Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wurly Or Rhodes?

Polkahero

My bandleader thinks the intro to this Ronnie Milsap song he wants to cover is a Rhodes.  I think it's a Wurlitizer with some phase shifter or chorus effect.  Maybe it's something else.  What do you guys think or use if you cover this song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYrXp8aQHsE

• Like 2

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

8 hours ago, Polkahero said:

My bandleader thinks the intro to this Ronnie Milsap song he wants to cover is a Rhodes.  I think it's a Wurlitizer with some phase shifter or chorus effect.  Maybe it's something else.  What do you guys think or use if you cover this song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYrXp8aQHsE

Quite often non keys players reference for electric piano is Rhodes. We all know this is a Wurly, fairly processed.

• Like 2

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

Too easy. Ask your band leader to give us a harder one.

Not a fan of that excessively pingy wurly sound. Would rather hear the edges rounded off a bit.

I've often reflected on how the wurly has arguably aged better than the Rhodes. Some people might debate that fiercely. I own a Vintage Vibe, so I'm obviously no Rhodes hater. But if I could trade the VV for a reliable mechanical reproduction of a Wurly, I'd do it. Some people have time and patience to deal with a real vintage one, sadly I do not.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I’ll join the chorus for a chorused Wurli. :laugh:

I usually don’t have much difficulty distinguishing between a Wurli and Rhodes. I sometimes have problems identifying the Yamaha CP-30, especially when effects are applied.

• Like 1

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Supertrampy all day long. I'd definitely start with a Wurli.

That being said, sometimes there are some EP's that are kind of tweeners that can work either way.  Get the right amount of bark on the attack and put some chorus on it, you might be in the same territory. But for this one I'd bet real 

American money it's a wurli in the studio recording.

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

In my band we are still debating what the keys are on this track. Guitarist is convinced it is a Pianet through a fuzz box, bassist thinks it's a low passed Rhodes. I'm leaning to Wurlitzer, that's what I'm playing on it with the band.

"I worked with Dinah Washington for two years, and we once went on a tour with Ray Charles. He carried a sixty-six key Wurlitzer around, and he was really the first person I'd ever heard on electric piano. On a gig down South, we came across a really dead piano, so Dinah asked if we could use the Wurlitzer. It was beautiful. They had the same kind of Wurlitzer in the Capitol studio when I was recording there with Cannonball Adderley in the mid-sixties, so I recorded "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy" on it. I carried the Wurlitzer on the road for a while, until Victor Feldman told me that Rhodes made a piano that was really smokin'. I got one. Miles Davis heard me play on it and liked it, and then Herbie got one, and later we recorded In A Silent Way and Bitches Brew using it."

I pumped up the volume and played the intro a few times. That's no Wurly, it sounds like a Rhodes-y

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.