Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Elton John vs Liberace. Who's the better piano player?

I submit Liberace based on the following evidence. (Although the second Elton video - Grey Seal- really highlights his sound that is made a mockery of in this):

• Like 1

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Liberace was a classical pianist, so I guess his chops were superior to Elton's. I would say his chops were equal to piano virtouosos of his era.

Then it's a question of the music itself-there, Elton John wins hands down...

• Dislike 1
Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

I want to say how cool it is that well-known piano players all sound different from each other: Elton sounds different from Joel; Dr. John sounds different from Elton; Bruce Hornsby sounds different from Dr. John; Herbie sounds different from Hornsby; Emerson sounds different from Herbie; Stevie Wonder sounds different from Keith Emerson; and so on.

While for the most part, I cannot distinguish the playing of Slash, Val Halen, Clapton, Page, Gilmour, Keith Richards, etc.  I can sometimes recognize differences in guitar tone among these players, but not differences in chord or note choices.

both players are FABULOUS!    

And they are pretty good on the piano as well… and have inspired me for decades…

in any “art” there are people who excel at technical aspects and those who excel at expressive aspects. I’ve met many stone sculptors who could technically reproduce any shape but completely unable to sculpt any emotional expression if their life depended on it. 

My partner feels a similar divide exist with musician’s which we’ve played with…

PEACE

_
_
_

When musical machines communicate, we had better listen…

http://youtube.com/@ecoutezpourentendre

Liberace without a doubt. Look at film of him and you can see.  He just isn't a songwriter.

• Like 1

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

1 hour ago, D. Gauss said:

Elton stuffed into a cage on the Simpsons should count for something:

Some props for the uhh Bally Table King. It's not as epic as the Great Shondell but it's pretty good.

• Like 1

FunMachine.