Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Hottest sax solo ever

That's not the first time I've seen a video of a tenor that plays like an alto - split tones, altissimo, etc.  The video says the saxophonist is Talayna Moana Nikora.  IMDB says Talayna Moana Nikora is a stunt actor. So she may have actually had flames on her back while filming.  Maybe that's what it takes to play hot sax. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ChoppedHam said:

That's not the first time I've seen a video of a tenor that plays like an alto - split tones, altissimo, etc. 

Yeah, sounds like an alto, not the tenor that's in the vid. As with the rest of the vid, it's an illusion.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

15 minutes ago, El Lobo said:

Yeah, sounds like an alto, not the tenor that's in the vid. As with the rest of the vid, it's an illusion.

15 minutes ago, El Lobo said:

Indeed - I think that was the intent :)

4 hours ago, Outkaster said:

Maybe not the hottest but one of the most heartfelt starting at the 4:20 mark:

Couldn't agree more - Clarence's signature song and just amazing.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Dr Nursers said:

Couldn't agree more - Clarence's signature song and just amazing.

Check out the one on Drive all Night and Independence Day.

• Like 1

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

What’s the difference between Kenny G and a machine gun?

A machine gun eventually runs out of bullets.

• Haha 1

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

8 hours ago, Delaware Dave said:

Now this is a hot sax solo.......

Thanks for this mention! Just a quick FYI to say we're doing a series of gigs this week that were originally scheduled for 2020 but postponed twice: Ram's Head in Annapolis MD (Thursday night) and Birchmere in Alexandria VA (Friday & Saturday). These are our first gigs since mid-December. This tune is definitely on the set list too - with the solo played by our alto sax player Cliff Lyons instead of Freddie here. Guaranteed to be HOT! 🙂 

1 hour ago, Reezekeys said:

Thanks for this mention! Just a quick FYI to say we're doing a series of gigs this week that were originally scheduled for 2020 but postponed twice: Ram's Head in Annapolis MD (Thursday night) and Birchmere in Alexandria VA (Friday & Saturday). These are our first gigs since mid-December. This tune is definitely on the set list too - with the solo played by our alto sax player Cliff Lyons instead of Freddie here. Guaranteed to be HOT! 🙂 

Reese,

Annapolis is about 90 minutes away from me.  Didnt know you guys were gigging in the 'area'.  I'll check the ticket situation so hopefully get to see the band.  My band is doing Pickup the Pieces and Cut the Cake and I'm covering the sax.  I actually have the sax parts down note for note. Really dig AWB...

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I'm guessing that the horn she's holding is a mid-80s King/Conn 615.  (I should be practicing.  Oh well...) The low register pads on the left side of the bell and the shape of the substantial neck brace narrow the choices.  Any other guesses?

On 4/5/2022 at 2:46 AM, Dr Nursers said:

This wins hands down:

My band has a habit of staying up and watching “Rage” on a Saturday night/Sunday morning  after a gig with a few beers.  In some unfortunate bugger’s hotel room - never mine!

This clip came on one night and it was the most oddly compelling thing I’d seen in ages!