Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I just sold my venerable and hard working SK2, in anticipation of getting an SKX Pro. Nearly 10 years of excellent, trouble free reliability is the best endorsement for everything Hammond. My herd of Nords haven't been the equal of the SK2. C'mon Spring! 

• Like 1

On 1/27/2022 at 11:08 PM, Al Coda said:

Because they will be in use like real drawbars always, I wonder how reliable these sliders will be.

MIDI - questions:

There are splits and consequently some local multi timbrality,- are layers possible too ?

Organ and extra-sounds, 2 extra-sounds lower and organ on the upper and vice versa ?

Can we expect some MIDI multitimbrality,- so extra-sounds were triggered via MIDI zones (incl. keyspan, transpose, velocity curve and responding to individual MIDI CCs) on different MIDI channels ?

It´s all about playing acoustic and electric pianos (except clav) by using a weighted  external piano action while using the organ manuals for organ and other combos.

🙂

A.C.

I’ve had zero issues with my SK1 and SK2, and the SK2 particularly has a few battle scars, but they’re merely cosmetic. 

I think the answer to all your other questions is yes, but suggest you download the manual and read the relevant sections to make sure it does exactly what you require, it is in English, not Rolandese, and provides pretty clear explanations.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

2 hours ago, niacin said:

I’ve had zero issues with my SK1 and SK2, and the SK2 particularly has a few battle scars, but they’re merely cosmetic. 

I think the answer to all your other questions is yes, but suggest you download the manual and read the relevant sections to make sure it does exactly what you require, it is in English, not Rolandese, and provides pretty clear explanations.

Thx,- but I didn´t find a manual, just only a brochure.

Otherwise I wouldn´t ask.

Where were you able downloading a manual ?

Any link ?

🙂

A.C.

13 hours ago, Al Coda said:

Thx,- but I didn´t find a manual, just only a brochure.

Otherwise I wouldn´t ask.

Where were you able downloading a manual ?

Any link ?

🙂

A.C.

Sorry, I was thinking of the SKpro, but nonetheless, the answer to slider drawbar reliability is there have been no known issues with earlier SK boards, the answer to layers is yes, and the answer to "2 extra-sounds lower and organ on the upper and vice versa" is yes.  Not 100% sure but the answer to using the SKXpro as a 2-manual Hammond while playing one of the other sounds from an external keyboard is probably no as you turn the voices on by allocating them to upper or lower and there doesn't appear to be any other option, but I may be wrong about this. The SKpro latest reference guide is here, presumably the SKXpro manual will be up soon:

https://hammondorganco.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/SK-PRO-Reference-Guide-edited-r.pdf

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

7 hours ago, Cabo said:

I may have missed the answer to this but -- does anyone know if the Piano and E. Piano sounds are the same as the SKPro?   

Answers and opinions on these sorts of issues have been discussed ad nauseum here:

Hammond Teaser ??? - The Keyboard Corner - Music Player Network

• Like 1

$4K is a lot.  For players who mainly want a dual manual organ for the traditional ergonomics and layout, Crumar and Viscount are much cheaper options that belong in the same conversation as Hammond clones.  You could midi in Korg Module and have significantly better pianos and epianos, though not the flexibility and convenience of the SKXPro, so that's a difficult trade off to assess.  If the SKPro monosynth is something you dig, that could make the $4K clearly worth it.  $4K also just reflects that we're living in an inflationary fiscal environment.  

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

22 minutes ago, Adan said:

$4K is a lot.  For players who mainly want a dual manual organ for the traditional ergonomics and layout, Crumar and Viscount are much cheaper options that belong in the same conversation as Hammond clones.  You could midi in Korg Module and have significantly better pianos and epianos, though not the flexibility and convenience of the SKXPro, so that's a difficult trade off to assess.  If the SKPro monosynth is something you dig, that could make the $4K clearly worth it.  $4K also just reflects that we're living in an inflationary fiscal environment.  

$4k is also $1500 more than the single manual SK Pro.  Quite a premium for the extra 61 keys.

It's the organist's equivalent of a Nord Stage 88.  Sure you could use an iPad with another clone but that clone will have very limited midi functionality, just a separate channel for each manual, not to mention the extra bits and pieces you'll need.  Small company.  Small market.  So you pay what you pay.  The SKx was already pretty expensive compared to the SK2.  Not sure if I'll jump or not but I have ordered some replacement end cheeks for my SK2 in case I decide to sell it, the original ones have taken a few hits.

$4k is expensive, but supply+demand at work. It's a niche product, but Hammond is betting that those players that really need an "organ and more" with dual manuals will pony up.

Crumar, Viscount, Mag, Uhl and other dual-manual clone manufactures fall short on the "and more" requirement, and any number of single-manual boards (Electro/Stage, YC, VR...) are also insufficient. 

Cheers, Mike.

10 hours ago, niacin said:

It's the organist's equivalent of a Nord Stage 88.  Sure you could use an iPad with another clone but that clone will have very limited midi functionality, just a separate channel for each manual, not to mention the extra bits and pieces you'll need.  Small company.  Small market.  So you pay what you pay.  The SKx was already pretty expensive compared to the SK2.  Not sure if I'll jump or not but I have ordered some replacement end cheeks for my SK2 in case I decide to sell it, the original ones have taken a few hits.

Yep, those are all valid points.  I think the point I'm making is that there's a certain type of "meat and potatoes" player who wants a dual manual clone and also wants to, at times, play piano sounds from the lower manual.  If you're that type of player, there are less expensive ways to get there AND to have better piano sounds.  You won't have fancy splits or be able to switch piano to the upper manual, etc., but there's a certain brand of player who might not care.  Granted, that player might still prefer the Hammond as a clone over Viscount or Crumar.

Though I'm tempted by the SKXPro, I'd be missing the weighted keys on my lower board, something that's easily achieved by the SKPro and a midi connection.  I'm not a Hammond purist who desires that precise ergonomic layout of the dual manual clone.

On the other hand, the convenience of a grab-and-go gig rig dual manual unit with is pretty appealing.  My life is too busy, my brain is too cluttered.  Paying a premium price for less clutter makes some sense for me personally.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

8 hours ago, Adan said:

Yep, those are all valid points.  I think the point I'm making is that there's a certain type of "meat and potatoes" player who wants a dual manual clone and also wants to, at times, play piano sounds from the lower manual.  If you're that type of player, there are less expensive ways to get there AND to have better piano sounds.  You won't have fancy splits or be able to switch piano to the upper manual, etc., but there's a certain brand of player who might not care.  Granted, that player might still prefer the Hammond as a clone over Viscount or Crumar.

Though I'm tempted by the SKXPro, I'd be missing the weighted keys on my lower board, something that's easily achieved by the SKPro and a midi connection.  I'm not a Hammond purist who desires that precise ergonomic layout of the dual manual clone.

On the other hand, the convenience of a grab-and-go gig rig dual manual unit with is pretty appealing.  My life is too busy, my brain is too cluttered.  Paying a premium price for less clutter makes some sense for me personally.

Sure, if you want something that just does the occasional piano on the lower manual, or you want weighted keys, you’re not the target audience. If it’s the former though, there will be a few SK2s and SKxs up for sale in the near future at a much lower price point

Damn. That be a whole lotta money. My SKX was $2396 on 6/30/20. But I got a a discount for being a very pretty man. 

Hammond, Anything else is just a clone. 

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

On 1/31/2022 at 5:10 PM, niacin said:

Answers and opinions on these sorts of issues have been discussed ad nauseum here:

Hammond Teaser ??? - The Keyboard Corner - Music Player Network

Sorry for the confusion, but I was actually asking about whether the new SKX Pro pianos and E Pianos have been updated from the SK Pro.

Yamaha Montage M6, Nord Stage 4 - 88, Hammond SK-Pro 73, Yamaha YC-73, Mainstage, Yamaha U1 Upright

1 hour ago, Cabo said:

Sorry for the confusion, but I was actually asking about whether the new SKX Pro pianos and E Pianos have been updated from the SK Pro.

There has been an OS update for the SKpro but just a few bug fixes, afaik the sounds for the X are the same

The sliders are not great but you adjust.  For those who don’t know even smooth drawbars you can feel where the ‘numbers’.   Not as extreme as ratchets. When I got my SKX I felt a little blind.  85% of the time I don’t play set registrations but there are some set registrations I pull. I actually have to look more at what I’m doing.  I hate change but you improvise, adjust and overcome. 

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

9 hours ago, CEB said:

The sliders are not great but you adjust.  For those who don’t know even smooth drawbars you can feel where the ‘numbers’.   Not as extreme as ratchets. When I got my SKX I felt a little blind.  85% of the time I don’t play set registrations but there are some set registrations I pull. I actually have to look more at what I’m doing.  I hate change but you improvise, adjust and overcome. 

Due to room acoustics I find that adjustment are necessary from room to room so when I'm adjusting my drawbars I set them by 'ear' rather than by number so sliding vs. real drawbars don't really play that big of a role anymore.  Also, VB3, Voce, and KB3 all have different levels of balance so depending on which organ model I'm using this also plays into the balance.

• Like 1

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Yeah, the only thing that would concern me about continuous sliders is in the studio, where room acoustics aren't the issue (as I'm not currently using a Leslie cabinet but rather am depending on the on-board Leslie effect), and where I might need to return to a song later with precisely the same registration. But I suppose saving as a preset is sufficient for that, if I have enough user slots available to dedicate to in-progress recording projects.

This dual manual version of the SK series update, passed me by, as it happened while I was busy closing on a home purchase and beginning my settling in period (I've barely begun!). I may have seen the announcement last year, but likely ignored it as I assumed the keybed would be Fatar and that I would still be inclined instead towards upgrading my XK-1c to the XK-5. Now I'm not so sure; Hammond says this is the same keybed as the XK-5, and the same sound engine. Same Leslie/etc. as well?

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Where did you see it's the same keybed as the XK5. (The SK Pro is not.)

You can duplicate any organ registration you want, whether you save it or not. You can always write down the numbers as always.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

https://www.kraftmusic.com/hammond-skx-pro-dual-manual-stage-keyboard.html?utm_source=adcenter&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=bing+shopping&utm_content=ham-skxpro&msclkid=fef9b346e736169b4c3ad2ba7b740a11

In the video, they say it brings the XK5's multi-contact system to the SKX Pro series, which is what makes the XK5's keybed unique vs. the XK-1c and older SK models, right? Although I suppose they could still engage that system on a Fatar keybed.

Also the XK5 tonewheel system, though the wording could perhaps be seen as not a 100% identical system but closer than the XK-1 or SK.

As for lighting affecting color perception, what some see as purple (or perhaps close to a Kurzweil shade), is listed at Kraft Music's site as British Green!

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Yes, on the SK Pro (and so presumably on the SKX Pro), they have implemented a version of the XK5's multi-contact system on a Fatar action. It also uses only two physical contacts, instead of three as on the XK5. (In both cases, additional contacts are "virtual" or simulated.)

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Thanks for the clarification. I was hoping the published specs would be more detailed, but it appears we have to rely on the knowledge of our forumite friends, which is fine but a bit unexpected. I'll have to give this a strong consideration as I plan to upgrade this year now that I'm in a gigging band again that needs organ.

8 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

Yes, on the SK Pro (and so presumably on the SKX Pro), they have implemented a version of the XK5's multi-contact system on a Fatar action. It also uses only two physical contacts, instead of three as on the XK5. (In both cases, additional contacts are "virtual" or simulated.)

You say the SKX Pro´s manuals come w/ Fatar TP-8O actions ?

Are you sure ?

I really hoped, it comes w/ Hammond/Suzuki made action,- at least for the estimated street price of about 4K bucks.

A.C.

1 hour ago, Al Coda said:

Are you sure ?

I really hoped, it comes w/ Hammond/Suzuki made action,- at least for the estimated street price of about 4K bucks.

A.C.

AFAIK it’s modified FATAR, not as springy as the Nord’s. Well received on this forum I believe. 

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

2 hours ago, Al Coda said:

Are you sure ?

I have no inside info. But the 2-manual versions of the SK1 used the same action as the SK1, and I would expect the two manual version of the SK Pro to use the same action as the SK Pro. Also, if they were using the XK5 action in the SKX Pro (or any action that was enhanced compared to what's in the SK Pro), I would think they would be touting it, and they are not. 

FWIW, the SK Pro action does feel notably better to me than the Fatar TP/8O action as used in the Nords and Dexibell J7.

13 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

Yes, the XK-5 keybeds have 3 physical contacts and software is used to simulate another 2 contacts per physical contact so 1 physical + 2 virtual x 3 = 9 hybrid contacts ( 3 physical and 6 virtual).

The Hammond SKX pro keyboards have 2 physical contacts however, 2 physical contacts are standard for any Fatar keyboard. Therefore Crumar and Viscount keyboards have 2 physical contacts as well. Crumar Mojo and Viscount simulate multicontact using software - as does the SKX Pro.

I am interested in pedalboard contacts. It started when I got my XK-5. When playing LH bass and tapping the pedals, the pedals had too much “tone” —  it was difficult to consistently get that toneless “thump” with light tapping.  I’ve figured out how to fix that, but in the process learned that the XPK 250 pedalboard is not multicontact (vintage Hammond pedalboards are). The  XPK 250 pedalboard is also not velocity sensitive. But there are ways to tweak the pedal response to make it “thump” with light tapping.  Interestingly the XK-5 has a velocity sensitivity adjustment for the pedal response - I plan to try it with an XPK-200 pedalboard (that transmits velocity) to see how the response changes.

There are SKX Pro demos on the Hammond site, including Brian Charette using an XPK-200 pedalboard - I wonder if multicontacts are simulated using velocity sensing for the pedals on the SKX pro —  it might make the pedal tapping response more like on a vintage Hammond.

Question to Joey Defrancesco playing his Viscount Legend on his facebook page:

Fan: Don't you miss the multi key contact on the keys?

Joey: “Nah”

😉