Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Irma Go Away!

tarkus

After a great Labor Day weekend, I thought I would have time to plan evac. Wound up paying 1200 for two one-way tix out of Miami. Glad I did because I was left with two alternatives:

Plan B: pack my valuables in the FU bags and drive as far as a tank of gas would take me.

Plan C: Sit it out with a lovely view of biscayne bay turning to hell.

I photographed all my gear, put the keys, guitars and basses in their respective cases. Most of the gear went into a walk-in closet and the rest in the spare bathroom.

My amps are used as additional buttressing against the closet doors.

I went through a total loss mess back in 2002. everything is replaceable. Unfortunately I know way too many people that opted to tough it out.

I'm watching computer models and praying to ST Jude.

Irma - go away!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good luck Tarkus thanks for sharing. I hope your residence and gear makes it out unscathed and that your unexpected 'trip' ends up being a fun adventure.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

It's getting uglier and uglier, isn't it? And now it looks like Jose is coming right behind this one but it's too early to tell for sure yet.

You're smart to pay whatever you had to to get outta there brother.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Don't worry about Jose, he'll be turned away at the border.

Badda bump, badda bing :)

Seriously, though, I live in Vero Beach, so I've been obsessing about Irma for at least two weeks since it was a tropical depression off the African coast. Something about storms that begin with the letter "I" I guess, they're all well into the season.

A few days ago, the forecast track was right over my town. OK, not good, serious preparation all around. Over the last 24 hours, the track has moved west. Not good fo the Tampa crowd, but at least I'll be spared significant destruction.

This will be my 3rd hurricane in FL. What have I learned?

Forecasting is good, but not perfect. Tracks change over time. A fifty mile shift is all the difference between a messy lawn and replacing the roof.

You can ride out most hurricanes with preparation, but not all of them. Knowing the difference matters.

If you live in a concrete block house with hurricane windows, metal roof, generator, etc. you're gonna be just fine almost all of the time. As long as you're not in a flood zone.

And the media will try to scare the living crap out of you, because that is what they do.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

If you live in a concrete block house with hurricane windows, metal roof, generator, etc. you're gonna be just fine almost all of the time. As long as you're not in a flood zone.

Chuck, if memory servers me correctly (which sometimes it does not!) aren't you on a barrier beach? If so, be careful. Sandy had her way with the Long Island and New Jersey barrier beaches. Wind is one thing but the force of a storm surge is really incredible. Hopefully, you, your family, your home, and your Bosie will be unscathed.

Chuck, if memory servers me correctly (which sometimes it does not!) aren't you on a barrier beach? If so, be careful. Sandy had her way with the Long Island and New Jersey barrier beaches. Wind is one thing but the force of a storm surge is really incredible. Hopefully, you, you're family, you're home, and your Bosie will be unscathed.

Mandatory evacuations for Sebastian, Vero Beach, Fellsmere, and other parts of Indian River County will begin Saturday at 8:00 a.m. Emergency Shelters will also open on Saturday at 8:00 a.m.

The mandatory evacuations in Indian River County are for low lying areas, substandard housing, areas east of U.S. Highway 1 and the Barrier Island.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Now we worry about brother S Gould...

dB

Thanks for remembering me, Dave! We're hunkering down, kevlar on the windows & a generator. The studio came through Charlie OK (cat 4 direct hit), so I've got my fingers crossed for this one.

Greetings from sunny Port Charlotte to all!

Scott

Ditto on the media desire to profit on sensationalism. I recall a hurricane prediction for NYC area. It was nothing,. But huge rainfall is another matter esp with wind hitting horizontally not vertically.

It seems like storms are worse the last few decades. Is this true.

Be safe please.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Best wishes to all Floridians, and anyone else where Irma goes. The 2017 hurricane season can end anytime now...

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Chuck, if memory servers me correctly (which sometimes it does not!) aren't you on a barrier beach? If so, be careful. Sandy had her way with the Long Island and New Jersey barrier beaches. Wind is one thing but the force of a storm surge is really incredible. Hopefully, you, you're family, you're home, and your Bosie will be unscathed.

Mandatory evacuations for Sebastian, Vero Beach, Fellsmere, and other parts of Indian River County will begin Saturday at 8:00 a.m. Emergency Shelters will also open on Saturday at 8:00 a.m.

The mandatory evacuations in Indian River County are for low lying areas, substandard housing, areas east of U.S. Highway 1 and the Barrier Island.

Thanks, all. I'm writing this from my other headquarters in Plymouth MA, so a safe distance away. There are many who will brave it out. I will not be among them.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

excellent article

A Requiem for Florida

That is very well expressed. I've been through a hurricane and a friend had his home totaled by Katrina, so I'm cringing at the news. With flooding, you can only scrape it to the ground and rebuild, basically. Its a uniquely disheartening thing to be forced to start over, flat-footed. Here's a tip: recognize physics and move away from the flood plains & upholstered swamps. This isn't going to suddenly stop. Contribute what you can, as the need is overwhelming. Nothing brings it home like seeing someone rescuing their dog in a laundry basket. :facepalm:

"Well, the 60s were fun, but now I'm payin' for it."
        ~ Stan Lee, "Ant-Man and the Wasp"

Now we worry about brother S Gould...

dB

Thanks for remembering me, Dave! We're hunkering down, kevlar on the windows & a generator. The studio came through Charlie OK (cat 4 direct hit), so I've got my fingers crossed for this one.

Greetings from sunny Port Charlotte to all!

Best wishes for the least possible hassle, my brother. Looks like you're gonna get a front row seat. Stay safe...

Same for brothers Tarkus, Hollis and all the other folks in or near Irma's path.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

I've been rather absent for a while, but it's time to come back into the fold. I'm in Palm Bay, about 15 minutes north of Indian River County where they are having the mandatory evacuations. Really makes no sense to declare the evacuations at 8AM Saturday. No way you would have the time to get out of the way of the storm.

We've been watching Irma very closely. While the center of the storm is going to go over the west coast, and we're on the east coast, that does not mean we won't get it hard. The storm is so big that no where in Florida is safe. We expect hurricane force winds to get here late Sunday, and go through Monday Morning.

We've boarded up the house. put bags of mulch (didn't want to wait for 4 hours for 10 sandbags) in front of all spots where water could come in, have 24 hours of gas for the generator, and plenty of food and water.

We are as prepared as we can be.

What worries me is I have family and friends in the Tampa area, and they're getting the direct hit.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Archived