Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tears for Fears on Colbert

Gearspotting....it looks like the KB player is using a Rhodes as a shell for a Roland RD-2000.🤭 😎

• Like 2

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

17 minutes ago, Doerfler said:

all Roland gear except for the Hammond Organ XK3 with Hammond covered by tape. 

It's a Korg CX3 (digital version).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I’ve always heard this song performed live with keyboard LH bass. Elsewhere Curt swapped bass duties with the other guitar player.

Here it seems the bass is tracked, alongside some percussion.

A great performance - Curt seemed to warm up and commit more as the song developed. And a completely cliche-free guitar solo at the end. 

Cheers, Mike

2 hours ago, stoken6 said:

I’ve always heard this song performed live with keyboard LH bass. Elsewhere Curt swapped bass duties with the other guitar player.

Here it seems the bass is tracked, alongside some percussion.

A great performance - Curt seemed to warm up and commit more as the song developed. And a completely cliche-free guitar solo at the end. 

Cheers, Mike

All recent videos I’ve seen had sequenced synth bass. 

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

No doubt there are some instruments in a BT. I guess the bass and the shaker sounding throughout the song that nobody is playing. Although I cannot tell from the video, there is a little keyboard riff at the start (which is then repeated later) that I would bet it is sequenced or recorded as well. Despite that, the performance is great.

I’ve listened to the new record a couple times and so far I like it.

Went back and listened to Seeds of Love and have to say the first side is one of the finest in pop history.   

• Like 1

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

I love TFF, one of their older concerts with Oleta Adams (who sang and played piano on Seeds of Love) is fantastic.

No tracks I don't think back then, thankfully, at least on the songs I watched everyone *appeared* to be doing the parts.

7 minutes ago, Stokely said:

I love TFF, one of their older concerts with Oleta Adams (who sang and played piano on Seeds of Love) is fantastic.

No tracks I don't think back then, thankfully, at least on the songs I watched everyone *appeared* to be doing the parts.

This one?

Cheers, Mike

The singer's voice has changed so much! Honestly, I never really liked the character of his voice, but it was very much part of their "sound." His "new" voice is less distinctive, but I might prefer it. It's not a great voice, but it doesn't bug me. ;-) Plus the guitarist looks much better with the facial hair, for whatever that's worth. ;-)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

10 hours ago, Jonathan Hughes said:

There's nothing to feel guilty about with Tears for Fears. The songs are interesting, well-performed, and sound great. Songs From the Big Chair is a fantastic album with a nice mix of pop tracks and more esoteric stuff.

It was more about the musicians that I hung around with then, all guitarists with classic or hard rock leaning.  I kept my TFF, Howard Jones, Thompson Twins, etc. to myself in their company. 😉

• Like 1

"The singer's voice has changed so much! Honestly, I never really liked the character of his voice, but it was very much part of their "sound." His "new" voice is less distinctive, but I might prefer it."

Both Curt Smith (the lead singer in "Everybody Wants Rule the World") and Roland Orzabal (the one playing guitar) sing lead on various songs (sometimes simultaneously), so I'm wondering if you're getting the voices confused (Roland Orzabal, to me, has the more unique voice — he sings more out of the back of his throat). I don't think Curt's voice has changed much.

To my knowledge despite the Roland rig, everything is being run via MainStage. At least it was on their last tour a few years ago.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

16 minutes ago, Jonathan Hughes said:

Both Curt Smith (the lead singer in "Everybody Wants Rule the World") and Roland Orzabal (the one playing guitar) sing lead on various songs (sometimes simultaneously), so I'm wondering if you're getting the voices confused (Roland Orzabal, to me, has the more unique voice — he sings more out of the back of his throat). I don't think Curt's voice has changed much.

Ah. It's possible.

• Like 1

Great stuff here! TFF is one of my all time favorite bands and I still have the vinyl albums I bought back in the '80s. Songs from the Big Chair is a masterpiece. I still love the old Keyboard Mag interview from 1985 when they talked about needing a Hammond sound for Shout and there was no Hammond at their studio. They phoned Peter Gabriel who lived nearby and he agreed to loan them his B3 and Leslie to record the 8 bar Hammond part. That's such a fun story.

The Oleta Adams TFF stuff is also amazing.

I saw TFF in concert in the early-mid '00s and they were great! I think the closest their tour comes to me is like 5-6 hours away and haven't decided if I want to make the road trip or not.

I was reading about them on Music Radar yesterday. There are a few articles and interview here:

https://www.musicradar.com/search?searchTerm=tears+for+fears

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact