Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

KURZWEIL MICROPIANO MODULE

vintagevictims

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Musebox. Still overkill though.

Not overkill at all. Been using one since they came out.

Sold my Receptor after getting it. Cant say much about any of the sounds except the AP's. There are 3 in it I use. It comes across very well live. Ive also done studio sessions w/it.

Little box surprises.

I had the Micropiano years ago. It is old, but if the OP is happy w/it, go for it. Speaker technology has also come along since I had one.

I actually kinda liked the legato strings it had. The piano, not so much. I found that the high end was a bit shrill.

Back in the day, it was alright, maybe one of the better inexpensive options. Today, the stock piano that comes with Pro Tools 10.3.2 sounds better to my ear.

I still have mine just because I never got rid of it, but I rarely use it for anything.

• 9 months later...
Hi guys,

For every members that say me MICROPIANO KURZWEIL has no GOOD SOUNDS.

Ken Rich Art Of Vintage sounds used it to demostrate his rhodes and wurlitzer OPTICAL midi.

click here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD9UWp26qJc

Thanks for sharing, a few thoughts.

A. A good player can make any instrument sing.

B. These videos are from 2011 and intended to demonstrate an optical MIDI system on a Wurlitzer or Rhodes - they could be MIDI'd to anything, including a laptop running Synthogy Ivory or Garritan CFX.

C. The micropiano is a convenient size and format. If you prefer the older sample sets, it's still a good pick and sounds great in a rock/pop band context - particularly on older songs that call for a "MIDI Grand" or "Power Ballad Piano".

D. A Rhodes or Wurly action are both very low on my list of actions I would want to play acoustic piano sounds on! :D YMMV Having the MIDI might be neat to layer strings and other synth sounds with the real output of the Rhodes or Wurly though! :thu:

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I've got a couple of LHB gigs coming up next month, and this thread made me dig out my micro ensemble for bass sounds. It WOULD work, except that mine never got the mod that lets you you shut off the other midi channels, so the thing is firing on all 16 channels all the time.....fail. Back to the closet it goes...

It was an important item as it was one of the first piano modules that went mainstream. I purchased it but didn't think the sounds were very realistic but it paired nicely with my Fatar Studio 900 to emulate a PC88.

In '96 I purchased a P50M and liked it better as it had a 3 bang eq, some more editing settings and a cp80. It had a brighter piano sound and a more mellow one. I thought it sounded great.

My favorite though was the Korg SG Rack which I kept for years.

Here's what you really need:

[video:youtube]

I got two I can sell you.

Yamaha P-515, Hammond SK1, Casio PX5s, Motif ES rack, Kawai MP5, Kawai ESS110, Yamaha S03, iPad, and a bunch of stuff in the closet.

Hi guys,

For every members that say me MICROPIANO KURZWEIL has no GOOD SOUNDS.

Ken Rich Art Of Vintage sounds used it to demostrate his rhodes and wurlitzer OPTICAL midi.

click here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD9UWp26qJc

Thanks for sharing, a few thoughts.

A. A good player can make any instrument sing.

B. These videos are from 2011 and intended to demonstrate an optical MIDI system on a Wurlitzer or Rhodes - they could be MIDI'd to anything, including a laptop running Synthogy Ivory or Garritan CFX.

C. The micropiano is a convenient size and format. If you prefer the older sample sets, it's still a good pick and sounds great in a rock/pop band context - particularly on older songs that call for a "MIDI Grand" or "Power Ballad Piano".

D. A Rhodes or Wurly action are both very low on my list of actions I would want to play acoustic piano sounds on! :D YMMV Having the MIDI might be neat to layer strings and other synth sounds with the real output of the Rhodes or Wurly though! :thu:

Bob Malone is pretty awesome. Wonder why his name hasn't come up more often?

Yamaha P-515, Hammond SK1, Casio PX5s, Motif ES rack, Kawai MP5, Kawai ESS110, Yamaha S03, iPad, and a bunch of stuff in the closet.

• 6 months later...
ALSO BOBBY FLOYD USES MICROPIANO KURZWEIL:

CLICK HERE

Means nothing.

I owned a KURZ Micropiano too and sold it years ago.

What you hear is definitely NOT the epiano (Rhodes) sound from that module.

Dunno why it sits on top of his Yamaha keyboard.

I myself, I just only used the module to layer it w/ my Rhodes MK80 which was too horrible in the acoustic piano department.

But I also had a KORG SG Rack module in addition.

Today, all what comes from a KURZ PC3 is way better !!!

A.C.

I bought a Korg P3 piano module in about 1990 and seems I paid a good amount for it.

Used it with a DX7 as a controller. I was hauling around a CP70B so it was a step up in lightening the load.

I thought it sounded great, but I found a youtube video and now realize how awfully digital it sounds now.

what a tough crowd !

just think, in 20 more years, it might be a vintage collectors item.

Or an inexpensive paperweight

;)

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

CLICK HERE

It's pretty commonly held that writing in all capital letters on an internet forum is to express that you're yelling. Why are you yelling? Is it that loud in here? :idk:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

CLICK HERE

It's pretty commonly held that writing in all capital letters on an internet forum is to express that you're yelling. Why are you yelling? Is it that loud in here? :idk:

dB

Or further evidence of being hard of hearing.

Here for the gear.

I brought my old Kurz ME-1, the successor to the Micropiano, out of the closet last night to try out with my new Acuna 73 fully-weighted controller which arrived yesterday afternoon. I was surprised that IMO the ME-1's AP's sounded / played better through the Acuna 73 than the Hammond SK 61's, which has samples that are nearly a decade newer.

I confess that I used / abused a Kurz PC88 and later an SP76 from the late 90's until about 2009 so I'm 'conditioned' to the sound of Kurz's much-maligned old Triple Strike AP's, which IMHO sit good in a band mix, even by today's standards.

OT: My current plan is to configure a simple decent-sounding meat & potatoes small-footprint two-board gig rig, with my SK1 61's AP and EP sounds triggered from the Acuna 73. I was hoping that the SK1's AP's would sound / play better through the Acuna 73. Now I'm having second thoughts about the SK1 61 and thinking perhaps of swapping it out for a bi-timbral Nord 5d which would have better AP and EP sounds and marginally worse B3 sounds. For the record, I would be happy with the old Kurz ME-1's AP's and EP's through the Acuna 73 for band gigs but I want to try to avoid carrying / hooking up an extra piece of gear.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

• 6 months later...
Dona Oxford use KURZWEIL MICROPIANO

click here

As DB said, no need to shout..

and yes we get it , your a micro fan boy

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

Little known fact: the Micro Piano was featured on the original recording of Baba O'Riley. Behold!

[video:youtube]

I guess you had to be there....

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

Archived