Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Cholecystectomy

Dave Bryce

I'm losing my gall bladder this week. :(

Not gallstones - weird condition called biliary dyskinesia. Basically, the thing won't empty the way it should. :idk:

Given this forum's demographic, I'm guessing there may be a few of y'all who may have been through the procedure. It does appear as if mine will go laparoscopically, so that's good news. Would love to get some feedback from others who've done this.

I'm told in my case that my diet shouldn't be that affected. Man, I hope they're right. The list of foods people with post-operative issues can't eat is basically everything I like. :eek:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

January 1, 2014 3am. My insides were on FIRE. Net research indicates appendix has ruptured and that fire is lethal toxin. I drive myself to ER in Chicago blizzard. NOBODY in ER. (I know, still dont believe it.) They try to tell me i'm CONSTIPATED. Uh, sorry guy. Long story short, my primary schedules an ultrasound for 2 weeks (!!!), so my friend, who leases machines to hospitals, meets me and works me up, tells me its a 2mm gallstone stuck in my bile duct. "dude, that's gotta hurt." Uh, no shit.

I drive myself to ER in morning with the films, 7am. by 9pm they wheel me in to surgery. Sometime between the time of their own films and surgery, my bladder died. (granted, it's now Jan 4, but at 1pm my gall bladder was still a laproscopic issue.) Worst they'd ever seen. Woke up with the mark of zorro on my torso. Add 2 hospital infections and incorrect antiobitic treatment by IV, and and a month of "will i make it" and I made it to NAMM. (that was the year I was on the handi-scooter)

My doctors swear no change in diet.

I would suggest no matter WHAT they tell you, after surgery, start immediately on a regiment of probiotics. It took 2 years for the hospitals mishandling of my gallbladder, the mishandling of my hospital-induced infection, and the mishandling of my antibiotic treatment to culminate in a stomach infection. Apparently more common than we know.

Good luck brother David!!

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Just a note: In the 35 years I have been administering anesthesia for cholecystectomies, I have not seen a situation as bad as Tonysounds. Obviously, it can happen and for that Tony, you have my condolences. However, the likelihood is exceptionally minimal, if not almost absent in non-emergent situations. So, Dave, relax and count backwards from 100...

Don

"Yes, on occasion I do talk to myself, sometimes I need an expert's opinion."

Alesis DG8, ARP(Korg)Odyssey Mk.1, Roland JU-06 & Keystation61. Stratocaster if I get tired of sitting.

Good luck to you,db. My daughter had to have her's removed a couple of weeks after she gave birth to Parker, my Grandson. This was a year ago. It went very smooth for her and her diet hasn't changed a bit. What sympathy gear are you gonna work into this deal? Moog One?

Yeah, these days they suck it out through a straw, much easier than when they used to do a subcostal incision. The fact that you don't have cholecystitis well help significantly. Not sure if having it done will have any effect on your diet, but I recommend that you don't start out with cheese fondue...

Pretty routine stuff these days I'm told. No need to worry. We'll all be thinking of you and wish you a speedy recovery.

I'd still suggest you to think of this as a reminder to look for times when you can eat a little less Sat Fat. I don't expect you will learn to love tofu like I do, but one less steak a week or a few broiled not fried selections aren't that hard to incorporate into your lifestyle.

Lost my gall bladder in '84 I think. Had a congenital defect. They took my appendix too "because they were in there." Before popular laproscopic procedures. Was in the hospital for days and took weeks to recover. That's all caveman stuff that shouldn't apply to you.

I remember my first Thanksgiving dinner afterward, stuffing myself, and feeling a slight pain that made me worried my digestive system could no longer keep up. It wasn't the case. I've had no restrictions and do not miss it.

Listen to your body and take it easy. Good luck!

Roland Fantom 06; Yamaha P-125; QSC K10; Cubase 13 Pro; Windows 10

One of my best friends had the operation 25 years ago. Today, he's in excellent health and eats almost everything, except heavy fried stuff and a few other things.

That said, undergoing surgery is always stressful... I wish you a smooth course of the operation and a fast return to normality. Keep us updated!

My Dad's burst and he survived...apparently it's a human leftover from a more primitive human version and not fully needed. Good luck Dave, you'll do fine . . .

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Ive had two friends have this done this year. Unpleasant, but youll be up and around in a few days - then a little better each day after that. Youll be motivated to eat well and take care of yourself no doubt. Good luck!

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Best of luck, Dave... yours doesn't sound too bad consider the plan is to do it laproscopically.

I had mine removed in January.

It felt like indigestion around dinner time, so I took some Tums. It was a Friday evening, and by 10pm it didn't feel any better. It felt like I had gas and simply couldn't get comfortable no matter how I sat or laid down. I drove myself to an urgent care ER thinking, meh, it's a Friday night, I can sleep in tomorrow. They did an ultrasound and the tech said I'm not supposed to tell you, but "you have bileal sludge and some super small minor stones... don't be surprised if you need surgery." The doctor came in and told me the same thing minus the surgery, but then ripped on me for my diet and the way I eat (I've got a few extra pounds, but I'm active and no slouch), and then sent me home.

For whatever reason, I felt fine through the weekend and its activities.

Monday, I didn't feel great, not as bad as Friday... so I pushed through work. As the day went on it got worse, and I popped into to tell my boss there was a chance I wouldn't be in tomorrow. Little did I know.

I drove home and told my wife I was driving myself to the closest ER that was incorporated with a hospital. The hospital was a good 20-30 minutes away. By the time I got to the ER and checked in, I writhed around in pain for almost an hour and a half in the waiting area before a room freed up where they could examine me. Mind you, this is when flu was running rampant so the hospital was pretty busy. Another ultrasound (same results) but the doctor was like "we need to get that thing outta you." However, the hospital was booked full and didn't have any rooms, so they had to call around (this is south Denver/Littleton). A half hour later they told me everything nearby was also full, and they were sending me another half hour south outta the Denver metro to Castle Rock!

Longer story short, Tuesday mid-morning I went into surgery to have it removed. They said they'd go laproscopic, but if it was worse, they'd have to cut me. A 2 hour surgery turned into a 4 hour surgery... my gall bladder had necrotic (dead) tissue, so they cut me to make sure they got it all out.

I have a 6" scar where they took it out, but honestly after all of the back and forth I was so happy they were going to get it done! I was in the hospital for a week to recover as I had some complications and needed a stent, but that's another story.

I pretty much eat what I ate before. I do have to be mindful of certain foods if I eat something fried or not super-healthy... just have a bathroom handy, as the more fatty foods will go right through you since your gall bladder isn't there to help you process them like it did.

Best of luck, Dave!

MainStage; Hammond SK1-73; Roland XP-80, JV-90, JV-1080, JV-1010, AX-1; Korg microSAMPLER;

Boss DR-880; Beat Buddy; Neo Instruments Ventilator; TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay

Best of luck dB! We will see you on the other side. :thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Never had anyone cut into my chest before... :idk::eek:

dB

And, hopefully, they won't be doing that tomorrow. Your gall bladder is in your 'abdominal' cavity.

Don

"Yes, on occasion I do talk to myself, sometimes I need an expert's opinion."

Alesis DG8, ARP(Korg)Odyssey Mk.1, Roland JU-06 & Keystation61. Stratocaster if I get tired of sitting.

As mentioned above, laparoscopic removal was a HUGE advance in surgery. Compared to a big incision under your ribs the recovery is a piece of cake.

One fairly common thing you see is shoulder pain from some of the gas they use to distend your abdomen getting trapped under the diaphragm.

Someone at work had this happen and was told it was from the anesthesia. Typical.

As Desert Rat can probably attest, we get blamed for everything.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

Archived