Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gregg Allman

Pigmeat

I often hear from other keyboard players that 'Gregg Allman is the best Hammond organ player'. I think that I've listened to most of his work over the years, and I don't get it. He is one of my favorite singers, no question about that, and I love the music of Allman Brothers (I've even been in a tribute band) but I still haven't heard anything on the organ that blows me away. Can someone point me in the direction of some outstanding organ playing of his?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
His playing is relaxed and tasteful. I wouldn't call him a chops monster. "Best" means exactly nothing IMO. Try substituting "my favorite", "great at those musical attributes I value the most", etc.

What Moe said.

He is the best organ player possible for the music he chooses to play. Feel, texture, taste. Class.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

I'm a big ABB fan and love that he still plays with the real deal rather than a clone. His use of the Hammond, i.e. using the various controls (C/V, percussion, drawbars and leslie speed switching), is pretty cool. His chops aren't the greatest though. It is especially evident when he moves occasionally to the digital piano. Now Chuck Leavell? That's a different story.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I would quit piano and organ tomorrow if it meant I could sing like that.
Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

I think that's why I put a ? after his name in my list on the other thread. (That might be what caused you to start this thread?) I'm a big fan, but there aren't licks to steal. It's more about style and feel I guess as well as killer tunes.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I'm a big ABB fan and love that he still plays with the real deal rather than a clone. His use of the Hammond, i.e. using the various controls (C/V, percussion, drawbars and leslie speed switching), is pretty cool. His chops aren't the greatest though. It is especially evident when he moves occasionally to the digital piano. Now Chuck Leavell? That's a different story.

What about the piano solo in "Jessica"? Takes some technical facility to pull that off!

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

That wasn't Gregg. It's Chuck Leavell.

That would explain it, hah! Did Gregg ever play it live?

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

That wasn't Gregg. It's Chuck Leavell.

That would explain it, hah! Did Gregg ever play it live?

I might be wrong, but I would doubt it.....some years ago I took the family to Bonaroo The ABB was headlining one of the nights. Good show, and for some reason they chose "Layla" as an encore. Strange choice, I thought. when they hit the piano part at the end of the tune, well, let's just say I LOVE Greg's B3 work and leave it there......

Still plays real B's because he can. He doesn't have to move or service them, just show up and preform. When I was working with a Hammond Tech in NJ we were contacted by someone from the ABB wanting info on one of our B's for sale. Serial #'s, condition , etc. Never worked out but from what I gathered they had equipment stashed all over the US for their tours.

Gregg lives in Savannah which is close to me so I'm hoping to catch a local show with his new band someday.

I agree with the above, he does what fits the music and concentrates on his singing.

There is never anything flashy from Gregg...its just perfect for the band... And for the music.

My favorite type of Hammond player.

[video:youtube]

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I cannot tell you how many times i saw The Allman Brothers Band in the early 70's. My band covered most of their songs from the first two albums plus Live at the Fillmore. You dont have to be a great organ player to play his parts, but you do learn alot about voicings and comping. And how to support a band with your playing.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I'm a big fan of Gregg Allan's B3 playing, but I have to agree with all of the above comments. He is a great example of staying out of the way. But when he does take a solo, he is more than competent, but not flashy. I'd echo Mate's comment, "relaxed and tasteful." Pretty good for a guitar player! (his first instrument)

I've never seen how he learned to play. The story centers around a B3 in a friend's house... was he house sitting? Can't remember. The memory is too fuzzy. Anyway, I've never heard if someone showed him how to play.

David

My first concert was the ABB in 1974. I've seen them several times since. Played a couple of their tunes on a gig yesterday. To me, Gregg is an incredible artist. I also love his solo stuff which allows him to stretch beyond the confines of the ABB great legacy. His organ playing is never flashy but is always just what the music needs. His sound is awesome and his concept of how to compliment the ensemble is great. As an instrumentalist I think of him as more of a great arranger/composer than as an organ soloist.

I saw the interview Gregg did with Dan Rather on AXS TV. He talked about his father that was murdered when he was young and his Mother took care of Gregg and Duane. AAB was one of my favorites from the 70's. I always thought of Gregg's playing = less is more. Just the right parts for the song.

When i used to see these guys back in the early 70's this is what they would start they concerts off with. In fact, this medley is the first song I ever heard the Allmans perform. I was hooked!

Dave so refreshing to hear this style of music. Brings back memories and the sound is so pure and real without all the effects of today's music. Gregg and Duane did that riff together and sounded so sweet. Alot of the old AAB Duane and Gregg switched lead parts alot.

• 2 weeks later...
Bummer. He's been struggling on and off with Hep C and it's related issues (I think) for years now. Best wishes to him.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

His ears and the way he blended drawbars and Leslie without stomping on other players was what made him so appreciated.

Hope he continues to gig.

Hearing him with Oteal was a big change and really incredible stuff.

But love the old stuff still.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Archived