Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Is anyone surpised? -Dylan's non-response...

miden

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"the answer my friend is blowing in the wind" what a waste of a nobelprize, Would haver been better to give it to someone who needs recognition rather than a self pretentious smuck as Dylan. Discussion around his nobelprize has taken far to much space. Sad that people don't discuss a prize given to something that actually means something - like the medicine prize rewarding Autophagy,

Culture means something. I have no idea why Dylan should have received this in 2016. Has he done anything relative to literature recently? If this is for 40-50 years old work then Hell give it posthumously to Charles Dickens.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Maybe he's embarrassed but worried that it'd be more rude to turn it down. Just trying to give him the benefit of the doubt.

In our own magazine didn't Geddy Lee say he was embarrassed every time he got nominated for best rock keyboard player?

Didn't Sting say he was embarrassed when The Dream Of The Blue Turtles got nominated in the Jazz category?

It's not like BD put himself forward for the award.

TBH on this side of the pond we're still struggling with the one Obama got and the concept of Wonderwoman as a UN Ambassador.

Dylan is a cultural icon - has been for decades - and while I appreciate that he has a "character" voice rather than a traditional singing ability - he has written some great songs.

Yes it's an odd choice but it's not his fault.

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

Maybe he's embarrassed but worried that it'd be more rude to turn it down. Just trying to give him the benefit of the doubt.

In our own magazine didn't Geddy Lee say he was embarrassed every time he got nominated for best rock keyboard player?

Didn't Sting say he was embarrassed when The Dream Of The Blue Turtles got nominated in the Jazz category?

It's not like BD put himself forward for the award.

TBH on this side of the pond we're still struggling with the one Obama got and the concept of Wonderwoman as a UN Ambassador.

Dylan is a cultural icon - has been for decades - and while I appreciate that he has a "character" voice rather than a traditional singing ability - he has written some great songs.

Yes it's an odd choice but it's not his fault.

Plus there must be considerable pressure associated with being a decades-long cultural icon whose work has influenced generations of people (and which perhaps has been interpreted by them as being more profound than it actually was), to come up with an acceptance stance which holds to the same standard.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Personally, I'm glad to see an expansion of the category to allow for great writing that just happens to take place in the musical domain. Paul Simon's been overdue for one as well. Springsteen too.

In any sane world, Rakim or Eminem would get one before Dylan or any of the others. But the Academy isn't there yet...

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Why give any artist a Nobel Prize? Aren't there already too many awards being handed out for music? If anything it cheapens the awards they hand out for humanities and scientific breakthrough.

This isn't an award for music There is a prize for Literature because Alfred Nobel specified that there is should be a prize for Literature. Presumably, the committee is judging Dylan's work as literature. But you are free to argue that it shouldn't be.

IMO, it is a mistake to judge lyrics by standards of poetry. Different beasts. But I would argue that Dylan is hugely important as standard bearer for lyrics. For example, Joni Mitchell might never have been a major artist without Dylan. She says herself that she was trying to marry the lyrical sensibility of Dylan with the melodies of show tunes. He made pop lyric writing a serious art form (unfortunately mostly ignored by most pop artists with the notable exception of hip/hop...and yes, I'm using "pop" in a very broad sense here).

Having said all that, I don't much care whether they give it to Dylan or not.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

"the answer my friend is blowing in the wind" what a waste of a nobelprize, Would haver been better to give it to someone who needs recognition rather than a self pretentious smuck as Dylan.

I'm pretty sure if you perused the list of 115 prior winners of the Nobel Literature winners, you would find a lot of pretension...and quite a few schmucks.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

You're of course right with respect to schmucks. The sad thing is that people don't discuss for example autophagy and implications on for example finding new cancer treatments, that is by far more important than discussing mr Bob Dylans lack of answer to the Nobel commite. Science is king!

"the answer my friend is blowing in the wind" what a waste of a nobelprize, Would haver been better to give it to someone who needs recognition rather than a self pretentious smuck as Dylan.

I'm pretty sure if you perused the list of 115 prior winners of the Nobel Literature winners, you would find a lot of pretension...and quite a few schmucks.

I think Pink Floyd lyrics had more literary value and were more "poetic", if thats what we're going for here.

I know this because my 7th grade english teacher gave us Floyd lyrics as a poetry assignment. i think she maybe dropped acid ...

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Yep, so thrilled and honoured, it took him two weeks to say so ;)

Must be some cross-linked record release promo going on or something :poke:

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

In a recent interview, Joan Baez said about Dylan, "I think his manners suck, and his words deserve the Nobel Prize". She should know Dylan - he's the person referred to in her song "Diamonds & Rust".

Yamaha: Motif XF6 and XS6, A3000V2, A4000, YS200 | Korg: T3EX, 05R/W | Fender Chroma Polaris | Roland U-220 | Etc.

Archived