Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Budos Band "keyboard player" trashes rented Vox Continental

Chris Link

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10100577739038544&id=41304254

"Good luck trying to find backline in the future Budos Band/Mike Deller. Yes that is my 1967 Vox continental. Yes they/he messed up two of the voice cards."

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I shared this on my FaceBook feed and hope the word gets out about Mike Deller and the rest of these d*bags.

I don't know Justin Smith personally, but he's a friend of friends and by their accounts he's a stand up guy. Crappy to have this happen when you've been gracious enough to provide backline with your own gear.

If you read some of the comments, a lot of posters are saying what holier-than-thou douchebags these guys are. They apparently treat other bands like crap in person.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

They've posted a half ass apology saying it is the side effect of their energetic shows. It was an accident and their fans expect it.

Bullshit. The video clearly shows it was no accident. That and pics from other shows where he's standing on rented backline Hammonds, etc..

I did see their label, Daptone, had a bunch of posts from disgruntled people removed shortly before the "apology" from the Budos.

The Budos Band posted the pic of this Deller dickhead destroying

the board on their Twitter as a badge of honor.

They're not sorry. They just see the negative press they're getting on every social media front.

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80

These guys need Hurra Torpedo's back line!

And speaking of back line, the ass on Hurra Tornado's sledge hammer player looks suspicially like the ass on the drunk who destroys that continental... Only proving that guys who wear their pants so low that their farts are unencumbered need to be sterilized so that there is no possibility of procreation.

[video:youtube]

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Dave, they tweeted the scene,

Photo from the tweet.

And hashtagged it,

"May the week ahead be filled with #budosmayhem #mandown #lightibirius" - whatever that last one means.

The backline at their upcoming venues better make sure they have they're paperwork in order. Or reserve the right to pull the keys. Make him have to buy it and haul it.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

"Side effect of their energetic show?" No.... more like a side affect of their drunk stupidity.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Let's not forget how much women are attracted to this type of behavior.

A friend of mine rented his Continental to ? and the Mysterians several years ago. They treated it with respect.
C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

I don't understand any of this. I mean, getting wasted and trashing equipment has been a rock tradition for over 50 years, but disrespecting and willfully damaging rare vintage musical instruments... well I don't get it.

If the guy requested a Vox Continental for the night, he must have some appreciation of the keyboard's sound and place in history. If smashing gear is his thing, why wouldn't he smash up a contemporary and readily replaceable piece instead?

Has this keyboard player said anything about his actions afterwards?

I am a friend of Justin's. He's quite remarkable, though in his early 30s he has this incredible collection of vintage keyboards that he's accumulated and maintains. He's an excellent player and the funk/horn band he's with plays all over in good size clubs. When I first met him he had just gotten back from a tour through Colorado, California, etc. He's a player!

He's not into new gear just the vintage stuff with a few exceptions (I think he owns a Mojo and a few newer Dave Smith/Moog stuff). He didn't know anything about the Kronos, for example. When I was at his place his collection included:

(3) B3s/Leslie, (4) clavinets (including a C), a Hohner Duo. several Rhodes, Wurly 200a, Gibson 201 organ with matching amp, an ARP Quadra, ARP 4 Voice Piano, Jen String Machine, Moog Voyager, Prophet 5, Memorymoog, CS50 or 60, Pianet T, numerous vintage FX pedals and probably others I'm forgetting and of course the now infamous Vox Continental.

I ended up sampling a few of the simpler things at his place, like the string machine and ARP 4 Voice, etc. but took his Clavinet C home for a more complete sampling.

He also became close with Bernie Worrell (both lived in Bellingham) over the last year or so, helping him out, jamming with him and organizing benefits.

He's 6' 3" or 4" and very athletic. He could have no doubt knocked this buffoon into next week, but that's not Justin.

Drunk smashing gear. Thong. That's really taking live entertainment to the next level. F*#k em.

Busch.

Lawsuit time. Or Cousin Vinnie time. Or both.

Those bozos really need a course in respect. People like that make one wish that the Stocks were still in use in the US.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Having Vinny bust up his right hand is likely more than enough. I doubt this guy can play with both hands.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

Wow... I just listened to several of their songs on their website. A mix of Tower of Power and Beavis and Butthead.

So, if all the fingers on that jerk's right hand got busted, that would also be a side effect of their energetic show. Good to know. No more Daptone music for me. Hope they get their collective a$$ sued off.

Kawai KG-2C, Nord Stage 3 73, Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2x, Moog Voyager and Little Phatty Stage II, Slim Phatty, Roland Lucina AX-09, Hohner Piano Melodica, Spacestation V3, pair of QSC 8.2s.

I am a friend of Justin's.
I friended him on FB yesterday, and he appears to be a class act. He posted this publicly on his FB, sharing the "apology" from Budos Band.

I just have to say a couple of things about the video I posted. First off The Vox continental CAN and WILL be fixed. Nothing is going to be permanently damaged. Also, I never intended this video to go viral the way it did. I've known Mike and a few of the other Budos for a long time and I can honestly say that they are all amazing people and have all personally crafted the music that I hold very close to my soul. Don't believe me go listen to their studio albums, they are incredible! From what I understand this has happened in the past and hopefully this will be the last you hear of this. I would ask that you respect Mike and the Budos band and understand that everything is alright and I can say that I learned something and I know they did too.

Whether you agree with him or not, you have to agree he takes the high road. :thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Archived