Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gary Wright Dream Weaver Passes at 80

Oh, man. This sucks. I wore out 'The Light of Smiles' as a teenager. I would blast 'Phantom Writer' and 'Water Sign' over and over in my bedroom. His solos soared!

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I first saw him live in 1969 performing with Spooky Tooth. 

Singing with fellow Spooky Tooth keyboardist Mike Harrison, they created this iconic performance…. It was amazing seeing this performed live. 

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Now here is a gem!  The earliest video of Spooky Tooth from 1968. Looks like Gary is playing a Hammond spinet. 

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I'm surprised that obit doesn't mention his tenure in Ringo's All-Starr Band. I very much enjoyed seeing him in that setting. But at this late hour, I'm not going to dig around for other obits. The one originally posted is overall fairly thorough and definitely respectful.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

When I think of musicians and bands there is an image in my mind like a musical personality. Gary Wright, his voice, the music he was a part of are held high out of all the greats. I first appreciated him in Spooky Tooth and especially enjoyed I'm Alive and segueing to The Mirror. The Dream Weaver album got a lot of airplay and I saw him during the supporting tour in the mid-70's. I appreciated that album more years later when the overplay of broadcast radio had worn off. 10+ years later I saw him again in an all-star band but it was not a Ringo project. He shined. Everything kicked up a few notches when he opened with Love Is Alive. His Dream Weaver tour in the 70's was relatively tame in comparison. His live performance of Really Wanna Know You was also memorable. After seeing him perform it live I craved hearing it and the original was the only thing available. Something about the energy of him performing it live took it well beyond the redundancy of the lyrics which are repeated more than the average for songs. Throughout history some good songs have been too short. I eventually found a live video on YT but of course it lacked the energy I felt being present.

And for those who have or had a personal experience with a loved one who suffered from this horrific illness, I share your pain and grief.

The horrible thing about this disease is that the victims are aware of their minds dissolving.

My mother died from an aggressive form of dementia which turned her into a different person. She mercifully lasted less than a year.

My former best friend was not as “fortunate” as he contracted this disease ten years ago, and to this day has been institutionalized. He may live and suffer for another 20 years. 

It breaks my heart that Gary and his loved ones suffered for ten years. Please keep this in mind the next time someone asks you to donate to Alzheimers and Dementia research. 

• Like 8

In addition to his work with George Harrison, and of course the hit Dream Weaver, Gary Wright was also the keyboard player on Harry Nilsson’s cover of Without You.

I was giving Dream Weaver a listen just the other night in his memory. RIP Gary Wright

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 9/4/2023 at 7:32 PM, mate stubb said:

Dream Weaver was great, but he captured me with Spooky Tooth. He had my all time favorite rock organ sound on their second album.

Totally agree. We opened for Spooky Tooth in New York, and they (and of course Gary) were great.

• Like 2

Edgar Winter playing the keyboard parts instead of Gary! It cuts off after a few minutes, but very cool.

• Love 1

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

His Hammond sound changed my life. I had the good fortune to see Spooky Tooth and a few years later his keyboard heavy Dream Weaver band which opened for Frampton. In both he was great. Better yet,I got to meet the man and have a brief chat following his one man ( plus accompanist) show.. That was about 2014. That was a different but good show. He came across as a nice,mellow guy.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Pa Gherkin said:

His Hammond sound changed my life. I had the good fortune to see Spooky Tooth and a few years later 

mine as well. You can hear it above in Evil Woman.