Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New: Casio PX 7000/6000

ewall08530

Differences among the 3 models are charted toward the bottom of this page:

https://www.casio.com/intl/news/2022/0908-privia/

Weight is shown there only including the stand, but based on another video (Bonner's), the slab itself is 14.8 kg (32.6 lbs). The 5000 is a bit lighter.

There's a lot to like here, but it is disappointing that Casio may be making the most expensive portable keyboards that don't have 5-pin MIDI.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

17 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

Differences among the 3 models are charted toward the bottom of this page:

https://www.casio.com/intl/news/2022/0908-privia/

Weight is shown there only including the stand, but based on another video (Bonner's), the slab itself is 14.8 kg (32.6 lbs). The 5000 is a bit lighter.

There's a lot to like here, but it is disappointing that Casio may be making the most expensive portable keyboards that don't have 5-pin MIDI.

I don't think these are aimed at anyone who needs or even knows about 5 pin MIDI

• Like 4

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80

“Smart Hybrid Hammer Action Keyboard combines an advanced physical keyboard mechanism with digital control technology for highly expressive playability.”

as opposed to,

”Smart Scaled Hammer Action Keyboard with simulated ebony/ivory key textures” on the S1100 and S3100.  

That alone is promising to me.   But I don't know... the cases are pretty slim implying short keys.  

"The PX-S7000 uses a newly developed keyboard mechanism with white keys made using wood and resin. The wood is spruce, the same material employed in grand pianos. The white and black keys also boast an ivory-and-ebony style surface-finish to offer a feel more like that of a grand piano. Hammer action matched to the new mechanism, counterweights on both black and white keys to balance playing comfort, and the original digital control technology tuned to both, all come together to enable richly expressive playing, from soft to strong touch."

Have to sit at it and play to comment further, but it sounds like they've done some additional work on their slim action.  

• Like 1

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I wonder how sturdy that fixed triple pedal is. 

I mean on grand designs there are rods in place to counter the forward force.

And on upright designs the pedals are built into the box with a lot of reinforcement from the board they are built into.  

• Like 1

Was just about to say the same thing about IKEA, looks like the stand was made there. I’m not sure about their market for this??? Didn’t they just upgrade the PXS1100 and 3100? This looks pretty much identical to the 3100 in terms of spec, even it’s layout. Granted it’s got expression pedal and a weird mod button rather than wheel but heavier and probably pricier. Looks like something designed for home use with a few extra feature thrown in. 

I wonder if they’ve addressed that silly Casio registration thing they have where you can save your own sounds but you can’t name them…..only registration 1,2,3 etc….maddening. I sold a couple of casios because I was tired of carrying cards around with me with the sound listed on them. I do think the px series are very playable and I like the action and the weight but I never found the touch screen interface a suitable design for live use. 

Curious as to who would buy this over a 3100?

Yamaha MODX8, Legend Live.

“The new Casio Privia pianos will be available in October. The PX-S7000HM will have a price of $3,399/£2,249, the PX-S7000WE/BK will cost $3,199/£2,099, the PX-S6000 will be available for $2,399/£1,499 and the will be PX-S5000 offered at $1,799/£999” 

https://www.musicradar.com/news/new-casio-privia-px-digital-pianos

Huh??? Probably a guess from them? But between the modx price increase and these one even for the lower range px series I think they’re kinda taking the p*ss. 

I'd guess they haven't changed the action much, and that pivot point would definitely feel unnatural compared to a real piano. 

I played a PX-S3000 last winter at GC, and it was totally unplayable.  Black keys were significantly lighter than the natural keys, all the way across the keybed.  If I'm not mistaken, even though the action of an acoustic grand is "graded", the weight of the black keys would be the same as the white ones.

I'll stick with my trusty RD-1000.

• Like 1

Hardware

Yamaha DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1/Roland VR-760/Hydrasynth Deluxe/

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 5/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX

5 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

I wonder how sturdy that fixed triple pedal is. 

I mean on grand designs there are rods in place to counter the forward force.

They don't budge. Incredibly SOLID.  

• Like 3

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

31 minutes ago, Dockeys said:

“The new Casio Privia pianos will be available in October. The PX-S7000HM will have a price of $3,399/£2,249, the PX-S7000WE/BK will cost $3,199/£2,099, the PX-S6000 will be available for $2,399/£1,499 and the will be PX-S5000 offered at $1,799/£999” 

Where's that from? (At https://www.casio.com/us/electronic-musical-instruments/product.PX-S7000BK/ that model is shown at $2,499, not $3,199.)

1 hour ago, Dockeys said:

This looks pretty much identical to the 3100 in terms of spec, even it’s layout. Granted it’s got expression pedal...

Curious as to who would buy this over a 3100?

I think expression pedal is same (a place to plug it in, but not included). But it looks like it should have better action, wider variety of piano samples (let's assume some better ones), better speakers, more sophisticated implementation of resonances... if, as a piano, it feels better and sounds better than the 3100, then it will certainly have stronger appeal to some buyers. And I have to admit, I find that "hit piano" feature appealing!

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

39 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

Where's that from? (At https://www.casio.com/us/electronic-musical-instruments/product.PX-S7000BK/ that model is shown at $2,499, not $3,199.)

I think expression pedal is same (a place to plug it in, but not included). But it looks like it should have better action, wider variety of piano samples (let's assume some better ones), better speakers, more sophisticated implementation of resonances... if, as a piano, it feels better and sounds better than the 3100, then it will certainly have stronger appeal to some buyers. And I have to admit, I find that "hit piano" feature appealing!

The question is what changes have they made to the action that would fit in there. 

3100 depth is 232mm, 9.134”
7000 depth is 242mm, 9.528” 

Less than 1/2 an inch.  Could the keys be longer?  Could the pivot point be improved?  Less dead trigger space at the back of the keys?  

kraft advertises at $2499.99.  

42 minutes ago, Sam CA said:

Leon , my pianist friend recorded a wonderful demo for the PX S6000. 

This is interesting, dynamic control appears to be wide enough, keys appear to move rapidly and notes repeat well.  Hopefully a shop in my area grabs one for the floor.  Do all of them have this action redesign?  5000,6000,7000? 

• Love 1

3 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

This is interesting, dynamic control appears to be wide enough, keys appear to move rapidly and notes repeat well.  Hopefully a shop in my area grabs one for the floor.  Do all of them have this action redesign?  5000,6000,7000? 

Yes, all three models have the new action. 

• Like 1

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

10 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

The new Casio Privia pianos will be available in October. The PX-S7000HM will have a price of $3,399/£2,249, the PX-S7000WE/BK will cost $3,199/£2,099, the PX-S6000 will be available for $2,399/£1,499 and the will be PX-S5000 offered at $1,799/£999” 

https://www.musicradar.com/news/new-casio-privia-px-digital-pianos

I’ll defer to the Casio site once they put up a price and I’m sure it’ll vary on some vendor sites when it comes to the market. 

I see there’s a 5000 and 6000 model too. Seems like an update on the already updated 1100,3100 series. I get the 7000 model and it looks like a home market especially with the stand and stool and I guess you could always throw it under your arm for a gig but what's the big difference between the 1100/5000 and 3100/6000 now? 

I never understood the complaints about the action. I never had an issue with it. IMO the PX series is probably the best bang for buck in terms of size, weight and sound. Speakers were surprisingly loud. I even did a few church gigs with a vocalist without any PA or powered amp. Reverb in the church carried the sound of the speakers. 

i think it looks and sounds wonderful, congrats to casio on a bold and innovative design. The stand looks fabulous. i got the chance to play the s1000 and found the piano sounds were second to none.

personally i think that the screen spoils the appearance, but i always dislike screens on DPs.

for those wondering about key length and hinge, it is clear to see on the promo videos.

image.thumb.png.7517674cd029f8578656c2f7e34a1bac.png

hang out with me at woody piano shack

16 hours ago, Jazz1642606857 said:

I like black digital pianos because they look more serious. These new things look like the designers from Ikea dropped in. 

I got rid of my S300 because of its short pivot points for the keys, which seem to have been carried over to these new versions. I'll stay with Kawai's ES120 for a good action and great dynamic response.

Jazz,  do you have a date from Kraft when the ES120 will reach their store?