Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone heard of this guy Rick Beato?

16 hours ago, nursers said:

And also agree with combining Beato threads into one single one...

Also consider that the Sound, Studio, and Stage forum is the ideal venue for this kind of OT thread. I know the different forums sometimes feel like different communities, but I prefer to think of them as different venues.

This forum is the best keyboard forum on the internet, period. If the forum members would prefer to keep it focused, feel free to visit the Sound, Studio, and Stage venue. In fact, if you want, I can combine the Beato threads and move them to SSS.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 7
  • Love 1

23 minutes ago, Anderton said:

In fact, if you want, I can combine the Beato threads and move them to SSS.

Please do.

• Like 1

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4; IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

1 hour ago, MathOfInsects said:

Just let him have the rest of the 99.3% of the internet that he already has, and give us this .7% to talk about keyboards. A little corner. A keyboard corner, if you will. Hey, that's just crazy enough to stick!

If anyone is mad that Beato threads take up space here, why not bust on the person that starts them instead of Rick? AFAIK Rick is not a member, and to my knowledge is not asking anyone here to post links to his videos! Your quarrel should be with the KC member posting the thread. Most of them clearly have his name in the thread title – making them easy to skip over if one doesn't want to partake – but for some quirky reason, the folks who don't want to see those threads seem compelled to click on them so they can register their feelings; funny how that works. I think some people enjoy letting others know how much they don't like the guy! In my book that means he must be doing something right! 🙂 

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, Reezekeys said:

If anyone is mad that Beato threads take up space here, why not bust on the person that starts them instead of Rick? AFAIK Rick is not a member, and to my knowledge is not asking anyone here to post links to his videos! Your quarrel should be with the KC member posting the thread. Most of them clearly have his name in the thread title – making them easy to skip over if one doesn't want to partake – but for some quirky reason, the folks who don't want to see those threads seem compelled to click on them so they can register their feelings; funny how that works. I think some people enjoy letting others know how much they don't like the guy! In my book that means he must be doing something right! 🙂 

I'm always amazed at how often the "how dare anyone say anything about this famous stranger" comments then go on to make uncomplimentary generalizations about our local brethren and sistren. Safe to say I do not agree with your suggestion that I should start quarrels with other posters instead of making the general observation that a bunch of non-keyboard content related to the same person might be combined under a single thread.

No one's doing anything wrong by liking Beato. I'm just suggesting that all those not-wrong moves, since they're really a single topic, be grouped that way.

FWIW, I don't click on any of the Beato threads. It's the fact that I have to use the clause, "any of the Beato threads" that I'm responding to.

FWIAW, I see nothing wrong with entering a discussion, on a discussion board, and sharing an opinion that diverges from the OP. Not liking something is not the same as not being interested in it to the point of skipping over it--just as you made a point to come back and differ with my (I believe?) opinion in this thread. It's fair game IMO, and much more interesting than a bunch of empty Amen Corner-ing.

FIAAW, not only does Beato post those videos to start those kinds of discussions (and counts on them in fact), but many times a thread-starter is using the video for the same purpose. We can handle a little conversation. It's a good crew here...

• Like 4

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

38 minutes ago, Reezekeys said:

... I think some people enjoy letting others know how much they don't like the guy! In my book that means he must be doing something right!...

I don't like Hitler!

Quote:  "I think some people enjoy letting others know how much they don't like the guy! In my book that means he must be doing something right! 🙂

It's through this logic that some people become President! (all tongue in cheek)

There are people here who are annoyed with Beato himself, and then there are people for whom Beato himself is not the issue, but rather just number of posts imported from the Beatoverse that are clearly disproportional to the amount of keyboard content his videos bring to the table. The opinions of the former do not invalidate the opinions of the latter. I think Anderton would be doing the community of keyboard players a great service by shuffling these videos off to SSS, where any of us can participate in them anytime we like.

• Like 2

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

2 minutes ago, Adan said:

It's through this logic that some people become President!

There are people here who are annoyed with Beato himself, and then there are people for whom Beato himself is not the issue, but rather just number of posts about him that are clearly disproportional to the amount of keyboard content his videos bring to the table. The opinions of the former do not invalidate the opinions of the latter. I think Anderton would be doing the community of keyboard players a great service by shuffling these videos off to SSS, where any of us can participate in them anytime we like.

Speaking only for myself, I am neither annoyed with Beato nor the number of threads about him. I think he's a valuable contributor to the discussion of music on the web.

Disagreement doesn't mean dislike.  I love sharing my opinions and interacting with others. Sometimes I agree with Beato or a fellow KC'er, at other times I don't. 

SSS is a great community. If Craig moves the Beato threads to SSS, I'd be glad to visit there and disagree with Beato. Or agree. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Move the threads - or ban them, I don't care. I know where to find him. Actually, his videos show up on my YT home page, presumably due to my clicking on more than a few of them. BTW I'm not a subscriber, haven't listened to a single one of his theory videos, or bought any of his books. I only find his interviews informative and enjoyable and I like his take on the biz. Quite a few I've clicked on, listened for a minute or two, then bailed because it wasn't insteresting to me.

51 minutes ago, Adan said:

There are people here who are annoyed with Beato himself, and then there are people for whom Beato himself is not the issue, but rather just number of posts imported from the Beatoverse that are clearly disproportional to the amount of keyboard content his videos bring to the table.

It's the keyboardists here that keep posting threads with his content! Anyway, sure, move or ban. Still, why this guy above many others gets these strong and polarized reactions here is a mystery to me, but so be it. If he wasn't at a million subscribers nobody would notice, I suppose. Is it jealousy that someone with a contrary opinion happens to have amassed a large platform – with many in agreement with his take on things – and is making a viable living from it? Just asking questions! 🙂 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MathOfInsects said:

I'm always amazed at how often the "how dare anyone say anything about this famous stranger" comments then go on to make uncomplimentary generalizations about our local brethren and sistren. Safe to say I do not agree with your suggestion that I should start quarrels with other posters instead of making the general observation that a bunch of non-keyboard content related to the same person might be combined under a single thread.

I was reacting more to the pointed posts here that kinda went beyond "making the general observation that a bunch of non-keyboard content related to the same person might be combined under a single thread." Something about tearing somebody a new hole somewhere, stuff like that. That was not you and I apologize that by quoting you I may have given the impression you were in that group. I did not choose my words well when I typed "Your quarrel should be"; I meant it in the general sense, not you personally!

For the record, I would be more than happy to see a separate, single Beato thread - or as I said in my last post, ban any mention of the guy unless his videos relate to keyboards or keyboard playing! (I think his interview with Michael Omartian was fairly well received here!).

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Reezekeys said:

Still, why this guy above many others gets these strong and polarized reactions here is a mystery to me, but so be it. If he wasn't at a million subscribers nobody would notice...

It's been ongoing for quite some time now that when someone is flying below the radar nobody cares. 

Write a hit song or amass a million subscribers or do anything that becomes popular and it will bring out an equal amount of praise and pitchforks.😁

There's a fine line between Bobby Womack's nobody wants you when you're down and out and that moment of fame where some folks start singing  Ceelo's "F8ck You".🤣

Making it relevant to KBs....look no further than the Yamaha DX7.😁😎

• Haha 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I'd started a separate post showing this recently...

Dang...  If it had only pictured a keyboard, then it could stay on here...

Old No7

RockinOnThePorch.jpg.71bf8448f023d3d82958a42da8b8596a.jpg

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

3 hours ago, Anderton said:

Also consider that the Sound, Studio, and Stage forum is the ideal venue for this kind of OT thread. I know the different forums sometimes feel like different communities, but I prefer to think of them as different venues.

This forum is the best keyboard forum on the internet, period. If the forum members would prefer to keep it focused, feel free to visit the Sound, Studio, and Stage venue. In fact, if you want, I can combine the Beato threads and move them to SSS.

Great idea! 

• Haha 1

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

6 hours ago, Tusker said:

Speaking only for myself, I am neither annoyed with Beato nor the number of threads about him. I think he's a valuable contributor to the discussion of music on the web.

Disagreement doesn't mean dislike.  I love sharing my opinions and interacting with others. Sometimes I agree with Beato or a fellow KC'er, at other times I don't. 

SSS is a great community. If Craig moves the Beato threads to SSS, I'd be glad to visit there and disagree with Beato. Or agree. 🙂

Agreed. 

Jazz is the teacher, Funk is the preacher!

20 hours ago, MathOfInsects said:

FWIW, I don't click on any of the Beato threads. It's the fact that I have to use the clause, "any of the Beato threads" that I'm responding to.

Hmmm… so how do you explain clicking on this thread?

• Haha 2

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

If you automatically move all the Beato threads to another forum understand that you in fact are “cancelling” the discussion of what many of us consider educational content that would help many members of this forum… Me included. 

• Haha 1

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

6 minutes ago, HammondDave said:

If you automatically move all the Beato threads to another forum understand that you in fact are “cancelling” the discussion of what many of us consider educational content that would help many members of this forum… Me included. 

Moving those threads to SSS (Sound, Studio and Stage) doesn't cancel it.  More appropriate actually.

In fact, the SSS forum is more liberal to off topic and tangential dicussions.😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Here's a thought: if you have an idea you want to discuss on Keyboard Corner, whether the inspiration is a video you watched, a thread on another forum, a dream, an argument with your wife, acid indigestion, whatever . . . write a post about it. I think we too easily fall into the habit of posting a talky video and just saying "this guy speaks for me." Music videos are a different matter.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Adan said:

Here's a thought: if you have an idea you want to discuss on Keyboard Corner, whether the inspiration is a video you watched, a thread on another forum, a dream, an argument with your wife, acid indigestion, whatever . . . write a post about it. I think we too easily fall into the habit of posting a talky video and just saying "this guy speaks for me." Music videos are a different matter.

Maybe we could have an off topic subforum for that type of chit chat?

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

35 minutes ago, J.F.N. said:

For a couple decades, we would start non-KB-related thread titles with OT for Off-Topic

If OT isn't good enough to stop an uninterested person from reading the thread and posting in it, I doubt that a sub-forum would make much difference.  

Again, SSS (Sound, Studio and Stage) has become a catch-all sub-forum for non-specific topics.😎

• Like 5

PD

40 minutes ago, J.F.N. said:

I may have inadvertently confused the issue. I wasn't addressing OT versus non-OT.

(as an aside, I don't think the "T" means it has to be keyboard-centric. Beato's videos are not OT.)

All I was getting at is, you played a gig, you watched a video, you ate a sandwich, and now you have a thought about it . . . awesome . . . write it in a post. If it's OT, label it OT. Consider whether that might be more effective than expecting people to watch a whole video. 

Speaking for myself, I love the give and take, the banter, and even the arguments, that happen in a forum like this. That's all of us exercising our brainpower. But I almost never click on a video to hear someone talking, not Beato, not anyone. That feels like delegating the work to someone else.

• Like 4

On 7/2/2024 at 1:50 PM, wineandkeyz said:

Please do.

Please don't.  I like the threads.

For the police, there are plenty of seemingly acceptable non-keyboard threads here that don't seem to be triggers to y'all.

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

10 hours ago, HammondDave said:

True.  There are a ton of threads on the forum that discuss non-keyboard-specific music theory discussion that I would hate to see banned. 

The simple fact is that there are a great number of non keyboard subjects that are of interest to keyboardists that belong here.  Pretty ironic that the Anti-Boomer ranters are the most vocal gate keepers of this place.        

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

On 7/2/2024 at 3:20 PM, Reezekeys said:

That was not you and I apologize that by quoting you I may have given the impression you were in that group.

What!?!  We all know it was him and I’m not sure why you’re cowering down to the Bully Of The Forum.  
I took a break hoping he’d take a rest, but coming back it’s  just insufferable as ever.   

I’ll be joining Grey.   

See ya.  

• Like 1

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Just wondering if there's confusion as to where 'the other forum' (SSS) is? It's right here on the same website: https://forums.musicplayer.com/

I've never understood why people don't have that URL bookmarked. KC still appears at the top but you never know, you might actually enjoy SSS, or Ken's excellent photography forum, or even the collaboration and podcasting forums. Try it, you might like it.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

15 hours ago, Adan said:

Speaking for myself, I love the give and take, the banter, and even the arguments, that happen in a forum like this. That's all of us exercising our brainpower. But I almost never click on a video to hear someone talking, not Beato, not anyone. That feels like delegating the work to someone else.

You’ve made wonder about the style of communication where we let a video or a picture speak for us. It’s common in more combative areas of the internet I believe.

I do it too. Sometimes the piece of media illustrates what I am thinking more effectively than I can.

There are a couple of David Sancious keyboard videos and one Jor van der Poel sound-design video that you must be tired of seeing from me. Right?

i am not convinced that Rick’s videos are the source of any particular problem and therefore singling them out wouldn’t solve any particular problem. 

Rick hasn’t been doing the “grumpy boomer” act for long and he still has some of the best artist interviews on the internet, not to mention excellent teaching interviews. He’s about my age and I use the same “better in my day” line to get a rise out of my daughter. So I sense his tongue is at least partly in his cheek. Besides it’s fun click bait. I assume it monetizes better than the more content rich stuff he has posted.

To me, Rick’s a very good musicologist and a pretty untrained sociologist. That doesn’t mean he can’t convincingly state a social argument. It just means he lets the tail wag the dog in his argumentation sometimes. I am happy to point out when he does. Why not? Lets have fun.

Perhaps the bigger issue for us is when a valuable KCer feels that Rick is being excluded and by extension they are being excluded. That can destroy trust quickly. Perhaps we need to be more sensitive to each other’s concerns and fears all round?

I reserve the right to disagree with Rick when he’s full of it. Just as I do with my daughter. Bring it on.

😊

5 hours ago, Tusker said:

You’ve made wonder about the style of communication where we let a video or a picture speak for us. It’s common in more combative areas of the internet I believe.

I appreciate your thoughtful post. I'm never in those "combative areas" so can't speak to what happens there, but even in more civilized forums like this people will sometimes post a video and above write something like "see, I'm right that blues is just another form of classical music," or whatever. Now let's say that doesn't sound right to me and I want to offer a counterpoint, I have to watch a 12 minute video?

That doesn't work for me as a form of dialogue. If i see your words on the screen, I can quickly digest them or decide to skip over them. Clicking on a video is a commitment to sit there for 12 minutes, which typically includes some inane commercials. That's 12 minutes i could have been practicing on the keyboard that's next to the computer precisely so I can jump on it whenever I have a minute.

Also, at least with Beato, I don't get the sense that a lot of people are thinking to themselves "I have a thesis so let's see how I can support it . . . ah, this Beato video is perfect!" The sense I get is that it's more like "hey, I can be the guy to post the latest Beato video!" Not quite a van der Poel moment.

I'm generally not in favor of heavy handed moderating, and I doubt MPN has an AI Bot set up to detect certain thread titles and move them to another subforum, so even if Anderton did move a few threads it would be like castles in the sand.

I'll do me, you do you, and maybe we'll meet in the next Moog/Hammond/Taylor Swift thread.

• Like 1