Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP: Christine McVie -- Fleetwood Mac for 50 years

Awful news. I had a hope to see the Mac live in my life time, it went away. Loved Christine's voice and playing. Her Hammond and Leslie tones were amongst my favorites.

• Like 1

Gear: Nord Stage 3 76HP, Moog Little Phatty Stage II, Hammond XK5, Solina String Ensemble

My Bands: Aperco, Ummagumma, Amity Band

It's on the radio right now. That's crazy.  I didn't realize she was that old.  It's really too bad.  She carried a Hammond chop. I am not sure who did the work on it, maybe Bill Beer or Northern Hammond. 

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Rest In Peace Christine, you were truly one of the greats. You will be missed.

Long ago and far away I saw Christine and Fleetwood Mac, it was the Bob Welch era which I didn't care for too much but she played and sang very well indeed.

Oddly, the lineup from start to finish was Rory Gallagher (who stole the show), Fleetwood Mac and Deep Purple. 

I loved her work on later Fleetwood Mac albums - Over My Head is just a stellar pop tune (for one). 

• Like 2
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

This is odd.  A student just walked in with a Fleetwood Mc Rumors shirt while I was typing here at the University. Apparently Christine wrote a few tunes for the band.

• Love 1

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

33 minutes ago, Outkaster said:

It's on the radio right now. That's crazy.  I didn't realize she was that old.  It's really too bad.  She carried a Hammond chop. I am not sure who did the work on it, maybe Bill Beer or Northern Hammond. 

A Bill Beer. On such a weird timing, in this weekend her Bill Beer Hammond and Leslie rigs are being auctioned. She used an XK5 system from 2017 and so

Gear: Nord Stage 3 76HP, Moog Little Phatty Stage II, Hammond XK5, Solina String Ensemble

My Bands: Aperco, Ummagumma, Amity Band

1 hour ago, Outkaster said:

Apparently Christine wrote a few tunes for the band.

Quite a few.  She has several songs on Fleetwood Mac/Fleetwood Mac and on Ruors.

Songbird remains my favorite of hers…

...with honorable mention for Oh, Daddy.

RIP, Christine.

dB

• Like 3

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Although I have no basis other than as a viewer and listener over the past few decades, she struck me as a kind and gentle soul with great humility, who somehow had the grit to stick with the role she played in that band. A real professional. RIP Christine.

Here for the gear.

Oh no 😔 so sorry tp hear this. 😢 Loved her contributions to Fleetwood Mac. 

Just posting one of my favorites of hers because it's currently in constant airplay as a backdrop for an EV commercial. Just a perfect timeless pop song - sounds like it could have been written yesterday. 

• Like 2

Very sad. She was a very tasteful player and her voice was simultaneously gentle and powerful. No overwrought caterwauling or showboating for this lady. Her performances were always admirable. A very apt word to describe her is lovely.

Like Kuru,I saw FM during the Bob Welch, Bare Trees era. Same lineup of bands except substitute Silverhead for Rory at Gaelic Park in New York.All three bands smoked.  Before the concert started we heard this roaring heavy sounding Lesliefied Hammond from backstage. At first I assumed it was Jon Lord’s but at that time he was playing through Marshalls. I thought maybe he had returned to using Leslies. Turns out it was Christine’s. Interesting dichotomy between that pure voice and the grinding Hammond sound coming from the same person. RIP lovely lady.

• Like 1

Christine's keyboard parts were often buried in the mix so it was difficult to know exactly what she was doing. In this isolated mix of "Rhiannon" we can hear some substantial Rhodes playing that varies throughout the song.

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact

That’s weird how people are saying they could not hear her keyboards or they have been buried. I saw her twice with FM and have always thought her songs were keyboard-centric. She never did solos that I think of at least, it was her holding the melody and rhythm while Lindsay Buckingham provided accents. If I were to listen now for her keyboards they might not be that prominent but I always heard them and listened for them. She had a beautiful voice and a wonderful harmony contribution to the band’s sound. In terms of vocal character and what her voice did with the rest of the band vocals she was a female Paul McCartney, I don’t know whether anyone understands what I mean by that. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, o0Ampy0o said:

she was a female Paul McCartney, I don’t know whether anyone understands what I mean by that. 

That comparison hits the target for me. Very tasteful singer, songwriter and musician. She will be missed, but she achieved so much in her life, and that is to be celebrated.

Cheers, Mike.

Sad, and a bit shocked...I liked her.... she wrote good songs and could play the blues .... and reminded me of one of my cousins.

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

A great musician, composer, and the only sane person in that strangely dysfunctional band. 

• Like 1

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Very saddened to hear of this yesterday.  Christine McVie's sound has been a big part of my life's soundtrack since high school years.  I greatly enjoyed her writing and singing, and appreciated her very tasty keyboard work.  

Godspeed, Ms. McVie! 

• Like 1

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!