Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Interesting gig this evening...

HSS

It's a two-hour party at the Erotic Heritage Museum here in Vegas. It'll hopefully be as interesting and fun as the party gig I played last year at the Chicken Ranch in Pahrump. The pay isn't great but for me the potential for pleasant weirdness adds to the compensation.

I enjoy bizarre gigs as long I'm not subject to arrest and violence, my gear isn't threatened, and the logistics aren't too much of a hassle.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha CK88, MX88, & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sounds fun! There's a gig here each year at a nudist farm. Sounds ok in theory but it's actually kind of a drag of a gig in practice. (Musicians are clothed.) PITA to set up and no one really interacts with you because they are all off being nude elsewhere. Plus your car gets all dusty, which as I type it makes me realize that that means the naked people must be dusty too.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

NYC has a museum of sex (it's called The Museum of Sex), but as far as I know, they do not host live music.

J.S. Bach Well Tempered Klavier

The collected works of Scott Joplin

Ray Charles Genius plus Soul

Charlie Parker Omnibook

Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life

Weather Report Mr. Gone

Sounds like the piano player gig from Eyes Wide Shut.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

No thanks. I'll stay home, practice and enjoy myself. Semi-retirement suits me just fine.

The dough doesn't have to be great but the music has to be stimulating and the hang somewhat fun. If either of those last two are missing I say - thanks for the call but no thanks.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

The gig was fun but certainly wouldn't be for those who are easily offended. The crowd was a mix of mainly LGBT folks, exotic dancers, and eclectic artsy types. The pay was modest but the crowd was very well-behaved, danced a lot, and tipped well. The wine and munchies were top-shelf. Load-in / load-out was easy. I would add that the "entertainment" during the half-hour break between the band's two sets was enjoyable. ;)

Aside from the predictable humorous (for me) over-the-top exhibits in the main lobby, the 24000 ft2 two-floor museum itself was actually quite interesting and devoted to human sexuality through history and across different cultures. The museum is located west of the strip at the intersection of Sammy Davis Jr.(Industrial) and West Desert Inn.

FWIW the band I played with is now considering an offer to play weekly at the museum opening up for a Burlesque act. My wife gave me the green light so I may agree to it.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha CK88, MX88, & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

I would add that the "entertainment" during the half-hour break between the band's two sets was enjoyable. ;)

Pics or it didn't happen.

I don't normally participate in this sort of social blackmail, but...yeah...

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

OK... Since you called me out, below are links to three of the photos I took at the gig. Hopefully my Google Drive links work and I don't lose any street cred. At the same time, I hope the photos don't push the envelope too far and offend anyone and get me in trouble with the KC moderators (sorry Joe).

The "stage" area as we were setting up:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1im5suPV931_bpeb-juaH4CwDF-Fg3cH4

The "entertainment" during the band's break:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=18SV7Uk0yHcowmjJvf12PWJQFtMsAyKEc

My keyboard rig at the end of the gig:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=10BekN7RpcDw04uBuy0dkXYuBrEAD5Weq

I may have another private party gig at the Chicken Ranch in Pahrump in another month or two. If y'all are nice to me, I may supply some photos.

What brand/model of keyboard stand are you using? It looks nice.

MainStage; Hammond SK1-73; Roland XP-80, JV-90, JV-1080, JV-1010, AX-1; Korg microSAMPLER;

Boss DR-880; Beat Buddy; Neo Instruments Ventilator; TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay

I would like to submit my application for these gigs. I don't even need to play, I will roadie. Even better, I'll be the photographer and videographer.

Living in the Bay Area for the past 15 years, I've been to my share of events like this, both as a musician and otherwise. My experience has been that events like this that explicitly celebrate sex just aren't that sexy. They feel artificial, commercial, and forced. No disrespect towards the OP . . . a gig's a gig. I'm just saying I'd look elsewhere for real thrills. YMMV.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Those little JBLs are great for rooms like this.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I would like to submit my application for these gigs. I don't even need to play, I will roadie. Even better, I'll be the photographer and videographer.

Living in the Bay Area for the past 15 years, I've been to my share of events like this, both as a musician and otherwise. My experience has been that events like this that explicitly celebrate sex just aren't that sexy. They feel artificial, commercial, and forced.

Thank you and understood. I was trying to be funny, fell short of that goal. I will stop these banal attempts at comedy, won't happen again.

I'm just saying I'd look elsewhere for real thrills.

Do you have any addresses or phone numbers?

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

What brand/model of keyboard stand are you using? It looks nice.

The stand is a Quiklok QL642. Of course the QL642 is a dreaded x-stand which are inherently unstable and prone to collapse but the two boards I was using that night weighed a total of only ~40 lbs (Kurz SP4-7 and Hammond SK1-61). The QL642's second tier is very adjustable and can get the upper board within a just few inches of the bottom board.

Despite a couple of bad experiences I've had with x-stands, I continue to use them because they're easy/ fast to set up, portable, and I'm lazy. In any case, each to their own.

Those little JBLs are great for rooms like this.

The mains were JBL Eon 515xt's. I was using a Yamaha DBR10, which weighs only ~23 lbs, for my amp / stage monitor. I usually use either a QSC K12, Eon 515xt, or Eon15 G2 but I'm getting older now and wanting to go, within reason, as portable /light as possible. The little DBR10 wasn't nearly as loud as the big guys but I switched its gain button from line to mic and had plenty of volume for that gig. For clarification I should add that I play in mono.

BTW... I want to add a plug for the old JBL Eon G2 15's which I still have two of. Although they aren't as clean and smooth as the new powered speakers, The Eon15 G2's inputs are hot enough that you don't need mixer for keyboards to get enough gain to adequately drive them. I plan to hang on to my two Eon G2 15's, which I've had since 2001, until they die. In a pinch, and if one's back can handle their weight, you can just plug up to three boards directly into the Eon15 G2's inputs and you're good to go with an enough volume to keep up with most loud guitar players.

Archived