Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I think I am suffering from anti-GAS.

RABid

Guess I am getting old and going through the change. I no longer want one of everything made. I want some space in my house. Not sure when this happened, but for the last two months I have been selling off modules and now keyboards, and it feels good. I've sold 2 keyboards here and probably 8 desktop modules on Ebay. This morning I listed 4 more keyboards and put a notice in the market here. Next I plan to go through my guitars, basses, horns, modular and beat boxes.

HELP! Is something wrong with me? Is it because I am so close to 60?

I am gassing for a Korg Odyssey as I feel it will complete my modern-vintage keyboard setup. Currently that setup is

LEFT:

Jupiter 8 (System 8)

Prophet 5 (Prophet 6)

Minimoog (Voyager)

CENTER:

Rhodes (RD-2000)

Quadra (JP80, seriously, it reminds me of an Arp Quadra with the 4 part structure)

RIGHT:

B3 (dual manual Hammond XK3c)

DX7 (Montage 7)

Second MiniMoog (Second Voyager)

And if I ever start gigging again I have a dual Kronos 2 rig ready to roll.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I too am approaching 60 and have sold off two synths and a module, multiple small bits of gear, with 2 keyboards remaining on the block, for now. I have lots of gear and instruments I have been considering selling. I think it is an attempt to simplify things and get the duckage lined-up. I was in Cosmo Music yesterday, went to the pa dept, got what I needed and left, without looking at one keyboard. Sad.

"I  cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long"

Walter Becker Donald Fagan 1977 Deacon Blues

That's the problem with getting into software...it doesn't take up any physical space :D

I'm down to a couple keyboards, one for live use (with our singer's juno-d as backup, gross....) Probably have one hardware purchase left (organ of some sort) that I can use live or at home. Maybe replace my ancient studiologic controller too as it has an issue. Other than that, all software.

But even there, I am trying to limit the GAS, even for cheap or free plugins. Some of the freebies sound OUTSTANDING too, but at a certain point, how many do need if the quality is there? It takes me away from actually working on music.

I do have a few smaller things, mixers mostly, that I'd like to sell. The thought of getting all the prep work done to sell them, to make maybe 50 bucks for each (or less) doesn't make me feel very motivated...I'll be using Reverb.com since I hate CL with a passion.

Not a collector, shoot me.

I might be the only person that does 'what are my requirements '

Call it a single minded approach

if I gigged , every/any board would need to serve a purpose and be used.

Once clear on what I want musically, I then find the music tools, in total, ( not piece meal] that get the job done with inspiration to follow. Not the reverse.

Buying 5 boards and having them mostly sit, is distracting to my song writing

process. Kronos has been my 100% music partner and the FA is just starting to make an appearance.

I can resist temptation of a MODX or Montage. I have plenty to work with as it is.

Just the way I see it. And it works.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

.... The thought of getting all the prep work done to sell them, to make maybe 50 bucks for each (or less) doesn't make me feel very motivated......

That is my issue with selling modular gear or small controller keyboards. I wish I was in an area where it would be easier to trade gear. I'd much rather trade modular gear than sell the parts for $50 each and have to box and ship each one. Same with little controller keyboards and mixers. I probably have 5 little 25 key controllers that I could get rid of, but it is not worth it.

I wish I had always been that way. In my first band years ago the rest of us would make fun of the drummer because he never bought anything. Had been using the same drum set that he had for 15 years. He was CHEAP! I mean, he had the electric company put up a security light because his electric bill was bottomed out on the minimal amount. I did not know there was a minimum, but he was paying like $7 a month at the time and only using $3 a month in electricity. The $4 a month security light charge was free for him.

Then our PA got stolen. The drummer whet out and bought us a new PA, then the next week went out and bought a house. Paid cash for all of it. We didn't laugh at him any more.

I hear ya too. I'm at a point where I've come to realize that if I don't use something live, it's not going to be worth anything to me. I'm not composing for my day job right now, and I really don't want to release any material without real musicians on it. I'm fine with doing mockups, but the plan is always to get real musicians, so I don't feel an intense urge to get the best non-keyboard sims out there. I have NO space in my small apartment, and my 2-keyboard live rig is already enough hassle it is. I'll probably add an analog synth sometime when I move to a bigger place and have a band where I can use a second stand, but that's not any of my current projects.

Only things I'm eyeballing:

Scarbee EP-88,

Orange Tree Jaco Bass (I've been writing A LOT of frenetic fusion as of late).

But really what I should get is a new 4K computer monitor, seeing as that most of my time is doing 3D graphics and video. But the one I want isn't on sale, so I feel no rush.

Nope, you're not alone, this is me EXACTLY. I'm sort of an anti-collector. I spend months researching new gear, and when I do I use it as much as I possibly can to really bond with it and fit it into my playing.

I'll admit to being a little elitist and look down on especially guitarists who just snatch up anything and everything that looks remotely pretty, then never play it. Sound is my life, the tools aren't.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

I also have GWS (Gear Withdrawal Syndrome)

I have been into electronic keyboards since 1981. My purchases were planned carefully and I made a conscious effort to stay off the upgrade treadmill (read: sell yesterday's forgotten toy to fund the purchase of today's "hot item"). I skipped over MANY "hot items" since the 1980s.

Another way I justified a purchase was to ask myself do I NEED it or do I WANT it? There's a big difference there.

Not just hardware either. I made do with an old WFW311 computer in my studio for 25 years until it finally gave up the ghost last spring.

I pretty much reached my plateau with hardware three years ago, where I was happy with what I have and didn't really desire any more stuff (OK, who wouldn't turn down a Moog Modular for a bargain).

I went to a few NAMM shows - 2000, 2001, 2005, 2016. The large gap were the years I was starting over after a divorce and really busy with my new job. By the end of the NAMM show in 2016, I found myself with no desire for new stuff. There was a lot of GOOD stuff at the show - but nothing I didn't already have or need. Anymore, NAMM shows are more about meeting up with friends than acquiring gear.

My most recent acquisition is a broken Oberheim FVS, which was a trade for a restored Memorymoog to a studio owner who has his own GAS for vintage gear. This will be the 3rd Oberheim I have restored, and after that project is done (and my elder care duties lighten up) I am putting more focus in MAKING SONGS ON THESE THINGS.

Ten years ago I added some guitar stuff - amps, guitars, cabinets with different speakers. Nowhere near the pile of keyboards and outboard gear, and the guitar acquisition came to a dead stop when I chose to emphasize my keyboard skills (read: I didn't want to be known as a guitar player).

I'm 55, still active in live music, still enjoying monkeying around with electronic keyboards, and have no intention of selling anything in my collection.

I wish I had always been that way. In my first band years ago the rest of us would make fun of the drummer because he never bought anything. Had been using the same drum set that he had for 15 years. He was CHEAP! I mean, he had the electric company put up a security light because his electric bill was bottomed out on the minimal amount. I did not know there was a minimum, but he was paying like $7 a month at the time and only using $3 a month in electricity. The $4 a month security light charge was free for him.

Then our PA got stolen. The drummer whet out and bought us a new PA, then the next week went out and bought a house. Paid cash for all of it. We didn't laugh at him any more.

its true, I am frugal [or careful] about almost everything

And I had lots of gear stolen, mine moog, ARP, Gibson guitar when I played in bands.

And I was broke so it was devastating.

That may have stomped on any impulses early on.

[70's Songwriter]

I'm at the same place. I don't need the money and I have lots of space in my house but I want to reduce unnecessary clutter. Simple is good.

In the last several months I've sold three keyboards (Hammond SK2, Acuna 73 piano controller, Numa Stage Piano), a couple of modules (Alesis Nanosynth, Kurzweil ME-1), and an old Akai DPS16 hard disk recorder. I'm currently selling Motion Sound KT80 and Groove Tubes SFX100 amps as well as a SKB 61 key 3i series case.

I usually gig with a Kurz SP4-7 and Hammond SK1 61, which I'm happy with and plan to keep. My other gigging keyboards (Nord 5D 73, Yamaha MX88, RD300gx) usually sit at home. As a result, I'm thinking of keeping only one of the aforementioned boards as a back-up and selling the other two. I also have an 8 year old Casio PX330 for home use which I plan to keep because I really like its weighted action for piano. In a pinch, I can use the PX330 for a gig as a weighted controller or as stand-alone piano because its AP / EP sounds, although not up to par with my other boards, are at least passable.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

I h

Nope, you're not alone, this is me EXACTLY. I'm sort of an anti-collector. I spend months researching new gear, and when I do I use it as much as I possibly can to really bond with it and fit it into my playing.

I'll admit to being a little elitist and look down on especially guitarists who just snatch up anything and everything that looks remotely pretty, then never play it. Sound is my life, the tools aren't.

Thats good. We are the only 2 ' non collectors' I think.

BTW, your material is very strong. Very impressive skill level.

Its all about getting the right sound for a part, from my head eventually into a song/audio file.

[70's Songwriter]

Hi. I'm tony, and I'm a gear a holic.

I am very Catholic about it: If I don't gig with it, I don't own it. Problem is, I have some options, but I do use different rigs for different gigs.

My main go-to rig, with my 'jamband' (remember Taco Hat!), is my SK1 88>Integra7 and a Moog 37, Speakeasy pre into a leslie.

My Freud Rig is Kawai MP7>Integra7, Sub 37, RC505, SK1 73, pre/leslie.

My disco/motown band uses my Sk1 88 midied to Roland FA07 (Sk1 handles its own clavs and organs, and triggers pianos, eps, or any other core sounds I deliniate from the FA07). A typical set-up would be the SK1 playign the FA piano, while triggering brass and synth from the FA itself. I also bring a 37 for solos.

I have a Novation Ultranova that I bought for vocoding in my floyd band, but I have come up with a better solution; and I have a Pro 2 which I'm still learning, but may bring to the gig this weekend (jamband).

And um....I'd kind of like a JDxa, and maybe a moog 1, or....

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

I've haven't bought any new synths or music-related gear in over 5 years. Basically, I'm happy with what I have and just don't get excited about new toys like I once did. I thought about buying a Kronos a few years ago but just couldn't justify it.

Perhaps that's a sign of old age. :laugh:

Life has been expensive the last couple of years as well. I just had a crown done at my dentist a few weeks ago. That's a real cash cow for them... whole lot of profit. But don't get me started. :(

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I must admit I've never been a sufferer from GAS.

I'm definitely more likely to "not buy" than "buy" unless I can demonstrate a significant improvement in audible output or personal convenience to offset the investment in time and money. How boring!

That said, I LOVE new gear when I do have it, and I love ooh-ing and aah-ing when band mates get new equipment.

Actually the other day when all the "I'm Getting" threads were created I was going to make mine: "I'm getting too old for this sh*t."

GAS comes and goes for me. A couple of years ago I divested myself of my last Nord Stage and Yamaha Du Jour in lieu of a good weighted controller, vowing it was "the end of hardware." It hasn't been easy, especially when you hang out here, but a daily cruise through CraigsList will tell you all you need to know about what someone's idea of the most advanced keyboard in the world turned into. Some of them are actually coming out in white, ironically. None of them are real musical instruments as far as I'm concerned.

The only piece of gig-type hardware I've bought is a Mojo lower manual. If the Mojo61 had a decent piano I wouldn't even hook up a PlugKey/Module.

No more jack of all trades for me. If I ever decide to be a sideman again, it'll be AP, EP and Organ.

Get off my Astroturf.

Here for the gear.

I can relate to this one. I started on a toy piano when I was a wee sprat. I moved up through AC pianos and went from drooling over Patrick Moraz's setup to having two stands' worth of synths at one point. Then, over time, its all reversed itself. I'm back to sitting at one keyboard again. Well, I do have two others to one side, for specific duties, but I'm generally on just one. It would kill me to even try to play Moraz's old rig now. What an obituary that would be, trying to explain WTH happened. "Old fart has infarction, reaching for vaporware glory." :roll:

An evangelist came to town who was so good,
 even Huck Finn was saved until Tuesday.
      ~ "Tom Sawyer"

I've had a lot of gear over the past few decades but like others, it had to serve a purpose either on stage or in the studio.

Otherwise, I'm a minimalist. I only have what I need. Right now, I have a Korg SV-1, Prophet 6 and an Akai MPX16 sampler.

The Korg Kronos 88 appeals to my minimalism. Unfortunately, it doesn't have the same FTEC as my existing KB rig.

At some point, I have to accept the fact that I cannot consolidate the SV-1 and Prophet 6 any further.

We'll see what happens if/when I get the Arturia V Collection. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I've got more good-quality keyboard stuff than I deserve, being a refugee from Bassland. I started with a need for a keyboard--any keyboard--just so I could learn/brush off my meager keyboard skills from years past. Once I got over that hurdle, I waited a fair while to make sure that I would actually play keys enough to warrant buying more hardware. I mean, why buy things if I wasn't playing keys, right? Well, yes, I was playing some...enough that I felt that I could justify buying another item or two. Now I've reached the point where I've got a pretty good scratch for most any itch, so I'm not able to claim that I "need" anything. There are still a few things that I want, but I'm not on fire, lying-awake-at-night, out of control GASing for anything at the moment.

Part of the problem is that I got scammed on a Yamaha CP4 on eBay a little while back. Mind you, eBay was as good as gold...they made good on both the purchase price and the shipping, so I'm not out a single penny. It's just that it left a bad taste in my mouth, so to speak.

Another part of the problem is that I have no time to play. I managed to steal about 10 minutes on guitar last night and still feel guilty about it. I'm up to my butt in things to do, but none of them are music, unfortunately.

Then there's the fact that I'm running out of room to put things.

Don't get me wrong--if I see something I don't have and the price is right, then I'll probably open my wallet, but it'll be an out of the blue sort of thing, unplanned. It's all in the paws of The Great Bear. If he dangles something in front of me, I'll get silly and bring it home.

I'm weak that way.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

I binge and purge. But it is both for keyboard stuff and PA. I binged for great JBL passive PA and wedges years ago, but shifting everything to IEMs for everyone now, so eventually the wedges will go and then I'll get out of all PA except IEMs. I love for my band mates to hear great sound, and I have more money than either talent or time.

It is when I'm not gassing that my chops improve. That is so hard to remember!

I've done similar things in other areas of my life. Getting rid of all but absolutely needed clothing. The thing I regret in hindsight is getting rid of all my HS yearbooks except for my Senior Year.

My mounted Doctoral diploma and Psychologist license have sat in a file cabinet for 8 years since my retirement. I'm tempted to throw those out. That is just unused stuff!

The hard one is my decision to sell my Schleicher chop. That feels more permanent than the diplomas.

life changes...

Barry

Home: Steinway L, Montage 8

Gigs: Yamaha CP88, Crumar Mojo 61, A&H SQ5 mixer, ME1 IEM, MiPro 909 IEMs

Keyboards are tools not toys. Since you can get through your music will less keys -and more money on your account- it's totally relevant to me that you're selling the rest of it. Let them find a new home.

I only have a Nord Electro 5 D, a Yamaha CP reface, a 49 and a 25 note controller(s) and two MacBooks (both for music and other purposes) and an old Weltmeister accordion. That's all. They are more than sufficient for all my musical needs, from the smallest to the biggest gig.

I hate consumerism, especially when we talk music

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

In 2017 I sold all of my Nord keyboards and did a round of hardware refresh, but I also remember telling myself that these will be the last big purchases of a flagship, workstation and dual manual clonewheel for a long, long time. The future will be in software, but software wasn't right for my needs.

Since then, I have definitely been buying a ton, but it's all in software plug ins, controllers and iPad apps. I have tons of new stuff, some I use a lot, lots that I don't, but I don't think that genie is going back in the bottle. I think that the software model is here to stay, and I am spending less of my time working on my chops and licks and gigs/jam sessions out and more time learning my way through a DAW, sound designing, workflow, etc.

This is just my way of keeping music new and moving forward, but my days of collecting big vintage pieces like an A-105, Leslie 122, Rhodes, etc. are more focused on finding new sounds and it takes a lot of random purchases for me to go through the trial an error.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

I kinda have figured out what I really want for a gig. Saturday I took only the piano and an iPad, which was a royal pia. The bl does not use a set list, and more times that not, he starts the number without calling it out. Trying to setup fast was a hoot to say the least, and the iOS organ was a challenge. With 3 hardware keyboards I have a fighting chance. Studio usage is a little different, but I have all the hardware/software I could possibly use. At this point, all other gear is a potential sell item.

"I  cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long"

Walter Becker Donald Fagan 1977 Deacon Blues

The more I work on music, the less GAS I have. Been trying to up my jazz guitar game for example, both in learning solo arrangements of tunes and playing solos.

Also taking on bits from Bach's Sonatas & Partitas for Solo Violin on both guitar and violin. A few elite guitarists, from Robert Fripp to Adam Rogers, have mentioned including this stuff in their personal routine.

That said, I still enjoy checking out shiny new gear, and lovingly restored/maintained old gear.

I'm hopeless. Sold my Fantom X7 today. Thinking about ordering a Deepmind 12.

At some point, you hwve to figure out what sound, feature, functionslity, etc. you're really chasing. Good luck. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I'm hopeless. Sold my Fantom X7 today. Thinking about ordering a Deepmind 12.

At some point, you hwve to figure out what sound, feature, functionslity, etc. you're really chasing. Good luck. :cool:

Sounds like dating. :steve:

Except it is a unilateral decision. (well almost: I remember the phone on the wall at West LA Music. Next to the phone was a sign that said something like For calling the Wife.

Barry

Home: Steinway L, Montage 8

Gigs: Yamaha CP88, Crumar Mojo 61, A&H SQ5 mixer, ME1 IEM, MiPro 909 IEMs

Archived