Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Chris Botti.

sherry

Saw him Friday night in Michigan.  I've been around a long time, been to more concerts than I can count, but Chris and his band has to be the best concert I've ever been to.  My only complaint, the keys could have been more up front.  They were there, had to struggle to hear them at times.  The keyboard player played mostly accoustic piano, but he also had a Nord Stage 3, used mostly for rhodes and a Korg Kronos for strings.  If you ever get a chance to see him, I highly recommend it.  His violin player is in the Berlin Symphony Orchestra, Sax player won all sorts of jazz awards, just killer guitar, drummer, bass and even singers.  One being opera.  Don't laugh.  It was awesome.  Just passing my experience on. 

• Like 2

I played before him at the John Coltrane Jazz Festival this summer. Definitely an impressive band. The violinist was very good. I agree that the keys were kind of buried. Also on the festival that day was Cindy Blackmon and her fusion group (killer) and Kirk Whalum, who started the party and didn’t let up. He had a great band, too. 

It was Billy on first and GK on second chair about 5 years ago. Then GK moved to first chair. Not sure if he's still on it. Pretty great gig.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

In 2012 I was playing in the lobby of the Mandarin Oriental hotel in Boston, with a quartet and he was staying there. I believe he had at gig at Tanglewood. After his gig, he sat in with us and played a few tunes and hung out for a while. Really down to earth guy.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

7 hours ago, sherry said:

His violin player is in the Berlin Symphony Orchestra, Sax player won all sorts of jazz awards, just killer guitar, drummer, bass and even singers.  One being opera.  Don't laugh.  It was awesome.

Sounds like my kind of gig!

Cheers, Mike.

I saw Chris Botti in the fall of 2019 with some friends who are huge fans.  I was sure I would enjoy it but I truly was blown away at the musicianship on that stage and I remember throughout the show Chris finding a way to highlight each one of his band.  Geoffrey Keezer was directly in front of me and I heard every marvelous note he played.  

Botti often gets written off for his highly polished music style, good looks, and popularity. Make no mistake because he has chops he chooses not to frequently use on stage. He could probably blow 6 choruses on “Cherokee” and never repeat an idea. Same for everyone in his bands over the years. 

His stage presentation might not have changed much over the years. Probably still plays “When I Fall In Love”, “Cinema Paradiso”, “Caruso”, and closes with “Nessun Dorma” where he brings someone from the audience to play a mallet cymbal roll on cue. He gives his audience what they love. 

The thing that most impressed me about Botti is his generosity with his time. Any time I’ve seen him, he tells the audience he’ll be in the lobby a few minutes after the concert to sign autographs, take photos, etc. He stays there until the last person leaves. It’s a great demonstration of his character and gratefulness. No one could be mad if he finished playing, took bows, and left the venue.

• Like 3

I agree -- he/they put on a great concert with excellent musicianship all around!

And his CHOPS -- as an ex-trumpet player, man can he play!

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

3 minutes ago, Mark Zeger said:

The thing that most impressed me about Botti is his generosity with his time. Any time I’ve seen him, he tells the audience he’ll be in lobby to sign autographs, take photos, etc. a few minutes after the concert ends. He stays there until the last person leaves.

Not taking anything away from Chris at all - but this is SOP for all the touring bands I know! Now, if you told me he wasn't selling any merch at the signings, that would be unusual and very commendable.

I assume you're talking about a pre-covid gig too. We haven't done signings or meet & greets since.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Reezekeys said:

Not taking anything away from Chris at all - but this is SOP for all the touring bands I know! Now, if you told me he wasn't selling any merch at the signings, that would be unusual and very commendable.

I assume you're talking about a pre-covid gig too. We haven't done signings or meet & greets since.

Yes, definitely pre-Covid.

I don’t recall Botti selling any merch the times I’d seen him. His albums had wide distribution on a major label (when that was a thing) and T shirts, hoodies, etc. wouldn’t seem “on brand” for him or his audience demographic. I haven’t seen him perform in many years so maybe that’s changed.

Yea Chris is in a different league than most of us, I think - playing big concert halls. That's great he was out there signing with nothing to sell. I do know this - merch is not a small part of our touring income. We don't do in-person signings now but usually try to have a venue hire someone to sell pre-signed CDs.

HIs concert included everything from Louis Armstrong to Led Zeppelin.  His violinist was playing (by herself in a stunning red dress ) a beautiful classical piece and all of a sudden the band comes in playing "Kashmir."  The place went nuts.  The male opera singer was near the end of the concert, don't remember his name, brought everyone to tears.  Chris ended playing Armstrong's "A wonderful world" playing without any amplification.  Just like hearing Armstrong playing in a small club.  It was amazing to just hear the instruments without any PA at all.  Okay.  I'll stop.  

• Like 1

My brother attended Mt. Hood Community College in Oregon with Botti. He said that he was an amazing talent at a young age in the early 80s.

A few years ago PBS televised a Chris Botti concert where Joey Defrancesco was on organ for the whole performance. This rendition may be from that show:

• Like 1

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact

1 hour ago, Steve Nathan said:

Last I heard, my friend Andy Snitzer was playing with him.  Andy is a hell of a Sax player!  

Yup. That was him playing sax.  Incredible player.  Hell of a showman too.  He'd be knees on the floor, sax pointing at the ceiling, leaning back,  just killing a solo.  Audience loved it.