Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Cholecystectomy

Dave Bryce

Didn't read the whole thing so I gather I may be duplicating some of what has been said. I had mine removed laparoscopically roughly 25 years ago while in college. I left for vacation a 1-1/2 day later, though things like getting in and out of the car were painful that week. I wasn't supposed to lift band equipment for several weeks but was back at it in 2 weeks.

To this day, the biggest difference I can say, and my siblings with removed gall bladders confirm, is that I'm on the toilet usually about an hour after a meal and it will likely be a bit loose compared to what you're used to. My doctor says they actually refer to this as dumping. It's because the bile is no longer regulated as it once was.

So especially if you have a big greasy meal, don't start a road trip with no bathrooms along the way until you've had your post-meal dump. YMMV.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's because the bile is no longer regulated as it once was.

Yup, that's the role of the GB in the digestive system. It regulates bile so that it can digest fats.

So especially if you have a big greasy meal, don't start a road trip with no bathrooms along the way until you've had your post-meal dump. YMMV.

Not just grease, but butter too. I had to cut way back on saturated fats, especially fried foods. I like my buttered toast in the AM - the payback isn't too bad so I'm willing to tolerate that guilty pleasure.

The worst part is when excess bile comes out over a few bathroom trips. That burns.

Not everybody seems to have these issues, so yes YMMV.

My wife had this, got keyhole surgery. Other than being tender for a wee while, she was absolutely fine, no dietary issues.

On the other hand, another friend had it, and he has to watch what he eats. Not because it'll kill him though; he just gets terrible gas if he eats certain things. For example, you do NOT want to be in a car with him after he has eaten pizza...

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

As Desert Rat can probably attest, [anesthesiologists] get blamed for everything.
Wow, three of us here in one thread. Doesn't anyone take call anymore??

Call. Hmm. That word sounds familiar. Must have some ancient meaning. Nope. No call now, just telephone calls asking for coverage. So much easier on the heart and my sleep cycle. ;)

Don

"Yes, on occasion I do talk to myself, sometimes I need an expert's opinion."

Alesis DG8, ARP(Korg)Odyssey Mk.1, Roland JU-06 & Keystation61. Stratocaster if I get tired of sitting.

Congratulations Dave. Now, make sure you remember how well it went when you receive the billing statement. Especially from the one who made it so you didn't feel it. Hint, hint. I know it will be hard, but you can do it.

But seriously, glad everything went well and glad to have you back up and running.

Don

"Yes, on occasion I do talk to myself, sometimes I need an expert's opinion."

Alesis DG8, ARP(Korg)Odyssey Mk.1, Roland JU-06 & Keystation61. Stratocaster if I get tired of sitting.

Hi Dave!

Sorry to hear about your surgery but hope everything went well.

Had my gall bladder removed two years ago as emergency.

Today I am to 90% back to normal living. Eating everything I did before but sometimes need a quick toilet visit after a meal.

The first month after the surgery was much more frequent than now.

I'm actually feeling better than I probably should. I keep thinking I can get up and move around quicker than I actually can. Abdominal muscles are still pretty sore, but that's to be expected.

I am SO bad at sitting still for long periods of time... :rolleyes::idk:

No problem eating anything so far - I'm digging that. Can't say I have much of an appetite, though. My son just offered to get me a cheesesteak and I declined - just doesn't sound appealing at the moment.

Never seen his jaw drop like that before... :roll:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Hey Dave,

Sorry for the late post, but just read that you had surgery and am glad it went well! I'm also very happy that you had the laparoscopic procedure done.

I had gallbladder surgery myself but unfortunately not the laparoscopic procedure. I do have to watch my diet sometimes. but other than that have had no long term symptoms.

I wish you a very speedy recovery and a great holiday season to you and your family!

~ Anthony

Archived