Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

This lady can play some boogie woogie

Rikismyname

My band wants to play a boogie woogie song in C called Rockin Pneumonia and the boogie woogie flu that I've never heard of so went to YouTube and in another link came across this .

She's awesome :)

Nord Stage 2 HA76 | Roland FA-06

Gretsch G5420s I H&K Statesman | Strymon Flint | Catalinbread SCP | Source Audio Nemesis.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know Donna Oxford, she played our local Blues festival here on LI...she went over very well..been around for awhile now.... check out Huey Piano Smith ...

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Rockin' Pneumonia is a rock 'n roll classic!! It has been covered by everyone from Allan Tuissant to ZZ Top.

Learn the song, and you become part of American history.

J.S. Bach Well Tempered Klavier

The collected works of Scott Joplin

Ray Charles Genius plus Soul

Charlie Parker Omnibook

Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life

Weather Report Mr. Gone

Wow!! She does it standing up - in high heels!!!

I love the cop lights gumballing in the background.

J.S. Bach Well Tempered Klavier

The collected works of Scott Joplin

Ray Charles Genius plus Soul

Charlie Parker Omnibook

Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life

Weather Report Mr. Gone

Rockin' Pneumonia is a rock 'n roll classic!! It has been covered by everyone from Allan Tuissant to ZZ Top.

Learn the song, and you become part of American history.

Never played boogie woogie before so this will be a challenge and the only we will do, yes it's the Huey piano one.

Nord Stage 2 HA76 | Roland FA-06

Gretsch G5420s I H&K Statesman | Strymon Flint | Catalinbread SCP | Source Audio Nemesis.

Not meaning to highjack a thread, but I've been looking to woodshed and work on the boogie woogie music genre during this period in my life (raising kids) as I don't have the time to play out with a band like I used to.

That said, I've been pretty inspired with Luca Sestak's music as of late.

http://www.lucasestak.com/en/

Dona is really good and quite the showman... almost a little bit too much for my taste. Yeah, I suppose I'm a little jealous of those skills! *eyeroll

MainStage; Hammond SK1-73; Roland XP-80, JV-90, JV-1080, JV-1010, AX-1; Korg microSAMPLER;

Boss DR-880; Beat Buddy; Neo Instruments Ventilator; TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay

Buy "Boogie-Woogie Hanon".

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Wow!! She does it standing up - in high heels!!!

I love the cop lights gumballing in the background.

And on a X stand! Looked a little shaky towards the end! :o:o

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

Interesting... on Amazon, it has really good reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/Boogie-Woogie-Hanon-Progressive-Exercises-Revised/dp/1780385234

On SheetMusicPlus, it has awful reviews:

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/boogie-woogie-hanon-progressive-exercises-sheet-music/3598148#reviews

I was actually leaning towards getting Brendan Kavanagh's (aka Dr. K) 'Badass Boogie Bundles' Volume 1 & 2. Although it's significantly more expensive, I like having the idea of what it'll teach via his YouTube videos. I'd favor having the actual music to sight-read as well as the exercises to develop at the same time. Hanon seems to be just exercises?

MainStage; Hammond SK1-73; Roland XP-80, JV-90, JV-1080, JV-1010, AX-1; Korg microSAMPLER;

Boss DR-880; Beat Buddy; Neo Instruments Ventilator; TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay

I'm reminded of Ginger Rogers, who said "I do everything Fred Astaire does, only backwards and in High Heels" :laugh:

She's in heels, standing and choreographing hip shakes to the beat accents :o

On SheetMusicPlus, it has awful reviews:

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/boogie-woogie-hanon-progressive-exercises-sheet-music/3598148#reviews

"Difficult but it doesn't sound good." Priceless!

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

I haven't looked at the book in 25-30 years, but my piano teacher highly recommended it. I enjoyed the exercises, although I never finished the book. Not even close. I keep meaning to go back it. I'm pretty sure I still have it. I found it really good for getting the feel of Boogie-Woogie under my fingers.

OK, I'm motivated to go bring back all those boogie woogie chops I had back in the day. I will say that there's an art to making them sound natural and relaxed vs. driven, but there's the trick, no?

Boogie woogie really moves me when it feels completely natural vs. rehearsed.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Boogie woogie really moves me when it feels completely natural vs. rehearsed.

There's a local guy who plays Boogie Woogie at our Blues Fest most years. I think you've just nailed what's wrong with him. I *LOVE* Boogie Woogie and can't stand that guy.

I'm reminded of Ginger Rogers, who said "I do everything Fred Astaire does, only backwards and in High Heels"

Actually, Ginger never said that- she had too much class to make a statement like that. It originated in a 1982 Frank and Ernest cartoon.

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

That video is a good demo on why to buy a full 88 instead of a 73 or 76.

True dat absolutely! Nothing ruins the moment worse than running out of keys at either end.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Boogie woogie was the one time my piano teacher didn't remind me to practice in all keys! :laugh:

That actually made me happy. Boogie woogie is tough enough in C. I can't imagine some of those crazy patterns and licks in other keys.

Dona puts on a good show!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Archived