Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I Paid it Forward...... and touched a musical life.(Lengthy

lightbg

I'm certified to teach Music K-12 in the State of New Jersey, and I've spent the last 21 years doing that in the City of Elizabeth in a K-8 elementary school. I'm blessed to have both a Principal and a Supervisor that allow me to try anything that will give our students a better understanding of music and help them become adults with good value judgments and critical thinking skills. More on this in a moment.

I became a teacher because of an amazing reed player who was also my assistant band director in Clifton, NJ. Eddie Wasserman was known as "Eddie the Cool" because he did jingles and sessions in NYC, and was an outstanding player. He also directed the Stage Band in which I played keys. Out of his own pocket he chartered a bus and took 20 of us to New York to sit in the control room of a Basie Band recording session. I was totally transformed: at that point in my life I knew Music was going to be pivotal; hence my becoming a teacher. Back to the main point.

My final Spring Concert was last Thursday. Since I'm also certified in LKR (Little Kids Rock), I wanted my "modern band" (keys, bass, and drums) to perform. I have three 8th grade girls who took to these instruments like a fish to water. They played and sang "Oye Como Va" and "Heathens". Their performance was over the top - parents, students, staff and other visitors went wild and gave them a standing ovation. I thought this was a great way to end a wonderful career.

The next day my kids came to rehearsal to help pack things up. The drummer said her parents were buying her a drum set for graduation. The keys player I took care of by giving her an older Yamaha PSR that my son used then forgot about. The bassist was hesitant. I asked her if she would get a bass, and she told me that there were "issues" at home. I didn't press her for details, but it bothered me since I could see how much joy she had when playing.

That night was my retirement party. I do remember some of it, but the next morning I opened the card I was given. There was money in it. I knew what I had to do next: I raided my GAS money and along with my gift went to Guitar Center and bought a Fender Squier 4 string bass (which the salesman there gave me a solid when he found out why I was buying this - he's a band director himself).

Monday I saw my bassist first thing in the morning. I had her come up to my office and told her I was paying something forward and gave her the bass. Since I had 2 sons I wasn't prepared for the crying and shrieking that ensued but after the initial shock I saw this child smile with the biggest grin possible and a thank you hug that hurt my ribs. I do know one thing - I was happier than she was.

So I think I paid homage to Eddie the Cool, and I know I touched a life that will definitely have music in it.

All is right in the world.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jake, that's an amazing story! Sounds to me like you are their Eddie the Cool!

Let's hope to see those kids on the stage one day.

My wife taught at EHS for a few years a long time ago. We were introduced by the Vice Principal who was there at the time - a very close friend of mine. It's a challenging environment.

Kudos to you!

Jake,

The world could use more people like you in it! Great story.

And I remember your Count Basie story with his repeated takes on a song intro due to mishaps (bass palyer knocks over music stand - "take 2") with each take getting worse and worse!

Awesome experience for both you and the girl. Your act of kindness and love transcended any classroom and taught her what is really essential in life, the power of human relationships.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Great story, made my day. I too was a Music then later Computer teacher in Woodbridge NJ. After 35 years it was time to go but I do miss the kids as you will. We both know how teachers have been bashed by our Governor but this shows what teachers are really all about.

My kids will remember me for the hugh jar of lollipops I kept in my room LOL!!!

I've already told my wife that when the time comes I want all my equipment to go to an Educational Institution.

That girl will never forget you and you will never forget that day. I'll bet it was the highlight of your career.

Congratulations on being a great teacher and human being. !!!

Great story, thanks for sharing it. You might have started the ball rolling for us to get another Tal Wilkenfeld or Meshell Ndegeocello. And youtube seem to feature a lot of good young female bass players have her search for Marta Altesa, Alissia Benveniste and Alana Alberg.

:where's that Wiping a Tear emoticon?:

:thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Beautiful, beautiful,beautiful. Thanks, for sharing.

Kawai KG-2C, Nord Stage 3 73, Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2x, Moog Voyager and Little Phatty Stage II, Slim Phatty, Roland Lucina AX-09, Hohner Piano Melodica, Spacestation V3, pair of QSC 8.2s.

You have changed that girl's outlook on life forever!

Great story & I was having flashbacks of watching Mr Holland's Opus...

Kurzweil Forte 7, PC3, PC4, Hydrasynth, Kronos 61, UltraNova, Rhodes, Clavinet D6, MiniMoog, GSI Burn, ELX112Ps, SpaceStation, Assorted Weapons

Archived