Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Maurice White

Dave Bryce

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! fuck you, 2016!

...goddamn, this one hurts as much as losing Bowie. Maybe a bit more; my 1st instrument was trumpet back in the '70s, and I was so proud of myself anytime I managed to learn the trumpet parts to any EW&F song. Add that to the fact that my first slow dance with a girl was to "After The Love Is Gone" - don't remember her name, but I sure as hell remember the song - and I'm feeling some pain this evening. :'(

Gonna go dig out my EW&F box set and crank that shit all day long. RIP, Maurice, and say hi to Sir Duke for us.

Yeah, this one is hard. One of the most amazing concerts I have ever seen was EW&F back in '79. Such an amazing arena show.

I saw the most recent version of the group in Vegas at an invitation-only event at CES about 5 years ago, and Maurice was there. He wasn't playing, but he stood up and got a standing ovation. He looked pretty weak back then, and I know he had been in declining health for a long time with Parkinson's. RIP.....one of the greats.....

Just saw the news.

While we knew this was coming for a while with his declining health, it does not lessen the feeling of loss.

For me, he and EWF changed my musical life when I was but around 12 or 13 and heard my first EWF album.

His talent as a musician, songwriter, and arranger is/was out of this world.

I could listen to him/them all day back then, and still to this day.

RIP Maurice White.

He is now that "Shining Star"

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80

RIP

Such a great band. And such a great leader

I recently found out that Maurice White was working with Ramsey Lewis trio as his drummer back in the sixties! Such a great accumulated experience to infiltrate to EWF....

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

RIP Maurice. Thankyou for the magical music. Really doesn't get better than EW&F. I'm so glad September and Lets Groove are in our setlist for Sat nights gig and I will especially cherish playing them.

One of my favourite things to do is turn the stereo up loud and listen to "In the Stone" that intro and then the groove, awesome. You have left a great legacy Maurice :)

A band I was in, opened for EWF in Chicago... they are the most wonderful collaboration of musicians

Guess what ( unbeknownst to me about Maurice's passing ) me and a few others were doing last night at the end of the gig? I just started attempting to get a decent sound on my clone wheel for the fabulous song, Can't Hide Love.

I tried to play it from memory... then I got to the coda i guess you would call it

F11 E11 Eb11 D11 Db11 C11 B11 then some transitional 11th chords back to F11

I kept playing it over and over then guys started to sing or hum that brilliant chord progression along with me..

I had no idea about my fellow Sagittarian musician's passing.

" a Giant" indeed- Rest in Peace Sir White.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

My favorite EWF tune.

[video:youtube]

RIP

Dbl ditto fantastic composition and arrangement and performance

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Dammit....a real, true giant. The visionary who founded the greatest funk band of the 70s.

He said in an interview that after hearing Coltrane play, he wanted to bring a similar spiritual level to funk music.. He did that and so very much more. One of my first concerts was triple bill of ZZ Top (opener) EWF (middle band) and Uriah Heep (headliner). I can't remember a single thing about the other two bands but EWF blew my head apartand and I eagerly awaited all their albums and bout their two previous to that concert.

Heart's Desire (Love Afire)

Reasons

After the Love is Gone

The enitire albums of All n' All and That's the Way of the World

As a matter of fact everything in the band's output was stellar but those two are timeless classics.

Thereis NOTHING in that genre or any to replace that combination of Head,Heart, Body and Spirit!

Rest well, Genius!

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

Very sad. Yes, 2016 is turning into a bad year for music -- and it's barely February yet!

I always enjoyed EWF, one of the real bright spots of the 70s. What Disco might have been, if it had only stopped playing video games and cracked a book once in a while. ;)

Keep your head to the sky ...

Regards,

-BW

--

Bruce Wahler

Halfmoon-Switch.com

http://halfmoon-switch.com

bw@wahler.us

Archived