Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Other famous Rhodes sounds besides Stevie's.

I wasn't in love with Rhodes sound on Red Clay when it first came out, but it has grown on me over the years. Less bell tone, less sustain. IMHO, has a more organic, almost acoustic instrument sound rather than most. 

Anyone ever try to get this sound?

• Like 2

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

Another Jan Hammer favorite with  Elvin Jone's and Gene Perla - 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

Of course, George Duke's "sound"

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

1 hour ago, mate stubb said:

Jan Hammer had a super compressed dirty Rhodes sound with little bell that I really loved on this track.

we play beck's freeway jam, i run that through a fender twin simulation and compress the output at the mixer using Guido's Gemini module as the source Rhodes physical model.  Sweet ....

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I always loved the Supertramp Rhodes sound. It's distinctive enough to get its own patch/program in multiple keyboards.

Bob James has my idea of the perfect Rhodes, super dyno.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Find 675 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Find 675 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

54 minutes ago, Synthaholic said:

I always loved the Supertramp Rhodes sound. It's distinctive enough to get its own patch/program in multiple keyboards.

Especially how they could make it sound so uncannily like a Wurlitzer! ;)

Herbie had/has the sound I like for most things, but I do go for the Bob James when he tones down the bell (above Autumn Leaves a good example). Interesting that Herbie used a Kronos on stage when he was here this summer. 

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

Here for the gear.

Famous/favorite recorded Rhodes sounds of yesteryear would be considered a preset today.😁

As much as I love the Rhodes sound, I do not have a favorite version of it. I listen to how it's played.😎

• Like 4

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Same here.  Its about composition and hands.

My favorite Rhodes stuff is simply  great stuff.   Many of my favorite Rhodes tunes, like Spain,  I like even better played on piano.  There is a few pieces I like best on a Rhodes, such as Senor Mouse, but I think they are in the minority.   Before decent digital pianos it was a lot harder to tour with a piano so you used an EP.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

The ”classics” are:

1) Herbie’s ”buttery”, no-fx Suitcase

2) Chick’s crispy Mark V

3) Zawinul’s Mu-Tron tone (still haven’t managed to get this exactly!). Scott Kinsey has also really nailed this. 

4) the Chorus L.A. Rhodes, like on all Quincy Jones records (MJ) etc. 

But a few others:

Chick’s slightly overdriven Mark II, like on the RtF outtake, the Rhodes version of ”Matrix” (what a solo, by the way!) 

And here’s a left field choice. Bugge Wesseltoft, ”Change”, from 2001. I love a tine-y Rhodes sound too. 

Herbie's sound on the Fat Albert Rotunda album and his slightly different sound on the Head Hunters album. Stevie's sound on Sunshine of My Life. Those are relatively early Rhodes sounds that have a lot of "thonk" on them. Bob James sound one the One album for something different from the more organic sounds previously mentioned. Chick's sound for something with a more "cool" (temperature-wise) sound. Richard Tee's sound was great too. It was better for chordal work and comping. Trying to solo with that sound is a little too undefined. Actually, another accidentally good Rhodes sound was on Cedar Walton's Animation album. Some of the notes were out of tune but in such a way that it tweaked your ear in a good way. I haven't cared much for some for the more heavily processed Rhodes sounds but that's just personal preference and we're all going to have our likes and dislikes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CEB said:

Before decent digital pianos it was a lot harder to tour with a piano so you used an EP.

Right. Just like an electric guitar, it was a natural progression to experiment with and use similar effects on EPs. 

if folks had been using wah, phaser, flange, chorus, delay and distortion on acoustic pianos in recordings, there would be a similar conversation.😁😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

17 minutes ago, 16251 said:

BTW - I'm still wondering if someone has any insight into Herbie's Red Clay sound?

It was those early days (1970 in this case). More knowledgeable folks can probably say more in detail, but I’m guessing it’s about micing/recording and the settings on the piano. Those Miles albums of that period (Filles de Kilimanjaro, Bitches Brew) also share that same clunky, decaying sound. Fat Albert Rotunda, too. There’s also a Joe Henderson album (Power To The People), where he plays a similar sounding EP. 

Herbie’s sound changed towards the Head Hunters version on Mwandishi/Crossings/Sextant already, so they definitely did something to it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tapes said:

It was those early days (1970 in this case). More knowledgeable folks can probably say more in detail, but I’m guessing it’s about micing/recording and the settings on the piano. Those Miles albums of that period (Filles de Kilimanjaro, Bitches Brew) also share that same clunky, decaying sound. Fat Albert Rotunda, too. There’s also a Joe Henderson album (Power To The People), where he plays a similar sounding EP. 

Herbie’s sound changed towards the Head Hunters version on Mwandishi/Crossings/Sextant already, so they definitely did something to it. 

At the time of Head Hunters, Secrets, etc. I liked his later sound.  I remember listening to Red Clay and Fat Albert and found them not as good (the Rhodes sound, not the music which is all great,) but they grown on me tremendously.  More funky like Wurlitzer. I still like the new sound but I'm glad I can switch and keep it fresh. 

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

All of Herbie's 70's Rhodes work is the official gold standard IMO, but the way he makes it sound on the 'Sunlight' album is special, I think!

• Like 3

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7