Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Damn tasty Rhodes MK-8 jam

nursers

4 hours ago, Bobbo Fett said:

For that kind of $jack$ it SHOULD be, along with a toaster oven and air fryer.....😃

The Rhodes MK8 is not aimed at the average musician on a budget.😁

The MK8 is a boutique instrument for a Rhodes connoisseur or collector.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

55 minutes ago, CyberGene said:

The solo is too much of an aimless noodling even for a jazz solo...

I'd imagine using a 1970s Fusion vibe was the best way to to feature the effects in the MK8.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Well it came out as it did as it was entirely improvised - we were collectively very pleased with the results. Ps- We didn’t sit there trying to come up with any particular style; we just started playing and captured what came out. Absolutely raw. Can’t please everyone… 

• Like 8

Chief Product Officer at Rhodes®. Project leader and designer of the Rhodes MK8 piano and V8 Plug-in.  

1 hour ago, funkphingerz88 said:

Ps- We didn’t sit there trying to come up with any particular style; we just started playing and captured what came out. Absolutely raw. Can’t please everyone…

Well, please ignore my comment, I tend to be a bit direct sometimes. I realize you're demoing the instrument and its effects and I think I've seen your other improvisations and they are top level. I shouldn't have commented on the solo when clearly it's more about the wonderful instrument :)

Beautiful instrument, visually and sonically.

Hard to believe as a young lad starting out in the 80’s I saw Rhodes junked in the back of music shops or collecting dust unwanted in pawn shops. If only I’d known…

Still, if only I had bought Apple shares back then when they were a dollar, I could afford one of these with pocket change.

Korg Grandstage 73, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

17 minutes ago, CyberGene said:

Well, please ignore my comment, I tend to be a bit direct sometimes. I realize you're demoing the instrument and its effects and I think I've seen your other improvisations and they are top level. I shouldn't have commented on the solo when clearly it's more about the wonderful instrument :)

Hey- it’s all good! No offence taken, I realise that not everything is going to please everyone and that’s what makes life interesting after all. I’m very glad you like the piano though, for myself and the Rhodes team we are really listening to all feedback- we are really excited about the future! 

• Like 5

Chief Product Officer at Rhodes®. Project leader and designer of the Rhodes MK8 piano and V8 Plug-in.  

Skipped halfway into the video to finally hear the basic tone, but it sounds great.  Very close to the "Herbie" (as opposed to bell-like) sound so many of us prefer.

I don't even know what these costs but with prices on acoustic pianos being so much higher these days, why would anyone expect a Rhodes to be different.  I guess one difference is there is no shortage of bargains on excellent condition used acoustics, but the only way to get an excellent condition used Rhodes is if it's fully restored, which is also not cheap.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

3 hours ago, Adan said:

Very close to the "Herbie" (as opposed to bell-like) sound so many of us prefer.

Indeed, that’s my ideal Rhodes sound too, the one Herbie uses on Chameleon and Butterfly which is a creamy and thicker timbre, not bell-like. The new Rhodes 8 instrument to my ears has managed to capture that magic, at least in that video. Unfortunately, if I bring yet another expensive piano at home, I risk getting a divorce, so I can only lust for now…

8 minutes ago, Reezekeys said:

Move it up or down and you could do both the thicker Herbie sound and the more bell-like tone.

Isn’t that what VintageVibe introduced in some of their latest models? The ability to do that on the fly with a lever, instead of having to overhaul the entire piano.

2 hours ago, CyberGene said:

Isn’t that what VintageVibe introduced in some of their latest models? The ability to do that on the fly with a lever, instead of having to overhaul the entire piano.

That does sound like a great feature! I know nothing about those VV models, and have touched a real Rhodes probably 5 times in the last 25 years.

I remember there were two screws to adjust for each tine - so yea, doing the whole piano was very labor-intensive. I also remember having to adjust the distance from the tine end to the pickup. OTOH I remember breaking out the soldering iron to tune my Wurli, and having those reeds first go dead, then break pretty often. 

3 minutes ago, Reezekeys said:

That does sound like a great feature! I know nothing about those VV models

Here's some more information about this feature but I guess we might wanna move that talk in the corresponding VV thread (is there any? I don't remember...) to not spoil this one with discussions about their competition 😀

https://www.vintagevibe.com/pages/vintage-vibe-variable-voice-control

7 hours ago, Adan said:

I don't even know what these costs but with prices on acoustic pianos being so much higher these days, why would anyone expect a Rhodes to be different.  I guess one difference is there is no shortage of bargains on excellent condition used acoustics, but the only way to get an excellent condition used Rhodes is if it's fully restored, which is also not cheap.

The demand for a new Rhodes is not extremely high.  Especially not when gigging musicians can get a reasonable facsimile of a Rhodes from a digital piano at a fraction of the cost.

The new Rhodes will appeal to an electric piano buyer in the same way that a real acoustic piano appeals to certain customers.😎

• Like 1

PD

To my ear, the closest thing I've heard to that is a Mark I suitcase.  I've never heard a Mark II with that tone.  But we all have our own experiences and I expect someone will weigh in here and say they tweaked their Mark II to get the Herbie crunch.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

On 9/23/2023 at 12:19 PM, Bobbo Fett said:

For that kind of $jack$ it SHOULD be, along with a toaster oven and air fryer.....😃

hmm...it's all relative. In the 80's I paid a small fortune to make my Rhodes a "Dyno-My-Piano"...in today's dollars, the new MK8 is on par with better hardware and QA.

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20 | Mac Studio | Studio Display | Logic Pro

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

24 minutes ago, Motif88 said:

hmm...it's all relative. In the 80's I paid a small fortune to make my Rhodes a "Dyno-My-Piano"...in today's dollars, the new MK8 is on par with better hardware and QA.

It's also a drag that the gigs I would use it on pay the same as they did in the 80's as well.......

• Haha 1

I also love the customisability of the MK8 when ordering - now to save my pennies and maybe learn to play better to deserve an instrument like that :thu:

2 hours ago, jerrythek said:

Yeah, why do the rest of us even bother?

Pretty crappy viewpoint, IMHO.

I don't post shit without a reason. It was Herbie's flexible demo of Fender Rhodes back in 1973 that was instrumental in me wanting to get a Rhodes. Not to mention a couple of great albums he had featuring the Rhodes. He also would be a click monster considering his fame around the world. He also happens to love engineering and could explain the crap out of all the functionality of effects and could emphasize how having them all in a  tidy package makes it the ultimate Rhodes.

BTW, thanks for calling me Pretty.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

28 minutes ago, 16251 said:

I don't post shit without a reason. It was Herbie's flexible demo of Fender Rhodes back in 1973 that was instrumental in me wanting to get a Rhodes. Not to mention a couple of great albums he had featuring the Rhodes. He also would be a click monster considering his fame around the world. He also happens to love engineering and could explain the crap out of all the functionality of effects and could emphasize how having them all in a  tidy package makes it the ultimate Rhodes.

BTW, thanks for calling me Pretty.

I hear ya - I know all that, and I still have that flexi-disk. It’s just how you said it.

Words have meaning, and your’s said that they “should have used Herbie instead” i.e. they made a mistake/used bad judgement doing what they did. And that the only "good" demo would be Herbie.  Had you said, “not for me, but I ‘d love to see Herbie do a demo, or something like that I wouldn’t have reacted the same way. That’s my point. Isn't there room for a variety of approaches, music and presentations?

Anyway, you’re still pretty pretty for some jazz changes. 

Jerry

• Like 1

IMO, Herbie Hancock doesn't have the same influence over the current generation of KB buying musicians. 

Today's musicians respect and revere Herbie but they won't make their buying decisions based on his demos.

Then, Herbie Hancock himself probably hasn't giggled on a real Rhodes in at least a decade or longer.

That's what I find most amusing when folks reference Herbie's Rhodes sound.

Nowadays, *if* Herbie plays a Rhodes sound it's coming from a Korg KB. 😁😎

• Like 1

PD

25 minutes ago, ProfD said:

IMO, Herbie Hancock doesn't have the same influence over the current generation of KB buying musicians. 

Today's musicians respect and revere Herbie but they won't make their buying decisions based on his demos.

You might be right as I grew up with him starting in early 70's. IMHO, younger ppl see he is not playing a Rhodes, but his music, I hope is being listened to by those same ppl. 

BTW, I never dissed Dan Goldman as my comment wasn't about the music per say. I was conjuring up what the best promotion would be to promote the new Rhodes. Dan is killing it but when I see the name Rhodes, I hear Herbie (and Chick, and Zawinul, etc.) I guess life experiences is time based. All the best to Dan Goldman and new music; I'm stuck in Hard Bop most of the time. 

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251