Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New board from Roland - seems to be a stripped-down RD-88. Additional abilities including USB audio are purchasable via Roland Cloud.

https://www.roland.com/global/products/rd-08/

• Like 1

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Interesting, and I appreciate you can sell expansion sounds, but I have an issue with software locked hardware. Clearly has to have a hardware audio interface, but you have to pay to activate it?

• Like 2

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

This offering leaves me very puzzled. In OZ there's only $100 difference between the RD08 and RD88 on the Roland website. On first impression it's a slightly cutdown RD88, but it's the same form factor/dimensions and the same weight. If I was considering weight and size, I would go for the RD88, same action, more controllers and ready to go USB audio. For me I don't access the Zencore stuff anyway. What advantage am I getting for saving 100 bucks?

• Like 2

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT, Kronos2-73, .
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood Orchestra Opus, Spitfire Symphony Orchestra, Sonuscore Elysion and Orchestra Complete 3, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.

30 minutes ago, Paul Woodward said:

Interesting, and I appreciate you can sell expansion sounds, but I have an issue with software locked hardware. Clearly has to have a hardware audio interface, but you have to pay to activate it?

I can see now that it's Roland's attempt at shoehorning people into Roland cloud. In my view, terribly cynical marketing because Roland cloud isn't for everyones' music making workflow.

So I guess, answering my own question, the RD08 is specifically almost a Roland Cloud "dumb terminal"?

• Like 3

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT, Kronos2-73, .
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood Orchestra Opus, Spitfire Symphony Orchestra, Sonuscore Elysion and Orchestra Complete 3, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.

I think it’s a cheap move and, as others have said, is a stripped down RD88 (which is also midi 2.0 compatible) for a meagre saving. Hell, that model has a working audio interface and MainStage support as well as downloadable sounds.

Baffling really. Buy a used RD88, should cost you less when you factor in the upgrades needed.

Not suprising that they are using a new board to get people to 'buy in' to their software ecosystem. Ni and Arturia been doing this for years and even the Korg Keystage works best with Korg software (although it is aligned with Ableton). Are we seeing the end of generic USB MIDI controllers from the big companies who also offer a range of software options?

• Like 2

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

Seems weird to me as well.  So is it some massive cost savings to discontinue a keyboard you were already making and design a (sorta) brand new one?  I'm sure the bean counter were hard at work to answer that and the answer must have been "yep".   

I felt the RD88 was too cut down for my liking so this is certainly not of interest :)  

• Like 1

Looks like they're trying to appeal to various users: the cost-conscious stage-only player, someone who will connect it with a computer-based rig or a little of both. Major retailer street-prices reflect a $300 difference between the RD-08/RD-88.  I see where this might be a good choice, though the user interface is the same as on the RD88 - which I found awkward at time, especially when 'menu-diving' beyond the basics. YMMV though...

I've owned two RD88s. Good compact stage piano-synth instrument, but the final one was sold off when condensing my stage rig; the inclusion of built-in speakers and expanded front panel made the Yamaha CK88 a better choice for basic, live work. If Roland piano and synth models are needed, I've got that covered with an expanded Fantom-7 and GAIA 2. The RD-08 could be a good option for many. I just wish the company had done a refresh/upgrade of the front panel. Will be interesting to see how this one sells.

• Like 1

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

7 hours ago, DeltaJockey said:

I can see now that it's Roland's attempt at shoehorning people into Roland cloud. In my view, terribly cynical marketing because Roland cloud isn't for everyones' music making workflow.

So I guess, answering my own question, the RD08 is specifically almost a Roland Cloud "dumb terminal"?

No, I don't think it is an attempt to lure users to Roland Cloud. It doesn't appear to have any cloud functionality at all. It looks like an RD-88 with half the buttons and dials removed and a chunk of functionality locked behind a paywall. There is no need to have a cloud subscription, just a free account to buy the lifetime key. 

A cloud integrated board that could talk directly to the cloud over USB (as a minimum, wireless even better), designed to provide a hands on interface to Zenology Pro and options for running the model expansions would be something to think about. 

This dreadful RD-88 interface with half the controls gone and functionality crippled till you pay again, requiring a USB stick to load anything and a miniscule amount of onboard storage that can hold only 2 wave expansions? Absolutely not. 

Unless they plan to sell this at a meaningful discount to the RD-88, there is no reason to touch it. And even then, it is still a no. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zephonic said:

For a while now I’ve felt Roland needed to fill the gap between the RD-88 and RD-2000. I didn’t think they’d need this, but I’m sure their market research told them otherwise.

This isn't filling the gap. This is putting the RD-88 into reverse. Maybe as a budget RD it may have half a chance. 

The RD-2000 is due a replacement. For their flagship stage piano not to support their flagship Zen-core architecture for this length of time is not a good look. 

I used to love Roland pianos. Back in the day, the RD series was the best in the business. I still own a XV3080 and enjoy the older sounds including some of the SRX boards.

I don’t like the modern Roland pianos. Sound is dull and lifeless and the keyboard actions are slow and ponderous. 

This is such an underwhelming release.

I would have thought a better play would have been 

Roland RD1 - featuring Roland pianos past and present. 88 keys. Pitch and mod above. Internal power supply. Individual outs. XLR outs. Narrowest ever design. 18kg 

Roland RD73 - compact 73 key model. 15kg

• Like 2

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

I don’t get it…it’s a building that turns into a robot. I don’t get it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

2 hours ago, The Piano Man said:

Roland RD1 - featuring Roland pianos past and present. 88 keys. Pitch and mod above. Internal power supply. Individual outs. XLR outs. Narrowest ever design. 18kg 

While I don't see they point of "narrow" (in the front-to-back dimension), it does seem popular (cf most of the new Casios, and the Yamaha P223/5)

2 hours ago, The Piano Man said:

Roland RD73 - compact 73 key model. 15kg

This - every time. Needs 5-pin MIDI port.

Cheers, Mike.

12 hours ago, DeltaJockey said:

Hah... yes "hate the cloud"

Is this Rolands keyboard version of real world cloud "seeding" 

Give them what they think they want to ultimately control the world. Well the keyboard world anyway.

Roland "NO CLOUD FOR YOU!"

For me, as someone that loves Roland keybed PH04 and 05 feel but uses iPad instead of a Macbook with Mainstage for sounds in live performance, this adds class compliant usb. That is what really sets it appart from both the RD2000 and RD88 (which are not class compliant) for me. Main reason I didn’t pickup an RD2000 although I would die for its interface. I have an RD800 and RD64 both of which I love but RD800 is getting heavy and I really miss 88 keys on the RD64. All work with Apple Mainstage but not with iPad. Something like the RD08 will. I imagine at some point Roland may go class compliant usb with their flagship (have no idea why they haven’t accept maybe to lock you into only using their Cloud or Mainstage etc) but for now, if you use an iPad for things like Pianoteq, VB3, Audio Modeling horns and all the plethora of synth apps on iPad, this new board may be worth considering. I certainly has got my attention.

1 hour ago, MarkusB47 said:

For me, as someone that loves Roland keybed PH04 and 05 feel but uses iPad instead of a Macbook with Mainstage for sounds in live performance, this adds class compliant usb. That is what really sets it appart from both the RD2000 and RD88 (which are not class compliant) for me. Main reason I didn’t pickup an RD2000 although I would die for its interface. I have an RD800 and RD64 both of which I love but RD800 is getting heavy and I really miss 88 keys on the RD64. All work with Apple Mainstage but not with iPad. Something like the RD08 will. I imagine at some point Roland may go class compliant usb with their flagship (have no idea why they haven’t accept maybe to lock you into only using their Cloud or Mainstage etc) but for now, if you use an iPad for things like Pianoteq, VB3, Audio Modeling horns and all the plethora of synth apps on iPad, this new board may be worth considering. I certainly has got my attention.

I guess then, you are one of the target markets for this new piano, using only an ios device. I've never had an issue with class compliance as I only use it with computers and rely less on inbuilt features. Though I do install the specific driver from Roland, I don't have a problem using the generic setup for most of the functionality I need. For me this feature would not be enough of a drawcard to sway me over having the RD88. I tend to live with the idealism of being as standalone as possible with my gear. This includes software that will run indefinitely without the need to phone home. I can picture myself after the apocalypse, self powering and playing my virtual synths to my heart's content, while the storm clouds swirl over the horizon and the social anarchy races forth😀

Effort to shave $300 off the RD88 because it is not selling well against what…. 

RD88 is already less than the Yamaha CK88, Kurzweil SP7 88 and SP6 88, Yamaha P515 and Kawai ES520.

What has an 88k weighted action and other similar features for less?  

Casio PX5S, PXS5000, PXS3100, Korg D1, Yamaha MX88, DGX670, P-225.  🤷‍♂️ 

$999 is a pretty good price for a PH4 with class compliant USB I suppose if you are using another device for your sounds. But it’s an upgrade??? Bizarre. 

Maybe this is an effort to get a lower entry point for Roland Cloud?  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Hoping they may have went tor a lightweight board but at 13.5kg its not as "weight friendly" as many of its competitors. Shame as they kept it slim but Smoke and mirrors.

To me around 11.5kg is max id want to schlep. If anyone can build one less than that or a 73 / 76 note version under 10kg id consder to replace my current PX330

The cloud leaves me cold ever since they introduced it so thats a negative for me.

That aside at 1700 Aussie dollars its not the budget keyboard they are trying to make out even though i generally like the feel of Roland pianos (not having tried this) so it doesnt even twitch the "bargain buy" nerve

At least it has one midi din so that was welcomed that many competitors are leaving off.

At 1700bucks I dont see this as a low cost stage piano in Aussie. Maybe a keyboard that came in around 1200 aussie bux fits that criteria but generally none of the competitors here are under 1500 bux. Its just the way the aussie market is kept artificially high.

Roland could build a budet stage considering their pianos are better priced lets face it their software is payed for by now. 4 zones, decent sounds, midi dins. Lightweight under 11.5 kg and forget this clown stuff ohh i mean cloud stuff

Was hoping they had hit a low price I'm finding new stuff here just isnt value for money leaving me considering only used stuff as Im looking for a weighted lightweight board that might replace my PX330. Maybe?

To me in used the PX5s maybe the ticket although its new price is up there with the roland maybe 200 bux less. But at least they are out there used.

Fortunately i have my semi weighted 88 sorted but was maybe hoping for an affordable lightweight hammer action 88 this roland isnt it.

• Like 1

If you look at some of the Oz retailers, it's advertised as only $52 less than an RD88. Not even worth considering in my view.

6 minutes ago, DeltaJockey said:

If you look at some of the Oz retailers, it's advertised as only $52 less than an RD88. Not even worth considering in my view.

That makes no sense at all. You could knock more than that off an instore purchase of the RD88 unless Roland has created a "dont do this order"

ROLAND just give us a simple stage piano for a reasonable price instead of this weird marketing tomfoolery

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AUSSIEKEYS said:

Hoping they may have went tor a lightweight board but at 13.5kg its not as "weight friendly" as many of its competitors. Shame as they kept it slim but Smoke and mirrors.

To me around 11.5kg is max id want to schlep. If anyone can build one less than that or a 73 / 76 note version under 10kg id consder to replace my current PX330

The cloud leaves me cold ever since they introduced it so thats a negative for me.

That aside at 1700 Aussie dollars its not the budget keyboard they are trying to make out even though i generally like the feel of Roland pianos (not having tried this) so it doesnt even twitch the "bargain buy" nerve

At least it has one midi din so that was welcomed that many competitors are leaving off.

At 1700bucks I dont see this as a low cost stage piano in Aussie. Maybe a keyboard that came in around 1200 aussie bux fits that criteria but generally none of the competitors here are under 1500 bux. Its just the way the aussie market is kept artificially high.

Roland could build a budet stage considering their pianos are better priced lets face it their software is payed for by now. 4 zones, decent sounds, midi dins. Lightweight under 11.5 kg and forget this clown stuff ohh i mean cloud stuff

Was hoping they had hit a low price I'm finding new stuff here just isnt value for money leaving me considering only used stuff as Im looking for a weighted lightweight board that might replace my PX330. Maybe?

To me in used the PX5s maybe the ticket although its new price is up there with the roland maybe 200 bux less. But at least they are out there used.

Fortunately i have my semi weighted 88 sorted but was maybe hoping for an affordable lightweight hammer action 88 this roland isnt it.

88 weighed key action is one thing.  Comparable to the PH4 is in the hands of the player.  

Weight for about the same or less $.

PX5S - 24lbs

PXS3100 - 25.1lbs

D1 - 35.27lbs 

MX88 - 30.6lbs 

DGX670 - 47+lbs 

P225 - 25.37lbs 

ES120 - 27.6lbs 

More $ 

SP6 - 27.25lbs

CK88 - 28.8lbs 

We’re  not getting under 26lbs for an 88k weighed action without compromises. 

• Like 1

Just now, AUSSIEKEYS said:

That makes no sense at all. You could knock more than that off a instore purchase of the RD88 unless Roland has created a "dont do this order"

ROLAND just give us a simple stage piano for a reasonable price instead of this weird marketing tomfoolery

I suppose we could be a little less antagonistic about it, and just shrug our shoulders and say it's not for us, and buy an RD88, which I do really like mine. It fits the bill for my version of a weighted lightweight. That's probably why I'm confused about it. Maybe there's something we're missing?  Learn me someone 😀

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, DeltaJockey said:

I suppose we could be a little less antagonistic about it, and just shrug our shoulders and say it's not for us, and buy an RD88, which I do really like mine. It fits the bill for my version of a weighted lightweight. That's probably why I'm confused about it. Maybe there's something we're missing?  Learn me someone 😀

Its good to hear you're still liking the RD88. So that gives good credence to the platform as I know you are well versed on various keyboards.

As you say maybe there's something we are missing. I guess we wont know till we hear some owner reviews as the marketing is blurb.

And perhaps I'm not the target market as i want a simple zoned stage piano for live work. Like the old days. Not interested in its computer related abilities. 

Hey i was dismayed when i bought the first M Audio 88 note controller. It was feature rich and cheap an actual real bargain in Aussie back then but it was really the beginning of DAW controllers and wasnt that suited to live work. I soon got rid of it as it wasnt for me. Thats when i went away from controllers and to digital pianos instead

I guess I'm of another era. Hee hee

Hey Delta ive actually just started fooling with a tablet for chart storage like I mentioned to you.

I may become a "thoroughly modern Millie" yet

Ok you've convinced me to not feel "against" the new RD08  hee hee

27 minutes ago, AUSSIEKEYS said:

Ok you've convinced me to not feel "against" the new RD88  hee hee

It appears like the RD08 is making the RD88 seem like good value. I used to be a little skeptical of the recent Roland actions after having an FA08 with the Ivory G action. I found it too sluggish for my liking, and ivory feel a bit too course textured. I feel the PHA4 is good advancement from that, and once learning it's character, have no trouble bonding with it. To be frank, I have very little trouble with most actions, as long as I give them the time to get used to them, and my fingers really thank me for playing regularly between different feeling actions!

Pity you didn't manage to swing past the other week. You could have had a good play of my RD88 :) I think compared to the old Casio you would have found it to be at least acceptable.

Of interest to me, the RD88's usb audio has more than just the 16bit/44Khz. I know it can at least do 24/48, which is more than some other keyboard interfaces.

And I think it allows me to select up to 96Khz in the DAW audio interface settings.

The RD08/88 dimensions are very slim laterally, but the Rolands compromise are its vertical height. But I suppose you have to put the folded action weighting somewhere.

Only 25 favourites and 40 scenes, so very much a basic entry level board.  The RD-88 has 400 scenes and 100 favourites.

Here is Australia the RD-08 is listed at AU$1889.  The RD-88 is AU$1579.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

The RD-08 Upgrade is purchased through Roland Cloud and done via the Roland Cloud manager.  

This is definitely a drop in entry price with a catch.  If you want the RD-08 to do what it was designed to do (capabilities are there but turned off) owners have to make an account and a first purchase.  In fact if you buy one lifetime key the upgrade grade is included.  

Sound and feature upgrade for the RD-08 Stage Piano

SuperNATURAL Acoustic Piano 3

Apple MainStage integration

Support for Wave Expansions on Roland Cloud

USB audio interface capabilities

Upgrade available with a Lifetime Key purchase in Roland Cloud Manager

Wave Expansions are available with Roland Cloud membership or Lifetime Key purchases in Roland Cloud Manager.

3 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

The RD-08 Upgrade is purchased through Roland Cloud and done via the Roland Cloud manager.  

This is definitely a drop in entry price with a catch.  If you want the RD-08 to do what it was designed to do (capabilities are there but turned off) owners have to make an account and a first purchase.  In fact if you buy one lifetime key the upgrade grade is included.  

Sound and feature upgrade for the RD-08 Stage Piano

SuperNATURAL Acoustic Piano 3

Apple MainStage integration

Support for Wave Expansions on Roland Cloud

USB audio interface capabilities

Upgrade available with a Lifetime Key purchase in Roland Cloud Manager

Wave Expansions are available with Roland Cloud membership or Lifetime Key purchases in Roland Cloud Manager.

I can understand the attraction of all this if the RD08 was considerably cheaper than the RD88, but it's almost the same price. So it must just come down to the alternative set of features.