Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bottom feeder songs that you refuse to play- What's yours?

Rustar

Yup there are some I might not be too excited or happy about playing but I certainly won't refuse! That's not my job. Just happy to have a gig and an audience and if they're dancing, happy and having fun, so am I. The most predictable tried-and-true evergreen numbers tend to be the biggest crowd pleasers, singalongs and dance floor fillers, so the best thing to do is have fun with it or at least faking it. That said if I could get through the rest of my gigging career without doing "Brown Eyed Girl" or "Sweet Caroline" again, you wouldn't hear me complain! "Don't Stop Believin'" just makes me laugh with how excited people seem to get when you start it - almost like they're surprised - momentarily forgetting in their drunken state that ever bar band they've ever seen has also played it to end a set.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree that there are tunes I'm tired of playing - Shotgun (on sax), Mustang Sally, Misty, etc.

However, about 25 years ago I was playing jazz piano in a little restaurant. One of the most tired, overplayed jazz tunes (after "Misty") is "Take the 'A' Train." Sure enough, a patron requests "A Train."

I played it. I played the Hell out of it. He tipped me $20, which was a lot of money to a guy trying to support a young wife and child. Moral of the story: I'm an entertainer. I get paid to entertain people. I'm not "too good" to play any tune.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

Been decades, but back in my day it was "Color My World" and "Feelings" :P

I framed a cartoon from The New Yorker that had a piano lounge player with a sign by the tip jar that read "Requests: $5.00. 'Feelings': $50.00"

I had that one saved too. But my recollection is that it was 'Feelings': $500.000

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Gigging Economics 101: 1 in 30 patrons in any live music audience are your discriminating musician buddies. The other 29 are the ones paying your gig money. You don't make $$ or get asked back to please your musician buddies.

If the other 29 people want to hear SHA, Mustang Sally, Old Time R&R, Mony Mony, et al... I'll play it. Like it or not, the corny songs win the paycheck.

Do you have a song that you don't like to play?

Fish Heads, Chopsticks

I used to have a similar list:

Mustang Sally

Play that funky music

Shotgun

Jump

etc.

Girl from Ipanema

A Train

Autumn Leaves

etc.

And I was bitching about out it (the jazz side) one lesson to my teacher. His response was, "There are no corny tunes. They're standards for a reason. If you can't say something hip with the tune, it's cause of you, not the tune."

So that conversation changed my attitude. In the covers bands I try to do something funkier or hipper within the tune. I find it a challenge and a struggle. I don't play too much in bands that have to have it "like the record" so that helps. Not sure if that's everyone's experience though.

Yes, some tunes are harder than others to try and keep mentally fresh. But when I see a few folks on the dance floor who are just loving an old, tired tune, that helps me a lot in my head and spirit to give a little more energy.

Tim

I used to have to play - and sing - Brown Eyed Girl and Margaritaville in the same set. Hated, loathed, and despised each of them equally, but the crowd loved both, danced to them and typically requested a repeat of one or both. So, suck it up and soldier on. Doesn't mean you have to like it.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

As the OP, let me clarify what I meant by "refuse" was not to refuse a request from the audience, but to resist learning the song in the first place because I think it blows musical chunks, and that the need for a funk tune can be met with a better song (meaning a song I like) that is similar to it in style and effect. I respect the crowd and fully realize that I am there to please them.

Yamaha P-515, Hammond SK1, Casio PX5s, Motif ES rack, Kawai MP5, Kawai ESS110, Yamaha S03, iPad, and a bunch of stuff in the closet.

I used to have a similar list:

Mustang Sally

Play that funky music

Shotgun

Jump

etc.

Girl from Ipanema

A Train

Autumn Leaves

etc.

And I was bitching about out it (the jazz side) one lesson to my teacher. His response was, "There are no corny tunes. They're standards for a reason. If you can't say something hip with the tune, it's cause of you, not the tune."

So that conversation changed my attitude. In the covers bands I try to do something funkier or hipper within the tune. I find it a challenge and a struggle. I don't play too much in bands that have to have it "like the record" so that helps. Not sure if that's everyone's experience though.

Yes, some tunes are harder than others to try and keep mentally fresh. But when I see a few folks on the dance floor who are just loving an old, tired tune, that helps me a lot in my head and spirit to give a little more energy.

Tim

I fully concur and agree.

Yamaha P-515, Hammond SK1, Casio PX5s, Motif ES rack, Kawai MP5, Kawai ESS110, Yamaha S03, iPad, and a bunch of stuff in the closet.

If you're going to refuse to play a song the crowd you're playing for wants to hear you don't belong on the gig, real simple.

Yes, but also, don't confuse the vocal minority (one drunk shouting) for the desire of the crowd. I see no need to turn the set list over to the drunk that shouts the loudest.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

This is all 40 year old music. If a band was playing 40 year old tunes in the 80s or 90s they would have been laughed at LOL.

If you do Jazz gigs, your playing songs from the 20's.

You are both correct.

40 year old Classic Rock is NOW seen and understood (as opposed to the 80s and 90s that had their own "defendable" styles) as REPERTORY material, just like the old Jazz. Lots of people still like it, and I know a lot of young people who prefer it over today's stuff.

Not all things in the universe are equal, spread out over time. Some time periods in music are just, well... "when the stars aligned just right..."

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

I just figured bands are too lazy to learn new songs. :D

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

For moral reasons: Cocaine, Horizontal Bop, and more recently "My Church." Most bands I have played with refuse "Wipe Out." I would never play "The Rodeo song" in public, and I recently vetoed "Up Against the Wall (Redneck Mother)" when it was suggested for a local outdoor mini-festival, on the grounds that the foul language conflicts with my day job in a public school system.

I must admit I enjoy playing Margaritaville and Rocky Top. I like Brown-Eyed Girl at a slightly relaxed tempo (around 120 BPM), but one of my bandmates is quite resistant to it. He also hates the old folk song "The Riddle", as it reminds him of a scene in Animal House.

Oh, and one that I've always hated for artistic reasons: "96 Tears".

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Just before we play Brown-Eyed Girl, Play That Funky Music, Mustang Sally, etc., our guitar player sometimes says, "Okay it's time to pay the bills!"

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Oh, and one that I've always hated for artistic reasons: "96 Tears".
I've never heard a band play that. I think it would be fun to do.

That song in 50 years old. The only people who would know it are geezers like me.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Just before we play Brown-Eyed Girl, Play That Funky Music, Mustang Sally, etc., our guitar player sometimes says, "Okay it's time to pay the bills!"

This made my night.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Hah, I've found some solace in this thread with the Brown Eyed Girl and Mustang Sally mentions but when Girl from Ipanema came up it got me thinking, perhaps another thread is due; 'Songs you like to play that the crowd refuse to listen to'!!

Girl from Ipanema is a classic case there for me. It was well into my conscious as an elevator music source of ridicule years before I started playing the keyboards and even though I'd consider myself somewhat precious about not playing obvious/overdone tunes, I would perk up when that got called but also feel a little ready for some groans. Must be the progression that I enjoyed. In a similar vein although perhaps more due to the way we played it than the tune itself was I'll Remember April. People just seemed to switch off when we played that one. Very likely due to my dodgy intro though !

Kayvon,

People, that means boomers too, have an aversion to older tunes like I'll Remember April...like some sort of a built in governor that makes them turn off to what they consider old timee tunes....

That was mentioned to me when I started learning those older tunes as a basis for jazz piano studies... after I got into the old tunes I loved them and I already had heard many of them as a kid through my parents generation...so I had a bit of a head start... I'll be 62 in August.

Funny how some of the really good music gets rejected based on style and generational prejudice - it that seems to work both ways . . old to young and young to old.. but as we advance as musicians that stuff doesn't apply to musicians as much except in consideration as to what will 'go over' . . . .

chances are if people in the audience could play or sing with the tune...they may actually dig it!

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

I used to feel the same way about Mustang Sally, but then I started having fun with the song, things like clavinet with wah pedal, or playing the organ like timbales with occasional chords to give the harmony. I realized that the simplicity gives you a lot of room to maneuver.

There's nothing I won't play, but since I'm the bandleader, I mostly get to pick the tunes. There is no Skynrd on our list, or other tired old classics. However, Funky Music gets a workout because as has been mentioned, the dance floor gets packed. Plus we extend out the end and I get to do a nice organ solo. Mustang Sally is on the list but it's more of a request tune, not something we play very often, but again, the people like it.

I can get my musical satisfaction in the Floyd band, or in the hippy band where there are extended solos and cool grooves that segue between songs. The party band's goal is to make people happy, and if that means playing Mony Mony, Funky Music, Don't Stop Believin', then thats what we do.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I've played a lot in rural lounges.

These were standard fare in the late '60's early 70's; I despised them each:

Proud Mary

For Your Love

For the Good Times

Later-the late '70's/early '80's, I endured

Free Bird

Anything by Bob Seger

I ended my performance days in the mid-80's...

Agree with never refusing to play something but my all time two crap fests are:

Feelings and the Kristofferson version of Bobby Mcgee. There was always an acoustic guitarist with a harp stand around his neck...

Honorable mention was all the 50's revival shows going on. Now they can be fun (I did a sock hop costume party a few years ago) but at the time I truly hated that stuff. Johnny B Goode really stands out because Every. Single. Bad. Guitarist in the whole damn world did it.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

I put myself through college playing a 50's Rock 'n' Roll revial show. I wish the gold lamé jacket still fit.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Archived