Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Another one gone....Greg Lake dies at 69 of Cancer

Bill W

Another huge talent gone. Such sad news. His inimitiable talent and music will live on. Hope he's jamming with Keith and writing another chapter to Brain Salad Surgery!

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And this, my friends... is the genius of ELP. [video:youtube]

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I saw ELP in Maryland on the Black Moon tour. As a keyboardist, I went in to see Emerson (and I was not disappointed); but it was Lake's songs that got people to just shut up and listen. He owned the audience that night. My go-to bass patches are always modeled on Lake's live concert sound.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

I saw ELP on their first American tour in a 3000 seat opera house.

They played all of the first album and Tarkus.

Mind completely blown. I too was a King Crimson fan and loved his voice and bass playing.

RIP Greg.

I was fortunate to see that tour as well. I remember it very well... I especially remember what happened after that show...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Late at night thinking about Keith and Greg. What great losses we have suffered this year. Unimaginable.

Keith and Greg brought such joy and inspiration to millions of fans. I read that Keith committed suicide because he did not want to disappoint his fans, I wish I could have met him to tell him how much of an inspiration he was to me, and how he brought so much joy through his music. I am sure that everyone on this board feels the same.

It just makes me so sad.

I don't think I truly appreciated Greg until hearing him with Emerson on their duo tour. His voice was unbelievably rich and deep. You can't eq frequencies that aren't there--the mic and p.a. did their thing but the vocal tone was all him. Add to that his rock solid time and tone on the bass...and that they were pulling this off as a duo...I was like, ok, I get it. Simply brilliant.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

I don't think I truly appreciated Greg until hearing him with Emerson on their duo tour. His voice was unbelievably rich and deep.

I came away from that show with the same observation. I've seen ELP a half-dozen times, but never heard Greg's voice nearly that rich and strong. Filled the entire theatre.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I don't think I truly appreciated Greg until hearing him with Emerson on their duo tour. His voice was unbelievably rich and deep.

I came away from that show with the same observation. I've seen ELP a half-dozen times, but never heard Greg's voice nearly that rich and strong. Filled the entire theatre.

When ELP reunited in 1992, Keith marveled at how Greg's voice had gotten better. Keith and Carl had worked hard to improve their playing, yet Greg had done nothing - his voice had developed on its own.

Agreed, he was in fine form on that tour. I loved his voice and playing since I discovered ELP in the 70s and then went back to hear his work with King Crimson. I am very saddened.

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

• 3 weeks later...

Found this very rare clip of King Crimson MKII poorly lip syncing Cat Food. A very young Greg Lake with MKI members Michael Giles on drums and Robert Fripp on guitar.

[video:youtube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLQdef-pVYdoNizoCLZdIpbNlqTdbQcniY&v=cmRbSFvh_90

Archived