Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Should we expect upper waterfall organ action manual (with two sets of drawbars for two presets) and lower weighted hammer action manual? Like two keyboard rig in one piece - organ at the top and piano at the bottom? That would be a beast, one of a kind!

There was a controller like that a few years ago, the Orla JamKey, but they fell flat.

An instrument like this, in the hands of someone like Guido, Andrea & Co would be fantastic. Mojo on top, Seven on the bottom. Very niche, but wow.

Slight OT: Roland came so close to "inventing" this with their Roland VR09 organ on top of a Roland RD64 piano (my current set-up). Both parts not too heavy individually.

The back side of the RD64 is not deep, and flat, with no necessary controls, so I physically rest the VR09 on top of the back-end of the RD64 (but shifted over slightly), and pull the VR09 forward right up to the beginning of the keys on the RD64 (so the keybeds look and perfrom like a dual-manual organ). Works great!

They made one video about their "gig rig" (VR09/RD64), but never really pushed the concept.

Wish some other company would revive this concept.....

I posted many years ago that Nord should create a red, wood-end-cheeked controller board with an empty top panel that's deep enough to support a Stage or Electro above it. I'm sure the Nord fanbois would be happy to pay a premium for all that red.

I think two boards that "mate" will work better than one two-manual board. Like Hammond's XLK5 or Crumar's lower manual.

Cheers, Mike.

I think that Roland set up didn"t take off cause the RD64 just wasn"t a great dp. The convenience of a single board with 2 manuals with a handle hold built into the back panel is one of the things I love about the SK2. Fingers crossed the 23kg is wrong.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

Are these guys still trying to make organs?.... They better hire some Italian engineers.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

On 1/18/2022 at 3:35 PM, niacin said:

I think that Roland set up didn"t take off cause the RD64 just wasn"t a great dp. The convenience of a single board with 2 manuals with a handle hold built into the back panel is one of the things I love about the SK2. Fingers crossed the 23kg is wrong.

+1. I've remarked in other threads how much I was rooting for the RD64, esp. as paired with the VR09.  But it fell short.  The sub-40 lb dual manual SK2 wins for convenience, in my book.

47 minutes ago, Jim Alfredson said:

Who is saying it's 23kg? It's 17kg or about 38lbs. I have one and it's brilliant. Some really nice additions and smartly laid out. I can't say much more right now. But it's a fantastic organ.

Thanks Jim, but damn, there goes this year's lunch money and then some

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

4 hours ago, Jim Alfredson said:

Who is saying it's 23kg? It's 17kg or about 38lbs. I have one and it's brilliant. Some really nice additions and smartly laid out. I can't say much more right now. But it's a fantastic organ.

Thanks Jim. Can we expect the reveal this month?

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

I posted the 23 kg. I got the information from somebody who deals with Hammond organs.

I see, it is not correct.

Hammond B3, Leslie 122RV, Viscount Legend JDF, Viscount Legend Live, Viscount Legend Solo, Prophet 6, Moog Little Phatty, Moog Minitaur, Kurzweil SP6, Grand Piano, Hohner Accordeon, etc.

3 hours ago, nadroj said:

New video released on Facebook. First glance shows a dedicated overdrive knob and what looks like that handle alluded to earlier in the thread?

Looks like a lovely bit of kit.

Looks awesome and expensive.

Am curious about the feel of those "drawbars."  The familiar nub is there to draw... but not attached to a bar!

7 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

Looks awesome and expensive.

Am curious about the feel of those "drawbars."  The familiar nub is there to draw... but not attached to a bar!

Yes, different drawbar design... more compact. So moving some of the controls to behind the drawbars was able to free up some more space for that second set of drawbars (which also ended up nicely more normally side-by-side instead of stacked forward and back as had been suggested as a possibility).

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

39 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

HammondDave will call it the end of western civilization.  Won't matter to most players (including me).  

I think this is pretty exciting.  Since I have the 73, will be hard to justify getting this, but maybe I'll find a way.  As others have said, the convenience of everything you need in one unit is pretty compelling.  I wasn't sold on it for the previous dual manual SK's because the piano sounds were IMO lacking.  On the Pro, everything is in the "useable" range and up, so for me it kinda works.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Wow, I'm quite amazed how they managed to fit all the controls in the same width of the 61-key panel, which was already crowded!

They moved to "drawfaders" to save space, but nothing changes in reality, the SK series always had faders even if camouflaged as drawbars, which I always found a bit cheesy to be honest.

And looks like there will be the option of choosing between plastic and wood sides.

Yes, the drawbars are essentially sliders. They still work the same and are spaced the same and the change allows a more densely packed control panel yet still room for the two sets of drawbars (plus pedal drawbars). The handle in the back is there. Dedicated overdrive knob. The last four sliders in the monosynth section can be used for global EQ.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/15/2022 at 1:30 PM, Piktor said:

I have no negative feelings towards Hammond (I have an SK2), but as far as I'm concerned, there is no point in putting a mono synth on this thing if you don't find a way to add pitch and mod wheels too. I cover that omission with an old Yamaha mcs2, but I would prefer not having to go that route.

They added the pitch/mod wheels for you!

1 hour ago, Amaryllis said:

i suppose most people won't be buying this for the piano, but even so, i wonder if you can shift the lower manual down an octave or two when using the piano sound to get some of the missing low notes back?

Yes, very easily. 

Hammond have got so much right with this board. If you want a "dual-manual organ plus" solution, which can cover pianos, EP, rompler and VA, this delivers - and it's got the Hammond name on the back. 

I'm not in the market, plus I want weighted keys downstairs and a couple of notches of improvement on the AP voices - but I wish Hammond well with this product.

Cheers, Mike.