Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Making a ‘Rhodes’ from a reface…

Hey Paul Im always interested in conversions like this and I saw this somewhere last week and my first thought (to take nothing away from his work) was why such a basic keybed to use when there are so many to choose from. Especially adding weights to it when he could have choosen a weighted one to be done with it. Great furniture job with great attention to detail non the less

There is a more closer to the point one that a fellow did years ago in the styles of a Rhodes elsewhere on the net. Worth a look at if you are interested in coversions.

2 hours ago, Josh Paxton said:

So it's a cheap controller connected to the guts of a Reface, with a handmade shell that required an ungodly amount of time and effort? Whatever floats his boat, I guess...

My thoughts exactly. Maybe he was trying to make a point about the ‘high’ quality of the reface sounds, but that’s a lot of work. While I admire the carpentry I would have matched that with a decent keybed and sound engine. Still, that would defeat the point he is trying to make I guess.

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

Super cool regardless. Then again I only wish I had the woodworking skills to do custom shells like that. Wouldn't put that much time in for a Reface-based unit though. Although I have heard people say that they'd love a full-size Reface with the EP's, so this is perhaps one way of doing that. I'd be more inclined to do something like this with either an actual synth of some type or if a keyboard I had was beyond repairing back to the original specs in its current state.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

The CK range is essentially a full size Reface CP and YC with piano and synth sounds. He could have had a nice 88 note version from the same board with the benefit of the additional audio and usb.

• Like 2

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

Well, it's a YouTube video, made to garner many views to promote his studio furniture business.

The Reface (CP) really has one of the best hardware Rhodes sounds! I haven't tried the CK but I suppose it's the full-size version in a way. I agree that he picked one of the worst MIDI keybeds you could find. 61 keys, too? Even though a Rhodes feels nothing like an acoustic piano, it still feels way better than a freakin' Keystation.

But I do love when you have people that can do things like these. Some people build their own home studio desks, hardware stands etc...I'll just never be one of those people 😄

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Reface's has one of the best unweighted keybeds i've ever played but it is mini...

If CK61 had this keybed(normal size keys) it would cost 200 to 300 euros more...

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

Maybe it’s only me, but as much as i like my Reface CP i like the the Rhodes samples in the YC / CK much more. The first Rhodes in the Reface is too murkey and the second has too much bell, just my 2cents… 

• Like 1

Nord Stage 2 76, Nord Electro 5D 73, Rhodes Mk2 73, Sequential Prophet 10 Rev4, Akai Miniak Synth, Roland JC 120

3 hours ago, tapes said:

Well, it's a YouTube video, made to garner many views to promote his studio furniture business.

Bingo. It was an excellent display of woodworking skills.😎

• Like 2

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

The Reface Rhodes is the same one used in the CP4. I'd just spend those thousands of dollars on this Vintage Vibe CP4 shell to get full access to a professional-grade keyboard in the same Rhodes-style case.

https://www.vintagevibe.com/blogs/news/custom-piano-shell-u2-yamaha-cp4

• Like 1

Numa X Piano 73 | Yamaha CP4 | Mojo 61 | Motion Sound KP-612s | Hammond M3

I applaud the woodworking skills if you enjoy that sort of thing.   But after seeing the total cost I'd just go buy a Crumar 17 used and call it a day.

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

2 hours ago, stoken6 said:

The Studiologic SL73 Studio (or 88) gives you a Rhodes-like Fatar TP/100 action without the faff of adding weights.

Add a MIDI cable. The rest is furniture. 

Cheers, Mike.

Wow, now this has opened a new project path for me!. I own all the Refaces and an Studiologic SL88 Studio which has sat unused for years. I had also toyed with the idea of adding a better keybed to my Reface CP... Now I can do it with items I already have 🥳

I watched it without sound and marveled at his woodworking skills until the very end where he played it. Wish I'd kept the sound off all the way through...

Clarification: I wasn't denigrating the guy's playing, I just thought that keyboard sounded awful and not at all Rhodes-like. What am I missing?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Veering off topic here, but what song is it that he's playing from about 2:08 to 2:20? I know I've heard it, but I haven't had enough coffee yet...

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

I admire folks with those woodworking skills, as I sure as heck don’t have them. I suppose if I were bent on having a “vibey” Rhodes thing in my rig, I’d go after a Crumar Seven. The sound and feel is uncanny. Of course, there’s the $2.3K price tag that runs with it.

001298A0-30D0-4F01-BDF9-EDC326C1577E.jpeg

• Like 2

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw