Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Another one gone....Greg Lake dies at 69 of Cancer

Bill W

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just heard the sad news on my drive in to work. Thank you for your great talent, inspiration, thoughtfulness, and your kind, affable soul, Mr. Lake. As you would sing, "Death is life."

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Damn indeed. ELP was my first real concert, their first tour in the early 70's. I was a wide-eyed high school kid in awe of the performance in front of me!
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

I'm so glad I flew to London in 2010 to my first ever ELP show which turned out to be their last.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

Another great gone - ELP were up there with the very best of prog.

And there will be no other keyboard player like Emerson.

Two in one year :cry:

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

The first time I saw and heard Greg was at this concert below... in November of 1969 at the West Palm Beach Pop Festival, King Crimson played two out of the three days. This performance changed my musical life! We will miss your amazing talent, Greg.

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/hammonddave/king-crimson_wpb_zps7cpktaxw.jpg

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

From a couple of weeks after I saw them... same tour. And the very night he met with Keith Emerson about forming ELP...

[video:youtube]

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I always loved his voice. So British and so intimate. I've been listening to 'From The Beginning' and 'Still You Turn Me On'.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I just found out and couldn't think of a more appropriate place to share my grief than this forum.

2016 is a year full of tears for me. Another ocean shed for the frontman and bassist for what was to me, the most influential musical group of all.

I owe so much to Emerson, Lake and Palmer in as much as how they shaped my approach to composition.

It seems that so many torches are going dim this year, I just hope with all the feverishness that I can muster that Gregory Stuart Lake is the last great hero to exit the stage before we ring in a hopefully more joyous 2017.

Carl

What a week of grief. We're still reeling from the Oakland fire (many of us knew people who perished).

Greg Lake was one of about a half dozen or so bassists that are the reason I picked that instrument as my main axe after I left the classical world behind.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I skipped ELP in favour of Yes back in the mid-70's, much to my regret (mostly because Yes played at the echoic Boston Garden sports arena, and pretty much only played Topographic Oceans), but made up for it with the Black Moon tour in the 90's.

Although he had put on a lot of weight and wasn't quite as energetic, Lake's voice was still full of passion, and his bass playing was tight beyond compare. That concert remains one of the highlights of my life.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I got to see the "Brain Salad Surgery" tour and remember being mightily impressed with Greg. I knew him from King Crimson, so it was a pleasure to hear him live, but imagine the huge balls it took to stand up there next to Keith and Carl! He was even more of a bedrock-bassist because of the trio setting. Keith always seemed to stay out of Greg's range in the right places. Sure, the YouTube videos can sound a bit quaint, decades later, but never forget that they pulled that off live, year after year. It was like a smokin' New Orleans house band that was a living cutting contest. The nearest thing to a sequencer to be had was that venerable old Moog module. So any time I get a bass track in the pocket, I owe part of it to hearing Greg. :cheers:

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

Awesome track posting Mr. Bryce.

Instead of playing my usual jazz sampler for my junior high jazz band this morning, I played "Lucky Man". ELP came to Edmonton only once (1990s). Today, for the second time this year, I'm wearing the t-shirt that I bought that night.

Archived