Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Must Fly With A Keyboard HELP

I have a vacation planned to Roatan, big group thing with some friends. The resort we're staying at has let some people in the group play gigs while they're there and is actually hoping they play again.  I've gigged with these guys in the US but never there. No capability to backline. Supposedly they have a Bose stick thingee for a PA.

I'm perfectly fine with Mainstage for the whole gig, but I need to figure out how to get a usable keyboard there.

So I'm looking for a lightweight keyboard to do the gig with...Something that I could fly with, and won't break the bank, as I'm probably not going to make it part of my normal rig. 61-76 keys?  I've never done a whole show on a 61 key keyboard but I typically gig on a 73 key NS4.

Gig will require a lot of piano/EP/organ so I'd like something that's not terrible on action, but I'm willing to make compromises!

Any specific recommendations on what to buy and how to travel with this? Never done it before.

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

Flying straight into the Island so I can't imagine that anything could come from the mainland, but it might be worth a phone call.

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

Get a nanokontrol with buttons, knobs and switches and program that to your mainstage. Then when you get to town buy literally any casio or yamaha psr with usb midi as a note message generator. A small powered hub is all you'd need to add if your computer has an audio out. Yeah its cheap feeling keys ect but it's a clutch situation and you'd have maybe $150 into it.

FunMachine.

4 hours ago, Iconoclast said:

I've never done a whole show on a 61 key keyboard

That's all I've ever used on any show or gig I've done in the last 17 years, but I've never carried mine in the passenger compartment of an airplane. Better hope it's a bigger plane as some overheads might not work, and it can be at the discretion of the cabin crew as to whether you can bring it onboard or not.

BF's suggestion is the best of this thread if ya ask me - but I suppose you'd be taking a chance that someone on that island will have a keyboard to buy, borrow, or rent. Is the gig heavy on synth sounds & custom patches, or can you get by with bread & butter sounds? If so, you may not need even the NanoK - but imo that's a great piece to have in the toolbox for emergencies anyway, and not that expensive.

27 minutes ago, Baldwin Funster said:

Get a nanokontrol with buttons, knobs and switches and program that to your mainstage. Then when you get to town buy literally any casio or yamaha psr with usb midi as a note message generator. A small powered hub is all you'd need to add if your computer has an audio out. Yeah its cheap feeling keys ect but it's a clutch situation and you'd have maybe $150 into it.

Roatan is an island off the coast of Honduras. There will be no where to buy a keyboard there.  I do already use the Korg nano control and the SLMixface and either one will fit that bill.

2 hours ago, 16251 said:

check this out.

The KC forum doing what it does best - spending other people's money! 🙂 

Buy a >$1000 keyboard (with "7 - 8 weeks lead time" BTW), specifically to play a few informal gigs on a Caribbean island? I wish I could do something like that. Maybe in another life!

This does look a quality product and way beyond the "folding keyboards" I've seen on Facebook ads.

• Like 2

If I thought I'd be doing more fly gigs, that might be a player. Looks amazing.

4 hours ago, Iconoclast said:

Any specific recommendations on what to buy and how to travel with this? Never done it before.

Hard to recommend (or warn against) anything other than what one has had experience owning. My Roland A800 Pro is 61 keys, feels good to me and is 10 lbs (4.5Kg), but probably overkill for a few gigs since it has a lot of controls you probably don't need. I've flown it all over the world in a light SKB case. I can't imagine putting a 61 key in an overhead though I can tell mine would probably fit in any twin-aisle jet's cabin - however it would obviously take up more room than what one might need for a single rollerbag or backpack, so with a full plane you better make sure you're in an early boarding group and have a friendly cabin crew! BTW if anyone's put a 73-key in an overhead bin, please chime in - I'd be surprised to hear that anyone has done it.

Since you say you're "probably not going to make it part of my normal rig", and it's only gonna be a few gigs, I would probably opt for the cheapest 61 with a recognizable brand name - something like this, or maybe this one if you need a few buttons to select patches. Too bad these cheapies lack an expression pedal input, which compromises organ playing.

• Like 1

A used ds61 (about $500) and your nanokontrol, might be a consideration. But that's not going to be much better than the A800pro. They pretty much have the same keys. I have both. I know you've ruled out 49 keys but A500pro is a cool board. I even took delivery of a A300pro today. Yeah I have a Roland Apro addiction problem. Boards with sounds aren't going to be a better deal than a DS61 and good feeling midi controllers other than a used roland are going to cost more than the DS.

And all that is not including a heavy duty canvas bag or flight case. And believe me a sub-par flight case isn't any better than a heavy bag. It's actually worse cause then people will throw it around more.

• Like 1

FunMachine.

11 hours ago, Reezekeys said:

I can't imagine putting a 61 key in an overhead though I can tell mine would probably fit in any twin-aisle jet's cabin - however it would obviously take up more room than what one might need for a single rollerbag or backpack, so with a full plane you better make sure you're in an early boarding group and have a friendly cabin crew!

I've seen people bring on-board bulky items such as acoustic guitars and place them in the overhead bins, so I'm almost certain a 61-key would fit too assuming it isn't in an oversized or super puffy case.  Certain airports are notorious for attracting a clientele which stretches the carry-on regulations (I'm looking at you, MCO).  But I don't think I'd try it flying to an unknown destination I'd never been to, in something that might be smaller than, say, a 737.

I've seen overhead bins without "separators" so a 61-key keyboard would fit, but if the plane was crowded I would think you'd hear grumblings from other passengers looking for space for their rollerbags - hence my advice to be in an early boarding group. I only have experience with United so other carriers may have different layouts on their planes. A small but significant percentage of our flights are on regional jets too - sometimes I can barely get my backpack into one of those overheads. I see that the Roatan airport handles 737s so there's definitely a shot.

This is exactly the situation that highlights the advantages of a Mainstage & NanoK setup. It also sounds more like a vacation with occasional playing rather than an official gig. Speaking for myself only - I'd be happy scrounging up pretty much any 61-key keyboard as long as it would fit in a plane cabin. For that purpose, the smaller & lighter the better - and if compromises have to be made, so be it – you deal. Since Iconoclast has said he doesn't want to make it part of his normal rig, why spend a lot of money on a board (and a bag to carry it) you're only gonna use a few times? Unless the gigs are paying great money of course - that might alter the equation a little!

On 10/16/2023 at 1:04 PM, Iconoclast said:

So I'm looking for a lightweight keyboard to do the gig with...Something that I could fly with, and won't break the bank, as I'm probably not going to make it part of my normal rig. 61-76 keys?  I've never done a whole show on a 61 key keyboard but I typically gig on a 73 key NS4.

NS4 or NS3?  

If you have a NS3 Compact, I can vouch for it flying like a champ, assuming you'll be on airlines with typical baggage allowances.  Put it in the Nord gig bag, put that inside a Pelican 1750 (no foam).  Put a couple of random 1-2" thick blocks of foam to fill up the few free inches on either end, and there's still room for a Yamaha FC7 expression pedal.  Comes in right at 49lbs, check it, no worries.  I've been flying with 73-key semi-weighted action NE2's, NS2's and NS3's that way for like fifteen years now on a very regular basis.  Never an issue.

If you have a NS4 Compact, the same basic setup would probably work.  Looks like it's a pound heavier and half an inch deeper but you should still be OK.  Might have to lose the FC7.  

If you have the NS4 weighted 73 that’s probably a no-go with this case setup. 

On 10/17/2023 at 2:32 AM, Baldwin Funster said:

A used ds61 (about $500) and your nanokontrol, might be a consideration. But that's not going to be much better than the A800pro. They pretty much have the same keys. I have both. I know you've ruled out 49 keys but A500pro is a cool board. I even took delivery of a A300pro today. Yeah I have a Roland Apro addiction problem. Boards with sounds aren't going to be a better deal than a DS61 and good feeling midi controllers other than a used roland are going to cost more than the DS.

And all that is not including a heavy duty canvas bag or flight case. And believe me a sub-par flight case isn't any better than a heavy bag. It's actually worse cause then people will throw it around more.

I can second the A800 pro. Same(ish) keybed as the VR09 but with aftertouch. Lots of knobs and sliders too, but it weighs next to nothing and remains a useful spare board even when your ‘holiday’ is over. Can output midi and USB simultaneously too and run off an iPad connected to it. Often selling very cheap; one  local to me for £80 or less (around 100 dollars I guess).

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

My suggestion is don't consider overhead space.    A lot of these short routes in Central America are done in those tiny planes (1 seat on one side / 2 seats on the other) that have no overhead bins (IIRC).  Be prepared to check in at the gate even if you were able to put in overhead bin on the flight from the US. 

• Like 1

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

On 10/17/2023 at 6:11 AM, Ibarch said:

The best action I've found in a cheap 61 note keyboard is the casio ct-s500. Has a few usable sounds on too. I don't know if the same keybed is used on other models but if so the ct-s400 is even cheaper. 

Same action on CT-S1, CT-S400 and CT-S1000V. 

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

On 10/19/2023 at 5:34 PM, Rod S said:

My suggestion is don't consider overhead space.    A lot of these short routes in Central America are done in those tiny planes (1 seat on one side / 2 seats on the other) that have no overhead bins (IIRC).  Be prepared to check in at the gate even if you were able to put in overhead bin on the flight from the US. 

I flew JFK->San Jose, Costa Rica in a Twin Otter. Great fun. Throttles in the roof of the flight deck!

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 1

I know United has direct flights from Newark on 737s. Looks like Delta and American also fly there though I didn't look to see what equipment they use.

As I probably mentioned, I fly United all the time and I know it really pays to be in an early boarding group if you want guaranteed overhead space. I have seen options to pay a small charge to change your boarding group to one that boards sooner.

3 hours ago, stoken6 said:

I flew JFK->San Jose, Costa Rica in a Twin Otter. Great fun. Throttles in the roof of the flight deck!

2200 miles (3500 km) in THIS? The blurb I read said the cabin is unpressurised. I assume you made a few stops along the way! Did you bring any keyboards? 🙂 

image.thumb.png.70a1d3246144866a485fd7e926f03189.png

26 minutes ago, Reezekeys said:

2200 miles (3500 km) in THIS? The blurb I read said the cabin is unpressurised. I assume you made a few stops along the way! Did you bring any keyboards? 🙂 

My memory must be playing tricks - it was 20 years ago, I was unmarried but with the girl who would become my wife. I definitely flew that plane, and it was definitely into San Jose, but the distance couldn't have been 2000 miles. ("It's very far": C. Hynde, 1983). It was an hour or so flight, 150 miles or so. Maybe it was an intra-Costa Rica flight - we were touring the country.

No keyboards. Cool plane though.

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Thread resurrection. I'm in Roatan (Island off Honduras). Here's how it worked out.

Managed to find a used SL88 studio. Shipped to Miami, then got the talent buyer to ship it to Roatan by boat. My expense was just under $400.

I own an Sl88 grand at home so this allowed me to get everything tuned/programmed in.

I flew to Roatan with everything else in this picture except the SL88. Computer, mixface, key Largo, 3 pedals, assorted USB cords.

2 gigs next week, might add a 3rd? A lot of drinking and swimming/snorkeling in between. I plan on just leaving the keyboard here. Kind of a break even unless they want us back. 

20240210_211230.jpg

• Like 1

And to close out this topic. At our 2d gig I was able to SELL the SL88 to the backline "dude" (I'd hesitate to call it a backline company) for $200 and the promise that I could use it for free whenever I was in Roatan.

So all in all I spent approx $200 to use an SL88 studio for a week.

Played on the beach a couple of nights, had a lot of fun, trying real hard not to drink too much, playing Margaritaville for all the Gringos.

IMG-20240215-WA0002.jpg

20240214_200812.jpg

20240212_132632.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Iconoclast said:

...trying real hard not to drink too much...

Um... WHY???

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

I didn't say we were successfully not drinking too much🙃

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2023 at 3:06 PM, zephonic said:

MODX6 will fit in overhead compartment

Wouldn't that take up pretty much the whole overhead compartment?   Better hope you have some very agreeable compartment-mates, that didn't bring much overhead luggage, or that the flight is half-empty!  😀😁

I can't imagine a flight crew allowing that.

Seriously, I would say either checked-in baggage, in a reasonably good-quality flight case, or (best option) - look into renting something there.  Definitely not a soft case - have you seen baggage-handlers at work??😬