Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bottom feeder songs that you refuse to play- What's yours?

Rustar

Mine is "Play That Funky Music". It's a gimmick song that makes me gag.

And please, don't anyone be offended - tastes vary.

Yamaha P-515, Hammond SK1, Casio PX5s, Motif ES rack, Kawai MP5, Kawai ESS110, Yamaha S03, iPad, and a bunch of stuff in the closet.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anything that goes from C7 to F7 over and over and over again.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Would you make an exception for "Feelin' Allright"?

Yamaha P-515, Hammond SK1, Casio PX5s, Motif ES rack, Kawai MP5, Kawai ESS110, Yamaha S03, iPad, and a bunch of stuff in the closet.

Free Bird. Sorry Skynrd fans. I don't dislike southern rock - I enjoy just about all styles of music. I'll play Allmans till the cows come home. I'll even play Gimme Three Steps. But if permitted, I'll pass on Free Bird.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I've played with many a muso that hated PTFM (I happen to love it), but in every band I've played that tune, the dance floor packs at the second that guitar lick starts the song.

My guess is most-if not all- of the songs that will show up on this list are crowd pleasers.....

I've played with many a muso that hated PTFM (I happen to love it), but in every band I've played that tune, the dance floor packs at the second that guitar lick starts the song.

My guess is most-if not all- of the songs that will show up on this list are crowd pleasers.....

That is true, it is a crowd pleaser.

Funky Music is pretty bad; I don't mind Freebird at all, and I can't, for the life of me, ever get a straight answer as to why people, who otherwise love Southern Rock, are so anti-Freebird.

The best almost answer is that it is so long, the guitars can't deal with that. To which I say, why not shorten it?

It is the Confederate National Anthem, garners mucho cheers from any audience, we get thanked profusely for playing it, and they often get out the lighters for a candlelight effect.

We hardly ever play it too, BTW. It's the tired guitarist thing in our band.

That's interesting. I think it comes from overplay, over request through the 70s as I was growing up. That tune in particular was filling the airways. Similarly, I had to walk away from Stairway to Heaven for a long time till I could appreciate it again. These tunes also were released within a year or two of each other when I was under 4 years old. Southern rock and classic rock in general were peaking as I was approaching my teens, so we rejected the sound and influence in my formative years. '78 ushered in Van Halen's debut album, the 80s were filled The Police, Blondie, Hall & Oates, etc. It was a departure for sure. I didn't return to earlier rock until I was around 18 and began gigging with older guys who then started to pass on some legacy. By this time I had played an awful lot of classical music and was developing an interest in jazz, so the improvisitory blues roots began to be attractive to my ear.

Refuse to play crowd pleasers like FB or Funky Music ? If the crowd likes them be happy you have the opprotunity to play for them. Fewer opportunities for gigs every day.

In a band long ago we thought we were to hip to play certain things and our Agent at the time set us straight "You can't educate a crowd, they like what they like, they're not musicians but are buying the booze that keeps you playing"

Sobering ( pun ) advise I never forgot.

I love those tunes. Even better is Cm7 to F7 over and over and over again.

Those tunes play right into my very limited abilities as a keyboardist.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

For quite a while, my main band's position was always to refuse playing Mustang Sally. One night even, a guy asked if we played Mustang Sally. When we said no, he was so pleased and grateful. He had finally found a band that wouldn't play Mustang Sally.

Cut to several years and 2-3 guitarists later. We play Mustang Sally just out of sheer boredom and not caring what happens at the gig. The dance floor is immediately packed. *Sigh* We continue to play it on request only ... or whenever the gig is going south and we just don't care anymore.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Are there tunes that you won't play because you revere them too much? Van Morrison's "Into The Mystic" is one of those for me. It's almost a religious thing, or at least very spiritual, and I've heard other bands murder it. I will not be party to a lame version of that tune.

I'm mainly a sax player. I will not play Shotgun for the same reason. One does not imitate perfection, you can only fall short and look bad by comparison.

Would you make an exception for "Feelin' Allright"?

Nope

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

None of it is Rachmaninov. So I will play anything.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I'll play anything that makes people dance. I don't much like SHA, though. The end hurts my hand/forearm for some reason.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

And Mustang Sally is the WORST! I once fell asleep playing that POS.

I will gladly play PTFM because I kinda dig the horn parts. And I usually play clav parts in it. We would transition into Superstition then end with Funky Music. The crowd loves that shit.

I'm a total sellout...heck, we even pulled off My Baby Does The HankyPanky by request at the dirty little bar gig last night. We'll play almost anything for the appropriate sliding scale tip. Bad Girlfriend and She F'n Hates Me are a couple of high priced ones, though.

Yeah! By Usher. Usher can sing but it's the same two bars over and over and over.

There's a bunch of hits like that that are snoozers.

You get so bored you don't stop for that one beat on the third verse.

Ruins the whole song.

"No. No. Noo.

When I'm sayin h## you have to drop out. See? Let's run it again!

From the top." Aaaaauuughh!,,

John

Refuse to play crowd pleasers like FB or Funky Music ? If the crowd likes them be happy you have the opprotunity to play for them. Fewer opportunities for gigs every day.

In a band long ago we thought we were to hip to play certain things and our Agent at the time set us straight "You can't educate a crowd, they like what they like, they're not musicians but are buying the booze that keeps you playing"

Sobering ( pun ) advise I never forgot.

Agree totally. The agent's advice ^^^ should be the mantra for everyone who plays covers to please an audience who likes dancing, drinking, and generally having fun socializing on a weekend night out. It's about them, not about us.

DJs like it when we don't play what the people want to hear. People don't want to spend their time out living in their daytime pre-programmed weekday world, but we seem to be driving them to that end, little by little.

I'm a total sellout...heck, we even pulled off My Baby Does The HankyPanky by request at the dirty little bar gig last night. We'll play almost anything for the appropriate sliding scale tip. Bad Girlfriend and She F'n Hates Me are a couple of high priced ones, though.

Now Hanky Panky is a classic that can be injected with spirit and sass. I'd be cool with that one.

This is all 40 year old music. If a band was playing 40 year old tunes in the 80s or 90s they would have been laughed at LOL.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Personally, I'll play whatever they want to hear - whatever the bandleader calls. But, if given the option, there's a few I rather drop from the list any given night. I'm sure that's true for all off us, even the best troopers who know clear well how to sing for their supper.

Someone famously said that it's call "show business", not "show art" for a reason. You try to squeeze in as much quality as you can while making the necessary compromises, like we do in every other aspect of our lives. This post was really just about which songs people think stink, not the broader issues.

This is all 40 year old music. If a band was playing 40 year old tunes in the 80s or 90s they would have been laughed at LOL.

If you do Jazz gigs, your playing songs from the 20's.

If you take classical and/or sacred gigs you're doing music from the 1600s and on... sometimes older! Haha. As a musician trying to have music be my primary source of income I don't take issue with playing what's right for the audience... era doesn't bother me. There's just some tunes that I connect with and some not so much. Some played too often and some not called enough. But it's all music.

With that said, it certainly can be a bit bizarre to see 60 year olds cover Justin Bieber/Skrillex/Diplo's - "Where Are Ü Now. I'm 44, what do you guys think... Can I get away with it? Maybe easier for the keys player than the singer. YMMV

Anything goes.... What does the gig pay ?

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Archived