Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A looker from school dayz

3 hours ago, ProfD said:

The color is hideous.  Looks like some sh8t that came out of a baby diaper.🤣😎

That's known as Chem-Tone green, from an especially vomitous period in American decor. All of the colors screamed 'Pepto-Bismol.' This poor thing either needs to be covered in cartoon stickers or trashed. The horror! 

• Haha 1

Absurdity, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.
    ~ "The Devil's Dictionary," Ambrose Bierce

Double wow!!

I always got a kick out of the whole Kustom thing...the fact that they actually went into production. I mean, someone had to say...here's a good idea...let's make amps and we'll tuck & roll them in sparkly naugahyde. And the next person had to say...yeah, that's a great idea. And so on...for the financing & tooling up & distribution, etc, etc.

But there they are. I say more power to them.

My dad had one of those model Rhodes when I was a kid. A local studio has one that I've worked on and I'm currently troubleshooting the preamp/amp out of another. They are neat. Felt hammers, like a piano. Big square tines instead of the flat ones. Very different tone than a Mark I or II, similar to the old silvertops.

• Like 1

A few years ago one of the Hammond techs here in LA came across a dozen or so of those tan student model Wurlies and snagged all of them. He put in a tremolo circuit, cleaned them up and they sold like hotcakes. Some of the best sounding Wurlies I've played. Really good condition, too since they hadn't been subjected to years of gigging & abuse.

Yes that is what happens sometimes.  Earlier this year I found two single speed Leslie's that had been in a school in Buffalo.  They were listed as 47 models but were  actually two 45's in short cabinets. I grabbed them up as there is a shortage of Leslie's anyway out there.  Tons of schools probably had those old electric pianos.  It would be interesting to see what other collections are in some warehouse somewhere.  

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

On 11/2/2022 at 7:39 AM, TommyRude said:

That chem-tone green color looks sort of like what they use to paint prisons, to calm the population down

The interior color scheme of the local Kaiser Permanente hospital matches the green and brown of the wood. I think it has something to do with being anti-bacterial. The concept makes sense applied to a school piano. No telling where fingers were before (and while) touching those keys. Same could be said of every keyboard in existence for that matter.

What’s worse? Probably a guitar fretboard. I’ve seen nose oil and snot being used as fretboard conditioner.

On 11/2/2022 at 5:31 AM, matted stump said:

Ah, the Kustom organ. Usually seen in herds with others of its breed.

TommyT1.jpg

That looks fucking AWESOME! 

I want one. 

(Reminds me of the Lenny Kravitz tour ca. 1999 — with Cindy Blackman on drums — where the keyboard player had a chopped B3 completely covered in GOLD upholstery. Looked great.)

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio