Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

David Gilmour’s New Music

The article is behind a paywall, but I have read some reviews elsewhere and will get the album in some way and make my own decision.

Problem is, I haven’t bought something physical (CD / LP) since it disappears from the local stores many years ago. The streaming options don’t get me the same value, and time to sit down and really listen, examine the cover and so on.

I still have a CD player at home and in my car (well actually it is a combi DVD player), so I guess it will be available as a physical media from a online store over here soon.

/Bjørn - old gearjunkie, still with lot of GAS

I bought the album yesterday (digital and vinyl). I like it overall. I like his 2015 album more, I think; although this one seems a little more cohesive.

I saw him in Chicago in 2016 and will be seeing him again this November in NYC. 

Supposedly, he won’t be doing as much classic Floyd on this tour. Fine with me. I’d see him no matter what. I can’t imagine there will be many opportunities after this. 

I have seen Waters three times (2007, 2010 Wall tour, and 2022 This Is Not A Drill). I can appreciate what both Gilmour and Waters contributed to the classic Floyd era, and I like quite a bit of their solo catalogs as well. 

Stuff and things.

Bought the vinyl LP yesterday and had a listen late last night. Somewhat mixed feelings so far as the genre is almost more like spoken word than classic rock.  And as Gilmour has also said himself, it`s as much his partner Polly`s album as his. She has written most of the lyrics.

Righard Wright appears on one track by the way. It must hence be based on some recording from the past.

Not a bad record, but no obvious hits either.

J

Nord Stage 3 88, Prophet 6, Moog Voyager OS, Moog Little Phatty TE, Crumar Mojo Classic Suitacase, Kawai US-50 upright, Beltuna Studio 3 and Fantini cassotto accordions

Found it on Spotify, might order a CD later.

Interesting mixing, but no PF magic.

So far Dark and Velvets Nights are my favorite.

When the guitar solo kicked in on Scattered, it reminded me of Comfortable Numb, the rest of the song not so much.

/Bjørn - old gearjunkie, still with lot of GAS

Listening to it right now. I wish it had a little more energy, but still a couple tracks to listen to the end. Love the production. It's my first listen and few tracks have jumped out at me, but I think it will really take a couple listens.  Really liked the one that the girl sings (Between Two Points).

Honestly I could listen to this guy just play lead guitar for a long time and not really get sick of it.

I'm firmly on Team Gilmour as opposed to Team Waters. Every interview I hear of that guy he seems insufferable. I couldn't imagine being in a band with him.

• Like 4

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

On 9/7/2024 at 4:54 AM, CyberGene said:

I’ve always been a Waters fan only. Gilmour is a great guitarist but a bad writer IMO, his latest album (before this one) was so mediocre… But of course I’ll have a listen, thanks for the heads up. 

Gilmour's first two solo albums, are pretty much the only ones I would purchase, when it comes to his solo work. About Face, released in 1984, was pretty good, I thought All Lovers Are Deranged was a great track despite the dated mid-eighties production.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2024 at 2:54 PM, bjosko said:

Interesting mixing, but no PF magic.

Most artists and musicians do not want to be confined to duplicating their greatest work in one way or another.

Sure, the record sales and sold out tours and shows and checks are fine but most creative people believe they have more to say with their talent. 

It's cool that Gilmour is still putting out new music. He could have retired decades ago and lived comfortably numb, er, happily ever after PF.😁😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I especially liked Gilmour's "About Face," which really invites my ear into the things I enjoy most about his playing.

I've been a follower of all things Floyd, although Waters lyrics are often too grinding for me. I saw "The Pros & Cons of Hitchhiking" live (excellent concert) and you can't argue against "What God Wants Pt.1," featuring the superior choice of Jeff Beck on lead.

The thing is that if you mashed all of the solo works together, you'd have a couple of astounding Floyd albums. I can hear the threads of contributions each made to the group. Its like listening to isolated tracks of a larger whole. I read a comment suggesting that Nick Mason had the broadest imagination of the four and as odd as it may sound, I tend to agree. He went to broader, more colorful places than the others.

Gilmour will always be on my list of Guitar Greats, with Beck, Steve Hackett & Leo Kottke. Excellent, soulful player.

• Like 1

I have no magic powers concerning dentistry or cases involving probate, but my Mellotron epics set Jupiter a-quiver.

On 9/9/2024 at 12:49 AM, Iconoclast said:

I'm firmly on Team Gilmour as opposed to Team Waters. Every interview I hear of that guy he seems insufferable. I couldn't imagine being in a band with him.

I felt rather uncharitable when the thought struck me, but Roger was like Pink Floyd's Yoko. Any good band has its internal, creative frictions, upon which the better ones build, like a coral reef. Problem is, if someone or something hits one of the cracks too hard at the wrong moment, it can create fatal fractures. 

I'm tired of the excessive "alternate dimensions" shtick, but I like the idea of one where all of the bands are different. Syd Barrett didn't go off the rails, Janis Joplin lived on, King Crimson is the ongoing #1 band in the land and Jimi Hendrix lived to become a Herbie-Hancock-like statesman in his field. 

I have no magic powers concerning dentistry or cases involving probate, but my Mellotron epics set Jupiter a-quiver.

Listened to it a couple of times since it came out. Doesn't feel as interesting and engaging as On An Island or Rattle That Lock but it's by no means bad. The production is impeccable and it's always lovely to hear a bit more Rick.

And just to nail my colours to the mast, I'd take Gilmour over Waters any day!

Cephid - Progressive Electro Rock

On 9/11/2024 at 2:43 AM, David Emm said:

I've been a follower of all things Floyd, although Waters lyrics are often too grinding for me. I saw "The Pros & Cons of Hitchhiking" live (excellent concert) and you can't argue against "What God Wants Pt.1," featuring the superior choice of Jeff Beck on lead.

Amused To Death is a fantastic record. Waters' best by a long shot. Still topically relevant as well. He's a curmudgeon but can hit the nail on the head.

• Like 2

i’ve listened through the title track a few times now and the vocal keeps reminding me of Donald Fagan, both lyrics and the melodic line 🤷🏻.  Not sure if I like it yet.  I can’t seem to throw the feeling that the lyrics are trying too hard to be clever.

Has had me delving back into his back catalogue though, Murder is a great song.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

I have been a Pink Floyd fan and a fan of David Gilmour‘s since 1968. I saw them several times during their tours to United States during the 70s, 80s, and 90s. A Pink Floyd concert was a happening, something you may never see again. Top musicians and composers playing inventive, spectacular music using the most advanced sound and visual scapes that were possible at the time. They wrote very inventive and evocative lyrics, the songs had messages that pertained to our struggles.

I’m so happy to see David and his daughter going out on tour doing new music, and I really like the new music… however, after listening to the rehash of Breathe and Time, it seems sad to me that the energy and poignancy of those epic works may have been lost. For those who have not seen and heard these performances live, I suggest you watch the Division Bell tour videos of those performances. They are spectacular both sonically and visually, with strength and vocals that is required to communicate the vital social messages that were composed by this band.

I am aware that for commercial reasons they are rehashing these old songs for the “greatest hits fans”. Maybe it’s because this was recorded in a rehearsal environment, but it seems sad to me that the power required for these songs may be gone.

I wish that they would focus more on the new music, as there is beauty and vitality in that.  I think I will rely on my memory of those magnificent events in the 70s when I was sitting in an arena about 100 feet from the band and listening to Dark Side of the Moon in arena quadraphonic sound for the first time.   That is what I will choose to remember. 

One final point, I think it’s such a great idea to have a dog at a rehearsal. A dog will always brings calm to the proceedings. 

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Here is the setlist for the tour:

Set 1

5 A.M.

Play Video

Black Cat

(Live debut)

Play Video

Luck and Strange

(Live debut)

Play Video

Speak to Me

(Pink Floyd song)

Play Video

Breathe (In the Air)

(Pink Floyd song) (first time since 2006)

Play Video

Time

(Pink Floyd song)

Play Video

Breathe (Reprise)

(Pink Floyd song)

Play Video

Fat Old Sun

(Pink Floyd song)

Play Video

Marooned

(Pink Floyd song) (First time since 2004)

Play Video

Wish You Were Here

(Pink Floyd song) (followed by band introductions)

Play Video

Vita Brevis

(Live debut)

Play Video

Between Two Points

(The Montgolfier Brothers cover) (Live debut)

Play Video

High Hopes

(Pink Floyd song)

Play Video

Set 2

Sorrow

(Pink Floyd song)

Play Video

The Piper's Call

(Live debut)

Play Video

A Great Day for Freedom

(Pink Floyd song) (First time since 2006)

Play Video

In Any Tongue

Play Video

The Great Gig in the Sky

(Pink Floyd song)

Play Video

A Boat Lies Waiting

Play Video

Coming Back to Life

(Pink Floyd song)

Play Video

Dark and Velvet Nights

(Live debut)

Play Video

Scattered

(Live debut)

Play Video

Encore:

Comfortably Numb

(Pink Floyd song)

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D