the "media" or whatever. I just decided that enough was enough.

I started with walking, and gradually moved to biking. Like jlh, I instantly found vitality, lost weight, and felt better. Moved to a protein diet (lots of tuna), gradually added in some grains and carbs, and biked all the time. Built some muscle and altered my metabolism, which made it even easier to ride more, and look forward to it. Made hauling gear easier, too.

I lost 75 pounds in 11 months.

I have been at my current weight of around 160-165 for over 10 years.

I recently quit cigs, best thing I have done in a long time.

Cleaner house and clothes, and more money, too.

I would advise all of you, if I may, to do what you can, whatever it is, to feel and live healthier.

And I would offer all of you my best wishes for success.

Lots of luck! :thu:

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Hey, Taz, congrats on your 4000!

Welcome to all the newcomers! Santabach, didn't realize you were a trucker. That's gotta be tough, doing a lot of driving and eating all that good truck stop food.

Lee, as crazy as it sounds, go to the library and see what sort of exercise videos they have. I think for someone who's stuck indoors in the winter, something like an aerobic kickboxing routine would be great. It'll start slow, and just work up gradually to what you can do. You will feel better...it's just a matter of sticking with it (the hardest part).

Wraub, way to go, bro!

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I used to be fat. At around 5'9", my high point was 207 (I was a fat kid.) I got sick of being tired, of being slow, of sweating for no reason, etc. It was not because of friends and family telling me to do it, it wasn't the "media" or whatever. I just decided that enough was enough.

I started with walking, and gradually moved to biking. Like jlh, I instantly found vitality, lost weight, and felt better.

As a kid , I was always 20-30 lbs overweight. It was only when I rode an icecream bicycle 8 hours a day for 100 days in the summer of 71 that I got down to "the proper weight" of 150-155 for my height.

Somehow, now at this age, I don't think it would be that easy , but if you see me selling icecream on a bicycle, DON'T LAUGH.

2 years ago, I started to ride 20 mile round trips with my bike, but it took up to 2 hours. I need to be retired to spend that much time on a bike.

I've never been athletic except that I have always liked the bicycle. Maybe I'll combine my fast double bass drum legs with my bicycle and go for speed biking. We'll see. I know that I need something radical to loose at least 30 pounds.

Dan

http://teachmedrums.com/octopus2.wmv

Well, if I get that tripod and cable release for Xmas, there'll be certainly more walking in my future! I want to work on my photography a bit with my ancient, but still good Pentax K1000 cam. [smile]

No kidding! I have a Pentax K1000 as well. Great lil unit. I just need to get out and do stuff with it some more :-S

WWND?

Originally posted by techristian:

Somehow, now at this age, I don't think it would be that easy , but if you see me selling icecream on a bicycle, DON'T LAUGH.

I'll have a "Nutty Buddy", a "Fudgsicle", and two "Choco-Tacos" please...

2 years ago, I started to ride 20 mile round trips with my bike, but it took up to 2 hours. I need to be retired to spend that much time on a bike.

I thought that you just retired from building cars?

I'm with you on the athletic thing though- biking is about all i'm into, really...

WWND?

OK Lee, this always worked for me in the past. Fall madly in love with someone that wants nothing to do with you. Stalk them, google them, think about them all day and night waiting for them to call. I guarantee you`ll lose the weight.

Hey it worked for me!

:D

I'm sure there've gotta be some simple things we can do at home, where it's easy to get into a routine and harder to make excuses like "I don't have time to drive to the gym." Anybody have any ideas? And ones that don't require the purchase of a bunch of large equipment?[/QB]

Eat 1-2 bowls of Uncle Ben's Brown Rice everyday for a month at lunch time. It'll fill you up and after a few days you'll notice the weight falling off about 3/4 lbs per day. I went from 255 down to 212 in about 5-6 weeks doing this. No extra excercise needed.

Living' in the shadow,

of someone else's dream....

Originally posted by djwayne:

Eat 1-2 bowls of Uncle Ben's Brown Rice everyday for a month at lunch time. It'll fill you up and after a few days you'll notice the weight falling off about 3/4 lbs per day. I went from 255 down to 212 in about 5-6 weeks doing this. No extra excercise needed.

Sure, but that's like a crash diet. You really need to go for a low fat, moderate carb and protein diet IMO, in the long run. In my case, the weightlifting (along with other exercise) has helped keep off more pounds, though lately, I've had a taste for the heavy burgers... cold weather is to blame for that.

Of course next week, I'll be away from home, so I've really got to do something. I don't want to waste away in front of the tv watching cheezy shows. (but that Xbox and PS2 seems appetizing...) Or, heaven forbid, hang around in here too much. :freak:

Look, it's real simple, if you eat like a pig, you'll look like a pig, go on a diet, and you'll lose weight, don't go on a diet, you won't.

You want a quick, easy, cheap, way to lose weight ?? Eat the brown rice, for lunch everyday for a month.

You want to get fat ?? Keep up with the chips, the dips, the cookies, the cakes.

Living' in the shadow,

of someone else's dream....

I thought that you just retired from building cars?

I wish.

I'm going to need to adjust my spending habits RADICALLY (and my wifes too) before I retire. This year I made 3X as much as my pension will be AND WE SPENT IT ALL !

But getting back to diets....

Yesterday I was talking to a guy who lost 60 pounds and 2 things he mentioned I will try to remember.

1) Drink 3 glasses of water before each meal.

2) Make your LUNCH you big meal of the day. For supper eat light and never eat too close to bedtime.

Well we will see!

Dan

http://musicinit.com/pvideos.html

Originally posted by techristian:

Yesterday I was talking to a guy who lost 60 pounds and 2 things he mentioned I will try to remember.

1) Drink 3 glasses of water before each meal.

2) Make your LUNCH you big meal of the day. For supper eat light and never eat too close to bedtime.

Dan

I think your buddy is right, Dan. One of the main problems is the before-bedtime snack. And I'm always about a well-balanced meal, no "grapefruit, hard-boiled eggs, and coffee" diets for me.

Between meal snacks (the healthy kind - lowfat cheese sticks and the like) really help, too.

Also, your brain doesn't even start to realize that your stomach is full until 20 minutes after you're done eating, way too late if you've overeaten. A good idea is to eat some nuts (Pistachios are great ;) ) 15-20 minutes before dinner. By the time you're starting to eat, your brain is already starting to realize that you're getting satiated. Only eat until you feel satisfied, not stuffed.

Dessert isn't bad, either. Here's what I like to do:

Take 1 cup of low-fat Ricotta cheese, add 1 packet of sugar substitute (Equal's my fav), add some cinnamon and baker's cocoa and mix it all up. It really satisfies my sweet tooth (well, teeth, in my case).

-DC Ross

It's not simple to be simple.

-H. Matisse

Ross Precision Guitars

Originally posted by DC Ross:

Between meal snacks (the healthy kind - lowfat cheese sticks and the like) really help, too.

I use the "100 calorie a shot" lowfat nutra-sweet or splenda yogurt. :thu:

Water is good. I've been drinking some in between meals. I may also break in my new hiking boots later today for some exercise. Amazingly, I'm actually eating a little less than I'm used to eating. :) That may be due to being a bit less active than usual.

...and take some pix of course (er, might...), with my 'lil Olympus D-395. I swear, that thing might break on me without notice! I've had it three months, and I still feel like a little kid when I use it. :D

As much as I like all of the Christmas foods, I found out if you just eat those things for 4-5 days in a row, you WILL EAT LESS, because you will get sick of them.

I substitute those foods for regular meals, rather than adding them for in between snacks.

4 mornings I had STUFFING for breakfast. I didn't want to see it wasted. It is finally finished. (This is a family recipe which includes rich things such as eggs, onions or garlic, bread and sage.)

KABASA or chesse with crackers for lunch 4 days in a row.

KABASA or chesse with crackers for supper 4 days in a row.

I went to Burger King for a Whopper today. I'm sick of KABASA (with a name like Laskowski?)

Your body will tell you what to eat. You will naturally get sick of certain foods in excess.

I know it seems silly, but I have all of this stuff around and we have to eat it or it will go to waste.

Oh did I forget the fruit cake? I've had my share of that also.

I have enough of this stuff left to last me for another week. Maybe I'll just throw the rest in the freezer? I'm not getting all of the visitors that I anticipated.

I'm still working on my BATHROOM PROJECT 2004. That is keeping me from sitting down too long.

Dan

Lost 4 pounds the second week. Gained one-half pound during the last week, which included Christmas dinner and eating out with friends.

Going to be sheafferized in 2005!!!!

There are two theories about arguing with a woman. Neither one works.

Archived