Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I think I am suffering from anti-GAS.

RABid

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have to admit Im a gasser too, or at least i was. However, since getting a Casio MZ-X500 a year ago, Im almost GAS free. Theres a lot I still havent learned, capabilities that are waiting to be unlocked by my learning, and the thought of having a new learning curve puts me off and dramatically lessens my GAS.

Esp since Ive been so loving my ipad connection. The built in sounds of the MZ combined with the outstanding sounds of Syntronik, Galileo 2, and Neo Soul Cafe is just phenomenal. Ive always been driven by sound quality, and now with this combination of board and ipad I achieve sound quality that is beyond what Ive ever gotten before and is frankly beyond what I thought I could get. And adding new sounds is just an app away, not hundreds or thousands of dollars away.

One way of describing my search for sound quality is wanting a sound that fits the music at hand, blends in, but also can be clearly heard. As I listen back to the many recordings that Ive made at the jam sessions I go to, I hear myself being very focused on being strictly on beat, having solid LH bass lines you can depend on, comping riffs that accent and add liveliness, etc. In other words, I take my job as being a support player very seriously.

But in the course of doing that, on listening back I hear over and again ways that both my playing and the sound Im using could have been more dynamic, a little more over the top, a little more prominent without taking away from the support role I take on. And besides my playing, the quality of sounds Im getting these days from my simple 1 board + ipad makes that possible. With the right sounds I dont need to be overly loud or dominating, but I can still have the satisfaction of knowing I can be clearly heard and knowing I sound good. So no GAS there.

However.... I am sorely tempted by the Yamaha MODX. With 76 keys, light weight, and lots of reviews of great sound quality, I see its appeal. Also, that its not a $4k board like the NS3, at least makes it semi-affordable. And with its apparent popularity, theres bound to be a lot of support for it, and soon enough, used boards thatll take $300-500 off the price.

However, Im a 1 board guy these days, and theres always trade offs. My MZ has wonderfully loud onboard speakers that create an enveloping sound when paired with a K10. But the MODX7 has 76 keys. And so it goes...

Randy

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Have been thinking of cutting back as well, letting go of both JD 990's (Vintage and Sounds cards), JP 8080, Radias, Prophet 08 and Fantom X6 and pickup a Kronos2 and Mojo61 or Legend Solo. Will keep the Mini (74) and Juno 60.

That's the problem with getting into software...it doesn't take up any physical space :D

I'm down to a couple keyboards, one for live use (with our singer's juno-d as backup, gross....) Probably have one hardware purchase left (organ of some sort) that I can use live or at home. Maybe replace my ancient studiologic controller too as it has an issue. Other than that, all software.

But even there, I am trying to limit the GAS, even for cheap or free plugins. Some of the freebies sound OUTSTANDING too, but at a certain point, how many do need if the quality is there? It takes me away from actually working on music.

I do have a few smaller things, mixers mostly, that I'd like to sell. The thought of getting all the prep work done to sell them, to make maybe 50 bucks for each (or less) doesn't make me feel very motivated...I'll be using Reverb.com since I hate CL with a passion.

I have gone the software road for a few years.

I have the top piano vst's like Garritan, Embertone Walker 1955, Ravenscroft, Cinepiano, Super grand, Hammersmith and many more.....

I am deleting more than ever recently because only few still give me that superb satisfaction.

The same applies to many other top vst's varying from synth to keys that cover all my needs.

I discovered the better orchestral libraries lately,...... i really shouldn't have.... to expensive,.... but the level of realism is stunning to my ears.

I occasionally visit a musicstore and warming to any current hardware offering isn't happening.

I cannot believe how my sound perspective has changed in only a few years.

Still have two hardware Hammond clones getting dust, the Integra-7, Blöfeld and effect units and on the attic some Emu stuff.

I hardly play outside anymore, but when i do i detest most onboard sounds in combination with amplification.

I really don't now if it's something i gained or lost, but playing a main piano sound from whatever stage piano stops me from enjoying playing.... unless it's a good mic'ed grand piano.

The only hardware unit that i would still consider when the money would be available is the Sequential prophet X.

I sold my Nords and am ready to sell my last hardware.... althaugh i am still trying to convince myself that would be a very stupid thing to do.

I think Its a maturity and redundancy thing. Im almost 50 and I went Through that last year. To me its more of why do I have So many keyboards that do the same thing and others that can emulate those very well. What is its purpose?! So I started Selling off my excess boards and fell so much more better. The bad thing is that you will evaluate everything from this point on before you buy it. Lol
Yamaha MODX8, Korg Kronos 2 61, Hammond B3, Novation 61SL MKII, Impulse 61, Roland D-550, Proteus 2000, etc......to name a few.

At my age (57), I've developed a pretty simple test to determine how much I want to buy a new piece of gear. I simply ask "will this help me become a better piano player?"

You can guess what the answer is pretty much all the time.

I'm saving a lot of money this way.

I think the other thing is having invested in higher-quality gear, so I have less regret or envy of the shiny new things. There is nothing available right now (within my current budget) that will improve my sound and/or make loading/setup easier than the stuff I already own.

Some great stuff in this thread.

I don't particularly have any desire for additional hardware at the moment. When someone releases a "MainStage for iPad" I may jump on that.

At the moment, I seem to be suffering from "Pedalboard Optimisation Syndrome" (PoS?)

Cheers, Mike.

Since I work in tech I've avoided the VST/computer approach (but I'm sure it offers a lot of benefits). For my cover band my analog Korg CX3 (with Lester K) covers the Hammond bit and the Casio PX-5S does pretty much everything else. I recently joined a Maroon 5 tribute act and scored a used Casio XW-P1 on eBay and that has been a workhorse (I use lots of splits, pads, etc.). I don't see any additional gear in my future keyboards wise. I have a need for a powered speaker for a piano/female vocalist duo act I'm putting together, but that purchase is a necessity. Once again the PX-5S will cover all the piano sounds I need for that project. I can't justify spending a ton of money on gear, and modern boards are super versatile!

Korg CX-3 (vintage), Casio Privia PX-5S, Lester K, Behringer Powerplay P2, Shure 215s

http://www.hackjammers.com

My deal is not getting "what I need". I enjoy synthesis and synthesizers. Buying "just what I need" is like trying to only take vacations that I need. I like to explore and travel. Does that define need of a vacation or do I have to be stressed out? Do I only need synthesizers that I play on stage, or does the enjoyment of hours exploring sounds count?

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I enjoy synthesis and synthesizers.

Do I only need synthesizers that I play on stage, or does the enjoyment of hours exploring sounds count?

Reads like a Prophet X should be your next move if you haven't already. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I enjoy synthesis and synthesizers.

Do I only need synthesizers that I play on stage, or does the enjoyment of hours exploring sounds count?

Reads like a Prophet X should be your next move if you haven't already. :cool:

Yeah, that's my next move ...

Back to the OP thread? I have more than enough for live gigging. Now I want an exploration synth just for fun. And that leads me to the Prophet X (and XL).

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Well, I've been dreaming of Hammond, Organ, Piano since I was 6 when I stated to learn the Piano....I had my first synth as a CS15 Yamaha and Crumar multiman S. Plus Mc2020 plus SH101...Sold, everything for a Korg DP, D50 and TX802....

There are still in my rack, plugged and used. I'm kind off a collector as well and replay like the personality of different "instruments"....the D50, on top of my stage 2 with the Norld Lead iis one side.

The C2 Nord with P08 and P12 is on the other side....

Could I not have the P12 at a gig? Well, yes...The studio, so much fun and awesome sound to dial and a joy to play live with so many parameters....And the two P's look so nice on stage with. Ice lights

Well, I think my GAS went when I decided I wanted a "classic" sound/module form the area I like, the 80's from a high main manufacturer which were the St Graal at that time, thus, my two matrix 1000, my XV5080 and my Proteus 2000 EMU....

Anytime I want to sell some things, I found a lot of song we play where I use them...Not all at the same time but still a sound in a module that makes the song a bit special....

So, still GAS for me, ASK MY WIFE....Imreply to her that I don't sell because when I'm in love Imdonmt cheat and I'm faithful, I keep the stuff I love....Then, I've been keeping her for 28 years, she should be happy...

Not sure she like the comparison all the time...

The real GAS for Em is:

I love nice instruments and guitars and basses are here for hat. I don't play them but I have 4 guitars and 3 basses : My bassist and guitarists prefers them to their gear, they play them regularly at any practice and gig...So, my toys/instruments go out and get "laid", Oups "played" sorry...

Last gas I picked up, like Cphollis, being the sound guy of my band and giving ga k AMY bad stuff like crappy noise Pa. Cheap cables that hum and buzz like crazy and redoing all the full set up for a 24/12 reruns plus it of two wedges and IEM for the and....Nit chase but when we use them, great Grreat sound...

We play events and big venues and private though so 2000/3000$ is the lay for 6....

But I never bought the new stuff without having trie it a lot and saw if it was going to help me in my music jkurney or my synths' live connect, so....

Ok, there a lot of cable, I like cable they feel right, when they are good, I think being wireless is weird for me, I trust so much a good connection...

So, I guess, I'm a big Gas guy....Unless having GAS means selling and buying continually...

Stage 2, C2, NL2X+TC Pedals, P08+Tetra+H9, P12+TC Chorus D50+PG1000, 2 Matrix 1K, Proteus 2K, TX802, Streichfett, Drumbrute. Guitars:G&L Legacy, Asat X2, Ibanez Artstar AS153.Bass: L2000, SR1200&2605.

You need to take a Pro-Gas-Acid...I will probably be selling off a bunch of gear myself soon...the gigs are not lining up and I have more interesting stuff happening at home...especially with heading headlong into retirement hopefully soon... but I may also gig more...gotta see! I could use a better AP at home. Time will tell

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Archived