Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Light weight keyboard amp or equivalent

7 hours ago, Delaware Dave said:

That's another reason why I included a small mixer.  Not only for gain staging but more than one input as you said you needed a mic and two keyboards.

Exactly. A small mixer opens up possibilities beyond just interfacing with a speaker. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

So this weekend I am downgrading (in size) to two Alto TS310 2000W 10-inch Powered Speakers. 25lbs each...  I bought one for rehearsals a few months ago and liked it... and now will be replacing my EV's for a lighter setup.  737570146_ScreenShot2022-06-13at5_18_10PM.thumb.png.096b514072e2429a661512fefa2315cc.png

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

2 hours ago, HammondDave said:

So this weekend I am downgrading (in size) to two Alto TS310 2000W 10-inch Powered Speakers. 25lbs each...  I bought one for rehearsals a few months ago and liked it... and now will be replacing my EV's for a lighter setup.  737570146_ScreenShot2022-06-13at5_18_10PM.thumb.png.096b514072e2429a661512fefa2315cc.png

i like the Alto amps , i've got a TS310 , but a few months ago i bought an MS 610 , and i gotta say it sounds better , the EPs especially stand out for

me as they're much warmer . the APs , not perfect , but way better . definite improvement over the older MS 500 KPs . for organ , a little better , i'm

still looking for " that sound " . am considering the Maggie stationary speaker amp from Mag Organs . more accurate for organ than anything else i've

heard . very clever concept

44 minutes ago, bill bosco said:

i like the Alto amps , i've got a TS310 , but a few months ago i bought an MS 610 , and i gotta say it sounds better , the EPs especially stand out for

me as they're much warmer . the APs , not perfect , but way better . definite improvement over the older MS 500 KPs . for organ , a little better , i'm

still looking for " that sound " . am considering the Maggie stationary speaker amp from Mag Organs . more accurate for organ than anything else i've

heard . very clever concept

At my age and neck condition, its now all about the weight. In a  classic rock band very few people hear the difference between the EV’s and the slight sonic inferiority of the Alto’s.  SPL is about the same. 

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

18 minutes ago, HammondDave said:

At my age and neck condition, its now all about the weight. In a  classic rock band very few people hear the difference between the EV’s and the slight sonic inferiority of the Alto’s.  SPL is about the same. 

yes , the Altos are loud , very loud

I bought a pair of the TS310s last July.  I'm really happy with them.  

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

8 hours ago, bill bosco said:

i like the Alto amps , i've got a TS310 , but a few months ago i bought an MS 610 , and i gotta say it sounds better, ...

Bill, the price difference of Motion Sound 610 vs 2 Alto TS310 is immense,- no ?

☺️

A.C.

1 hour ago, stoken6 said:

Do I remember a post here that said the TS310s are the sweet spot of the range, beating the 308 and 312?

Cheers, Mike.

Yes,- for sure, you can avoid a sub for most purposes w/ the 12" model,- small PA included.

The 10" model comes w/ almost the same specs,- so it will be satisfying as a keyboardmonitor w/o the Alto 12" longtrow hub for the most.

The 8" model works too, but needs the sub much earlier depending on the task.

You cannot change physics,- larger cones move more air,- so the 10" is the best compromise in sound, price, size and weight.

For the home (-studio), the 8" speakers are still enough,- but then, you can go into studio monitor territory and get "better" sound,- p.ex. Kali Audio IN-8 2nd Wave ...

But that´s not for band rehearsals or gigs.

☺️

A.C.

I bought a pair of Alto TS310's last summer and they're a lot of bang for the buck.  I paid about $400 (plus tax) for both, which were factory refurbished.  I'm a cheap bastard, so I rarely buy new.  I've been pretty lucky so far (cross my fingers). 

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

IMO The Alto TS series are the best bang-for-the-buck out there, as far as powered speakers.  I switched over to them when their 200 series came out (5 years ago?) after buying--and reselling--the QSC and Yamaha DXR models, and not being able to justify the investment.  The only issue I've had during that time is blowing two tweeters at two different times, once due to a sudden burst of "buzz" from my board due to a bad cable and the other by just pushing the highs too much via the small-form mixer that I always use as an interface between my boards and the speakers.  I currently use their TS312 and 315 models (I play LH bass in my trio and prefer the bottom end that that 15" provides), doing primarily outdoor events and venues.  I never go through the mains, but rather my on-state wedges provide more than enough volume and punch on their own, and that's in tandem with a drummer and guitarist.

Kurzweil PC4-7

Kurzweil Artis 7

Alto TS312 Powered Speakers (2)

Samson 6 channel mixer

I’m using an Alto TS210 and find this more than loud enough in a band situation with drummers and guitarist etc. I own three which I use for FOH on small acoustic gigs, keyboard amp, bass amp and wedge monitors for my main pa. I have had them for years and they have been very reliable workhorses. I did come across some manuals for a new Alto TS4 range which now has the mic/line switch and other improvements but nothing on their website yet!?

I recently tried a Bose S1 that one of my colleagues recently bought and I have to say I was very shocked at the output and full range sound this tiny lightweight box produced! I am tempted to pick one up for myself to use as a keyboard amp/monitor.

I should mention that both my Yamaha CP88 and YC61 keyboards have built in eq sections so a powered speaker works great for me.

Tonight was my first gig with my new pair of TS310’s, and I did not miss my EV’s at all!  To be honest, we were only playing at moderately loud levels. So I was not pushing them. But they covered everything brilliantly, organ, acoustic piano, electric piano, synth, And I was able to carry both into the club… one in each hand. For a 67 year old 6 months after major spinal surgery, not bad. 

• Like 1

A lot of references here to QSC but knowing Guitar Center they are pushing CP series and not K series in that price range?

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries