Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Budos Band "keyboard player" trashes rented Vox Continental

Chris Link

There is no excuse for professional musicians to flaunt such behavior in front of an audience, especially when flaunting binge drinking and basic sloppy drunk and unprofessional behavior.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think he's saying the backline provider has taken the high road, or at the very least protected himself from scrutiny and possible reverse legal attack for bad mouthing the band professionally? Who knows. But apparently he wants their business again and maybe next time around be can trust they won't trash his stuff. I'm sure the band has agreed to pay for the damage, was already in their contract I would hope.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Well they look like a bunch of complete tossers. Let's hope what goes round comes round....

I do not know what a tosser is but i know it's not good.

I checked out some videos of the Budos Band and they have a tight and unique sound but i don't get trashing equipment. I assume tossers is losers.

It reminds me of the respect certain self absorbed olympic swimmers displayed recently in Brazil. Another display of selfish disrespect from a spoiled jerk.

NS3C, Hammond XK5, Yamaha S7X, Sequential Prophet 6, Yamaha YC73, Roland Jupiter X

I think he's saying the backline provider has taken the high road, or at the very least protected himself from scrutiny and possible reverse legal attack for bad mouthing the band professionally? Who knows. But apparently he wants their business again and maybe next time around be can trust they won't trash his stuff. I'm sure the band has agreed to pay for the damage, was already in their contract I would hope.

The "backline provider" was the individual Justin Smith who I talked about in my post. He quite possibly did this gratis, without contract because he knows some of the people in the band and I believe his band played prior on that date. Whether Budos actually pays up is another story. Even with contracts you're talking possible legal action to get any money out of these guys.

Busch.

My esteem for Justin Smith has only increased. My estimation of Mike Dellar and the Budos remains unchanged.

One trusts that life is a long time, and will go easier for someone who is kind, gracious and chooses the high road.

Dellar and the Budos? May they get everything they deserve.

Yes, I was talking about Justin taking the high road and being a class act. He seems like a good guy.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Funny in a sad way: Many of their fans are calling those of us who complained about the band's actions "pussies," "momma's boys," and "hippies," who are just jealous and don't understand showmanship. Wow.

:wacko:

Best quote that someone posted about this band a bit ago on their FB page:

"A drug is not bad. A drug is a chemical compound. The problem comes in when people who take drugs treat them like a license to behave like an asshole. ― Frank Zappa, The Real Frank Zappa Book

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80

Don't mess their musicianship and their behaviour. It's a childish mistake

Just remember "Who" and the broken guitars. Emerson was f**ng up several hammond organs. Tbis does not make him a bad guy

You don't have to be a polite guy or even a good guy, to have a good band. Budos Band is a very good band, with high musicianship and very nice discography. If the keyboard guy's an a**, this is another story...

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

synonym for wankers, mate.

He's gonna have a hard time wanking it with those tight thong panties he's wearing.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Craig Jewell from the Facebook comments for the band: "I'm the talent buyer of the festival where this happened and at a venue where they played before. That was hands down the worst performance by any band I have ever seen in my life on all levels. Completely out of tune, no one knowing where they were at, and they were constantly screaming into the mics at a piercing level. Also, to make it absolutely clear, destroying that keyboard was 100% intentional. Once Mike got off stage, he was asked by our staff, "why did you destroy that keyboard?" Mike replied, "that's what I fucking do, fuck off." Fuck him, fuck that band, do not book them or support them."

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

Don't mess their musicianship and their behaviour. It's a childish mistake

Just remember "Who" and the broken guitars. Emerson was f**ng up several hammond organs. Tbis does not make him a bad guy

You don't have to be a polite guy or even a good guy, to have a good band. Budos Band is a very good band, with high musicianship and very nice discography. If the keyboard guy's an a**, this is another story...

My recollection is Townsend trashed his own guitars and amps and the cost of replacements near!y put the band out of business.

If the Badass Band are paying for repairs to the Vox then I guess management will have a reality check with them about the cost of trashing hired equipment.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Yes, other musicians have destroyed instruments, set them on fire, and otherwise abused them. If this Vox belonged to the douchebag in question, we'd all have a collective *gasp!* and say what a waste of a great vintage instrument it was.

The douchebaggery comes in when we find that this is a borrowed instrument and that the guy did it on purpose. "That's what I do, man!"

I guess I missed that day in performance class when they covered "destroying your instrument for Art." Also, those other (real) musicians destroyed their instruments at the END of the show, not in lieu of actually playing them.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

Also, those other (real) musicians destroyed their instruments at the END of the show, not in lieu of actually playing them.

I do not believe that there is much "playing" of instruments in that band. Sounds more like a Cluster F**k to me.

Craig Jewell from the Facebook comments for the band: " I'm the talent buyer of the festival where this happened and at a venue where they played before. ... to make it absolutely clear, destroying that keyboard was 100% intentional. Once Mike got off stage, he was asked by our staff, "why did you destroy that keyboard?" Mike replied, "that's what I fucking do, fuck off."

I can hardly believe that there are defenders of this extreme jerk, including some people in this thread who want to excuse it as a "mistake." This guy is very clearly a total asshole. He should be punished severely so that he never thinks of doing anything like this ever again. With his own gear, fine. I don't care. But with borrowed rare and vintage gear? He should experience some negative consequences. If he doesn't, he will surely do it again. See the quote above. He does not give a shit. He should made to give one.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Funny in a sad way: Many of their fans are calling those of us who complained about the band's actions "pussies," "momma's boys," and "hippies," who are just jealous and don't understand showmanship. Wow.

:wacko:

Indeed, I saw a couple of guys aw on Facebook calling Justin names because he was providing his '67 Vox. They called HIM stupid and what not. Weird people.....

Rudy

Word has it that their label (Daptone Records, Neal Sugarman) and their agency (Monterey International) are not happy.

At first it was just a little negative press, which is still press. However, many promoters have now chimed in saying they will never book these guys now that the rumored stories of their antics at shows (not just this incident) have been brought to light with video proof.

oops.

From the artists page on Monterey International :

".....They still rehearse religiously almost every week, even if some of those rehearsals encompass just as much drinking, socializing, and listening to music as actual practice.

That camaraderie doesn't evaporate when they put their instruments down. On tour, they hit a brewery or pub for lunch en masse before sound check whenever possible, and like to stir up trouble. There are dust-ups and reconciliations....."

:rolleyes:

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80

I checked out Budos on Facebook. There were comments on the bass player and what a f'n badass he is because he isn't looking at his fingers. He plays the same three notes repeatedly for 3:45 minutes of the 3:53 minute song Black Venom. I don't know if all of their songs are like this. One song was all I could handle.

As noted on the other thread they have offered to pay for the damage. Didn't take long for management to have that chat. Money talks when you are sober.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Archived