Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Song(s) that artist covered that became "go-to" version.

^ Yeah. I think the reason some of these examples haven't been mentioned before is because of the premise of the thread: covers that became the "go-to versions" of the songs. 

An example I can think of  - at least for those under 40 - would be Adele's cover of "To Make You Feel My Love". Practically none of this age group know the Dylan original, or can barely recall the Garth Brooks version from the 1990s. I only get requests for the Adele version. 

Boz Skaggs Lone Me A Dime

Grand Funk Railroad Feelin Alright

Dave Mason All Along The Watchtower

The original Hurt, Trent Reznor, conveyed pain. You didn't need a video to comprehend the meaning. It is all about pain. Imagine Keanu Reeves singing Hurt = Johnny Cash singing Hurt like he sang everything else when you ignore the video.

• B.J. Thomas -> Blue Suede, Hooked on a Feeling (Ooga-shaga, ooga ooga -- need I say more?)
  • Spencer Davis Group -> Chicago, I'm a Man
  • Soul Brothers Six -> Grand Funk Railroad, Some Kind o' Wonderful
  • Little Eva -> Grand Funk, Loco-Motion
  • Righteous Brothers -> Hall and Oates, You've Lost that Lovin' Feeling
  • Neil Sedaka -> Captain and Tenille, Love will Keep Us Together

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

42 minutes ago, Tom Williams said:
  • B.J. Thomas -> Blue Suede, Hooked on a Feeling (Ooga-shaga, ooga ooga -- need I say more?)
  • Spencer Davis Group -> Chicago, I'm a Man
  • Soul Brothers Six -> Grand Funk Railroad, Some Kind o' Wonderful
  • Little Eva -> Grand Funk, Loco-Motion
  • Righteous Brothers -> Hall and Oates, You've Lost that Lovin' Feeling
  • Neil Sedaka -> Captain and Tenille, Love will Keep Us Together

Since you mentioned Spencer Davis Group one of my all time favorite bands.     They took and old Blue tunes by Homer Banks and morphed it into  Gimme Some Lovin'.   The original Homer Banks version was covered by a lot of other groups like Taj Mahal, SAm and Dave, The Flying Burrito Brothers,  Simply Red, and Three Dog Night. 

• Like 1

On 12/7/2022 at 3:55 PM, skipeb3 said:

Joe Cocker, "The Letter"

And "With a Little Help from my Friends"

-dj

• Like 1

iMac i7 13.5.2

Studio One 5.5.2

Nord Stage 3

Nord Wave 2

Nektar T4

Drawmer DL 241

Focusrite ISA Two

Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

if it hasn't been mentioned yet...

A song for You - Donny Hathaway (written by Leon)

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha CK88, MX88, & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

7 minutes ago, Docbop said:

Actuall How Sweet It Is  was written by Holland Dozier Holland of Motown and recorded by Marvin Gaye.   

Motown is always for the Win!

Yep, you're right on all counts!!!

And thinking on it, I've only heard that song about a zillion times but it will never get old. 

I played in a Motown cover band for a couple of years, can't fault the set list - batting a thousand. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

2 hours ago, Docbop said:

Actuall How Sweet It Is  was written by Holland Dozier Holland of Motown and recorded by Marvin Gaye. 

I must be thinking of some other song Taylor did that was "paler" than the original 😉

On 12/7/2022 at 8:47 PM, bill5 said:

Wow I am extremely surprised James Taylor and Linda Ronstadt haven't yet been mentioned...IMO the king and queen of covers. Almost everything they remade I liked better than the original, they were so good at it. Among the many:

Oooh Baby Baby

Every Day

How Sweet It is

Something in the Way She Moves

Oooh Baby Baby

That'll be the Day

etc etc

Let me try this again.  James over Marvin??  I'll have to disagree with ya on this one 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, HSS said:

if it hasn't been mentioned yet...

A song for You - Donny Hathaway (written by Leon)

"More Than You'll Ever Know" is another Donny track that imho beats the crap out of the original.

I'm with Bill on this one -- JT's How Sweet it Is is not only much more accessible, but it has a nice piano riff to boot.

Carole King (who co-wrote it)'s rendition of One Fine Day blows away the Chiffons, IMO.

I think I'm seeing a trend regarding my preferences: because of the state of the recording art at the time, original Motown doesn't grab me nearly as much as the later 70's and 80's covers thereof.  I'm guessing it's something about EQ, digital reverb, and multitracking.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

11 minutes ago, Steve Nathan said:

I must be thinking of some other song Taylor did that was "paler" than the original 😉

Sam Cooke did a partial re-write of Wonderful World (written by Lou Adler and Herb Alpert), it was a hit for him.

Herman's Hermits covered it and got up the charts a bit, later Art Garfunkel, James Taylor and Paul Simon "paleified" it. 

So that might be the one you are thinking of and I'll admit it, I went right along without thinking of Sam Cooke either. So it goes, too much songs!!!

5 minutes ago, Tom Williams said:

I'm with Bill on this one -- JT's How Sweet it Is is not only much more accessible, but it has a nice piano riff to boot.

Carole King (who co-wrote it)'s rendition of One Fine Day blows away the Chiffons, IMO.

I think I'm seeing a trend regarding my preferences: because of the state of the recording art at the time, original Motown doesn't grab me nearly as much as the later 70's and 80's covers thereof.  I'm guessing it's something about EQ, digital reverb, and multitracking.

We are all different, James Taylor has always sounded like he's too bored to take a nap but sort of wants one. 

For me, if the singer throws down everything else is secondary at best. If there is crazy good rockin' ensemble singing (the original Do You Love Me by the Contours) then that wins every time. I tend towards live recordings - Harry Belefonte at Carnegie Hall, The Band The Last Waltz both come to mind. 

1 hour ago, 16251 said:

I like reading opinion.

Here's one - Wichita Lineman - Glen Cambell or JT?

Glen Campbell!!!

James Taylor's Wichita Lineman has kind of jumpy timing on vocal delivery

James Taylor- You've Got A Friend

This isn't that bad, as much as it is famous husband's wife needing recognition.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dave Ferris said:

Same with this masterpiece. Even though Albert King was a fellow St. Louisan and I had heard him multiple times as kid, I still was more exposed to this with Jack Bruce's voice, Clapton's perfect notes and Ginger's great groove. I guess credit it with being a slacker hippie from the 'burbs....lol And the Cream, like the Beatles, were a huge part of the soundtrack of my youth. AK is more greasy for sure. But both great.

Booker T. wrote it for Albert.  This is an amazing version at the Tiny Desk with him singing it and playing it.  Chills:

• Like 2

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

o0Ampy0o said:

"This isn't that bad, as much as it is famous husband's wife needing recognition."

Really? You're gonna be that passive/aggressive? Her husband has sold more movie tickets, so her talent is questionable?

...good thing there's an ignore button here.

3 hours ago, Tom Williams said:

Thanks, although my prefs of an original over a cover have nothing to do with the state of technology at the time. I'm a huge fan of Motown :)