Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bottom feeder songs that you refuse to play- What's yours?

Rustar

I never understood the aversion to mustang sally.

The reason I hate it so much is that the last band I was in that played it insisted on doing the Young Rascals version which REALLY sucks.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

G L O R I A !

In the olden times, way before the fairly recent (last 20 years or so aversion to Mustang Sally)... the big tune which made people laugh in even the early 70's as hack was 'Gloria' by Van Morrison!

By '72 every garage band played that tune..!

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Played with the right groove Mustang Sally is fine with me. Like others we seem to dislike the same worn out songs. Electric slide? Just start it off and once people hit the floor roll into Honky Tonk Woman,by that time the line dance has started and they will keep dancing.

It is 3 minutes out of your life. Grin and bear it!!!

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

I've played a lot in rural lounges.

These were standard fare in the late '60's early 70's; I despised them each:

Proud Mary

For Your Love

For the Good Times

Later-the late '70's/early '80's, I endured

Free Bird

Anything by Bob Seger

I ended my performance days in the mid-80's...

That's interesting. Seger's recordings never spoke to me either. They were recorded well enough... but the content not so much. Now I have band mates that love love love that time period and those records - just about 8 years older than me or so. So, influences and personal tastes are just that, very personal. But yeah, I'll suffer Against the Wind to make everyone happy, that's my job.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Feeling OMG the memories that brings back. Used to play it so much adb for so long we would change the words to amuse ourselves and no one noticed. Ceilings, Peelings, etc. Finally we were so sick of it and had other better ballads we dropped it. Don't you know a couple comes up to us and requests it. I just said "we don't do it " Their answer was "well you need to keep up on the current hits "" OBoy, you can't win sometimes.

Funky Music is pretty bad; I don't mind Freebird at all, and I can't, for the life of me, ever get a straight answer as to why people, who otherwise love Southern Rock, are so anti-Freebird.

The best almost answer is that it is so long, the guitars can't deal with that. To which I say, why not shorten it?

It is the Confederate National Anthem, garners mucho cheers from any audience, we get thanked profusely for playing it, and they often get out the lighters for a candlelight effect.

We hardly ever play it too, BTW. It's the tired guitarist thing in our band.

We play a medley with a short (and I mean SHORT) version of FreeBird, with the nice organ intro course, followed by Gimme 3, and the I know a little .. goes over very well ..

PC1x, Hammond XK1c, Deep Mind 6, MS500 (gig rig)

Kurz PC4, Mini Moog Model D, Little Phatty, Hammond M3, Leslie 145, viscount op-3, Behringer model D, Roland GAIA.. (home studio)

Funky Music is pretty bad; I don't mind Freebird at all, and I can't, for the life of me, ever get a straight answer as to why people, who otherwise love Southern Rock, are so anti-Freebird.

Ooh, I'll play. I think the first half sounds like a depressing funeral dirge, and when it finally speeds up, all you get is 10 minutes of diddle diddle guitar. Yay.

Moe

---

The reason I hate it so much is that the last band I was in that played it insisted on doing the Young Rascals version which REALLY sucks.

have to respectfully disagree. If I were forced to do the song that is the version I would prefer. That's what makes the world go round. :cheers:
:nopity:

have to respectfully disagree. If I were forced to do the song that is the version I would prefer. That's what makes the world go round. :cheers:

True dat. My main bitch is that in the YR version the Wilson Pickett style horn parts don't work with that lame (IMHO) little cha-cha-cha thing they do on the five. YMMV ;)

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

I finally thought of a "no-go" song: Achy Breaky Heart." Once you get that song in your head, your can't get it out!

Stand By Your Man has that effect on me.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Ah the Bottom Feeders. Or the proper spelling the Bodom Feeters. Great band . I recall their smash hit "Straight to the Bodom" . I won't refuse to play any of their songs.

At least I waited till this thread ran 4 pages before I went sideways with it.

FunMachine.

Once you get that song in your head, your can't get it out!

Guaranteed cure for an earworm:

[video:youtube]

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

I played Funky Broadway, Land of 1000 Dances and Mustang Sally with Wilson Pickett at a corporate party in Southern California when I lived there approximately 1988. Buzzy Feiten was on guitar along with several members of the 80's Butterfield Blues Band.

I saw God.

I played Funky Broadway, Land of 1000 Dances and Mustang Sally with Wilson Pickett at a corporate party in Southern California when I lived there approximately 1988. Buzzy Feiten was on guitar along with several members of the 80's Butterfield Blues Band.

I saw God.

Nice :cool: I did get to cut with the man himself, but if I ever got to play 634-5789 with him, I could die and go to heaven!

I've had a few over the years.

Old Time R&R

Mony, Mony

Margaritaville

Brown-Eyed Girl

Crazy

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Stand By Your Man has that effect on me.

Just for you..

[video:youtube]

That's the version. Will not press play. It has started up again just looking at it. BTW there is a director's cut of the room floating around with a little more dialogue than in the original video release.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

I finally thought of a "no-go" song: Achy Breaky Heart." Once you get that song in your head, your can't get it out!

THANKS A LOT.

MC - Jenny, Jenny still packs the dance floor here. We do the quiet, extended guitar solo from their live version. It helps keep it interesting.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Archived