Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

KURZWEIL MICROPIANO MODULE

vintagevictims

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
in 1994 I bought Kurzweil Micropiano.

I would like your opinion about this module.

I'm not sure what you're asking. It was a great module back then, but now there are a lot of things that sound better. That said, if it still sounds good to you, your band, and your audience, enjoy!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

HI EVERBODY,

in 1994 I bought Kurzweil Micropiano.

I would like your opinion about this module.

thanks

vintage

Hello and welcome

Since you own it since 1994, you have a perfect idea of Kurz's cons and pros. Much better idea than mine. So nothing to add here...

And as already told, it was great for its time but it's kind of limited by todays standards. Both software pianos and newer modules are far better. But this is just my opinion

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

It was OK. I would still gig with a Yamaha P50m if needed. Micropiano not so much.

Musebox is a nice piano module, but it is $900.

[video:youtube]

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I do still love it! It's good in a big band situation, and when having to use crappy speakers in a pinch. That said, I think there's still much better options for almost every situation nowadays. Even the updated triple strike in the PC3 series is better for just about everything and way easier to play expressively on. Not exactly sure what the poster of this thread wants to know though. If you own one, it's pretty straightforward (like a Keurig machine): you just turn it on, and it goes...

One of the best piano options in the mid '90s and very affordable. Sadly, it's era of dominance is long past. I gave mine away, along with a Micro Ensemble (kind of an upgrade released in the early 2000's).

Last time I used my Micro Piano was in 2007 to play left hand bass. It had a rather nice electric bass patch. I was playing a church gig at the time and the bass player called in sick the day of the Christmas Eve service. We were expecting well over 400 and had a rather extravagant set planned. Music director calls and explains the situation and I say no problem. Cart out the Micro Piano and controller. Our sound man loved the bass sound, he was always rather picky about the quality of instruments running through his board.

Spent many a happy year with the Micro Piano and a Fatar SL1100, but we're talking decades at this point.

Mills Dude -- Lefty Hack

Last time I used my Micro Piano was in 2007 to play left hand bass. It had a rather nice electric bass patch.
There are no bass sounds on the MicroPiano.

Is this another Hallowe'en Story thread?

"Well, that night, I saw a bass patch at MIDI Program Change#129. I never saw it before or since!"

Cheers, Mike.

When I was in high school the Kurzweil K1000 came out, and I just had to have this thing for the samples - piano especially, sounded so much better than anything synths could produce. Don't get me wrong, the Roland D-50 is one of my favs too, and it could mimmick a lot of stuff, but that Kurz piano was the shit. The keyboard action was a compromise - didn't really compare to the MIDI Board or the K250, but the price was right, so I went for it. Way cheaper than a Korg SG1D as well, if I am remembering right. Saved a long long time for that thing and it served me for decades. Still boots up, but it's in storage right now. I hope the backup battery hasn't leaked.

Later on, I opted for the Emu Proformance or Proformance Plus when everyone was sticking their rig in a rack. I don't remember why any more, I think the Micro Piano was more expensive... and I remember feeling the Emu had just a certain sound in the upper register that wreaked of acoustic piano - something about the hammer noise and ping. But these instruments all have measly ROMs, naff for velocity layers, and sample stretching for miles compared to today. The Emu I have in a box in the studio someplace if anyone is looking for nostalgia. You can still get by with this thing in a pinch if you had to. But it's definitely on the thin side, and of course you notice it most when playing solo.

[video:youtube]

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Last time I used my Micro Piano was in 2007 to play left hand bass. It had a rather nice electric bass patch.
There are no bass sounds on the MicroPiano.

Is this another Hallowe'en Story thread?

"Well, that night, I saw a bass patch at MIDI Program Change#129. I never saw it before or since!"

Cheers, Mike.

Ha Ha! I guess I mis-remembered. Must have been the Micro-Ensemble that was sitting in the same rack shelf as the MicroPiano.

Mills Dude -- Lefty Hack

hi,

do you know some famous artist that used micropiano in live or in studio?

tell me please the name

thanks

vintage

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/files/2011/09/Billy-Joel-50914990.jpg

avatars-000157843714-jikh5u-t500x500.jpg

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/58842484.jpg

There is one huge advantage in the micro piano......it is a MONO sample with stereo reverb.

It sounds almost as good in mono as it does in stereo.

Besides that I don't use barely any reverb on any piano patch ever in a rock band context !

I remember buying a Roland RD600 and returned to the micro piano after set 1, because it simply cut through the rock mix much better !

Don't try to play Chopin on it though, because it falls severely short.

The first piano sample I thought was a true upgrade to the micro piano ( in a rock band context that is !!! ) was when I bought a Nord Stage with the Bright Grand and now the silver grand.

I know there are many Yamaha lovers over here, but the P250 was the biggest mistake I ever made.....

Can't stand the processed sound, the ear piercing highs and much more.

For me Nord and Kurzweil are the Rock band's best option for piano.

The Forte sounds amazing online, and knowing their history all of their users must be very pleased......I never had a chance to actually play one. but the Artis was great sounding when I played it at the Messe and Namm 2014.

I heard from several people that they prefer the piano sound of the Micropiano to the one of the MicroEnsemble. They seem to believe that the MP cuts better thru the mix when a heavy rhythm section is involved. Of course, the Micropiano multisample is basically the louder layer of the ME triple-strike multisample...

It's sad that there are no piano modules around anymore. The RP-X is the only decent one, and it's very rare. Other than that, there's just the Integra 7, and getting it for the piano sound alone seems a bit overkill, and over-expensive.

http://peavey.com/products/musebox/

Musebox ships with:

MusePlayer - maker of the UVI engine that powers Spectrasonics and MOTU. over 4GB of premium sounds

AAS Player - Muse Research Edition with custom "premium" presets, killer EPs and Wurly

Alchemy - Muse Research Edition with custom "premium" presets, amazing PAD synths

Free Alpha 3 - Virtual Analog lead synth

U-he Triple Cheese - Karplus Strong algorithmic synth with some killer sounds

RECEPTOR Remote control for control from a computer

True Pianos Amber Lite Combo sampled / physically modelled piano, Muse Research Version

Which is decent. I don't know if these are full versions or trials or partials or what. If you can install stuff from the Receptor shop, that would catch my attention, but I don't think you can? http://www.plugorama.com/search.php

Ivory II and/or Pianoteq would be nice.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Nope, The original plan was to have access to install-able products. It fell drastically short of the original concept.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Archived