Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nord Stage 4 Announced

Having come from mostly software synths and a RD-2000 for my main controller, I can say that “just playing”, enjoying and coming up with ideas is easier on my M8x. You can get lost in your DAW with too many options, menu diving etc. That’s why the Nord Stage 4 was on my short list.

Just a touch of inspiration and an idea is easier for me on the M8x which can then take shape in Logic with plenty of software synth options. We all work differently…

• Like 1

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

1 hour ago, JoJoB3 said:

I just feel the majority of this to be incorrect.
*and by majority I mean all of this.

Studio vs Live are two different things, and I think the Big 4 know this.

Just because it sounds good in isolation on stereo monitors 3 feet from your ears in your small home studio, does not mean it works in a big room on a big PA in a mix with 7 other cats on stage.

I have yet to get Keyscape to work live, the sound is way too 'Hi-fi' and stereo-reliant to work in a band mix - this is important to cut through the din of 2 electric guitars.

I have yet to hear a synth plugin that has more balls than a true analog through a big system - 'balls' are important to cut through the din of 2 electric guitars.
I have yet to make any Hammond plugin feel right when MIDI-learned onto some cheap faders - working the drawbars is important to cut through the din of 2 electric guitars.

Aynsley Green Trio - Caravan

Upper: Sequential OB6 or Roland Fantom 06

Lower: Nord Stage 4 Compact or Yamaha YC88

Sometimes: Hammond SK2, Roland System 8, Roland SH2, Roland SE-02, Roland JX-08, Korg Prologue 16

3 minutes ago, Aynsley Green said:

Studio vs Live are two different things, and I think the Big 4 know this.

Just because it sounds good in isolation on stereo monitors 3 feet from your ears in your small home studio, does not mean it works in a big room on a big PA in a mix with 7 other cats on stage.

I am talking about the live stage actually (but yer right, it tracks well in studio too).

I have yet to get Keyscape to work live

Works well here (win10, PC)

hmm...is the live or studio?

Unless live is only crap bars with a subpar PA and sound folks the couldn't find the keys in the mix if they were sitting on the piano bench. 

Seems to be live using Omnisphere and Keyscape. 

Times may change, standards must remain.

• Like 2

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

3 hours ago, Motif88 said:

Unless live is only crap bars with a subpar PA and sound folks the couldn't find the keys in the mix if they were sitting on the piano bench. 

I’m not necessarily agreeing with Aynsley that Omnisphere and Keyscape only work in the studio, however the link you have shared here is pretty much the definition of a studio piece. No in person audience, no live PA, no fighting subwoofers and crappy room acoustics. This is a multi-tracked studio recording with probably more than a little post-production.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Motif88 said:

Drummer's filthy! 
Live in studio but to be fair keep in mind they're supplied with tip-top, power packed systems here too.

Still, Spectrasonics does 'great' really well.

• Like 2

To be fair, "stereo-reliant" is a big problem with the hardware keyboards too.   It's quite the annoying problem actually.   Ironically I bought mainstage intending to try out some of my software pianos, I figured at least one of them might work better in mono than my Modx.   Hammersmith Pro even has a mono mic recording.  Nope.  They all sounded like crap.  Well hell, I already had crap, I don't need extra setup and fiddlyness to have crap!   

On 12/6/2023 at 9:37 PM, Stokely said:

To be fair, "stereo-reliant" is a big problem with the hardware keyboards too.   It's quite the annoying problem actually.   Ironically I bought mainstage intending to try out some of my software pianos, I figured at least one of them might work better in mono than my Modx.   Hammersmith Pro even has a mono mic recording.  Nope.  They all sounded like crap.  Well hell, I already had crap, I don't need extra setup and fiddlyness to have crap!   

Since the introduction of White Grand by Nord I have no complaints at all going mono with my Nord Stage. Just to get back to the topic 😉

• Like 2

yeah good idea :)  And I go with the White Grand as well.  It suffers a bit compared to stereo--I can hear the difference plainly in my in-ears--but it doesn't drop in volume drastically like the CFX on my Modx and isn't bad by any means.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Stokely said:

yeah good idea :)  And I go with the White Grand as well.  It suffers a bit compared to stereo--I can hear the difference plainly in my in-ears--but it doesn't drop in volume drastically like the CFX on my Modx and isn't bad by any means.

Take only right output and don‘t press the mono button. 

• Like 1

Nord Stage 2 76, Nord Electro 5D 73, Rhodes Mk2 73, Sequential Prophet 10 Rev4, Akai Miniak Synth, Roland JC 120

On 12/6/2023 at 11:10 AM, Motif88 said:

Yes, but this is an advertisement - this isn't the live set-up these cats usually run.
J3PO, Nick Semrad, Dennis Hamm, Rai Thistlewayte, Corey Henry, Larry Goldings, etc - I've seen all these mega-players live, and they don't run a laptop, they run a Nord/Yamaha and a Sequential synth, 90% of the time. Heck, Dennis Hamm plays an old Motif XF (and still sounds great).

I do know guys on big touring pop shows who run Omnisphere and so forth, but touring logistics and complex patches are a big part of that equation.

Different tools for different jobs, but after running a Spectrasonics + Mainstage rig for 3 years, I really don't buy the laptop hype.

• Like 1

Sometimes: Hammond SK2, Roland System 8, Roland SH2, Roland SE-02, Roland JX-08, Korg Prologue 16

1 hour ago, CyberGene said:

I have no time to read the entire thread, so I’d be thankful if someone can summarize the consensus on the Stage 4. I guess it’s the best keyboard available today?

🧌

TLDR - It’s the most expensive keyboard, so obviously it’s the best.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, CyberGene said:

I have no time to read the entire thread, so I’d be thankful if someone can summarize the consensus on the Stage 4. I guess it’s the best keyboard available today?

🧌

As a portable all-in-one, yes. 

The Yamaha YC is a good alternative - great action, great sounds, for half the money. 

The Yamaha Montage M also looks crazy powerful, for less money, but it's heavy.

Well, the keys are still black and white, so I guess you could say it's black and white, and red all over.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

On 12/9/2023 at 6:21 AM, CyberGene said:

I could have purchased either and went with the Montage M8x. The GEX keyboard is fantastic, poly after touch, great engines/sounds, built in audio interface, DAW control etc.  That being said, I can't and won't move this beast, it is big and heavy. Perfect fit for home studio use.

🧌

Using:

Sold/Traded:

Yes, expensive, but Nords keep their value pretty good. I just traded my NS3c (mint) for a NS4c (at an official dealer). Almost got back what I paid 5+ years ago. Of course the increased prices for the new models help, but still, it’s reassuring. There’s a huge market for used Nords, second hand prices reflect that.  

4 hours ago, Matthiola said:

Yes, expensive, but Nords keep their value pretty good.

There’s a huge market for used Nords, second hand prices reflect that.  

The Nord marketing campaign is brilliant in that regard. 

Nord is trying to become the must-have KB for performing musicians. 

If there's no red in the KB rig, you're not a serious musician and you're outta here. 🤣

Of course, I'm kidding.  Unless a musician is gigging in a place like California.😁😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

It’s not just marketing I think. Over the years I’ve seen a lot of red keyboards at concerts and festivals. This already started in the early days of Nord. At least, here in Europe. Part of the succes is the hands-on control of these boards, for sure. For live performance you can’t beat Nord.

The last concert I’ve been to was Domi and JD Beck with the Metropole Orchestra in The Hague. Domi was playing a Nord Stage and Wave 2. The encore was just the two of them playing. Amazing in every way and just 2 red keyboards and drums 😎

1 hour ago, Matthiola said:

Domi was playing a Nord Stage and Wave 2. The encore was just the two of them playing. Amazing in every way and just 2 red keyboards and drums 

I don't know if DOMi has a Nord endorsement but she would get the same results out of any 2 KBs she chooses to play. 

Otherwise, as I've mentioned before, Nord definitely makes the most performance-oriented KBs.😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

On 12/21/2023 at 12:02 PM, sherry said:

Nord released an OS update yesterday, still no Song Mode.  UGH !!!!!

Because of the new architecture, I don't think there will ever be Song Mode in the NS4-

-dj

• Like 1

iMac i7 13.5.2

Studio One 5.5.2

Nord Stage 3

Nord Wave 2

Nektar T4

Drawmer DL 241

Focusrite ISA Two

Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

On 12/8/2023 at 12:52 PM, ImproKeys said:

Since the introduction of White Grand by Nord I have no complaints at all going mono with my Nord Stage. Just to get back to the topic 😉

That's my go to for mono live use as well. The mono button on current Nords is my favorite feature, but that piano in particular works as well in mono as any sample based piano with which I'm familiar.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

Regarding Song Mode...I am sure I remember someone posting that it was less of a detriment than people thought because of some other feature that functioned as a replacement for it. I have looked twice now and can't find the comment. Does anyone remember seeing this, either here or on the Nord Forums? Or more important I guess, does anyone know of or use a workaround for this issue?

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com