Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your Latest Purchase (music related)

On 9/8/2022 at 2:25 PM, bjosko said:

The guitar bug again, is there a cure ? 😜

Might try that little tube amp on some off my e-pianos 🤔

1C392E1F-EF97-497F-8445-A56CBA741376.jpeg

The only cure is to buy more guitars!!!! That's a pretty one!!!!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

On 9/8/2022 at 5:25 PM, bjosko said:

The guitar bug again, is there a cure ? 😜

Might try that little tube amp on some off my e-pianos 🤔

1C392E1F-EF97-497F-8445-A56CBA741376.jpeg

Awesome guitar- but I have to ask,  is that thing in the back a:  Wood-burning stove, Rotisserie chicken holder, furnace????

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

1 hour ago, MAJUSCULE said:

Pedaltrain Nano. The pedalboard project continues…

Oh yeah, that reminds me...somewhere in here I got a Pedaltrain Novo 32 and a multi-guitar stand, to clean up the guitar corner back home. That's a big pedalboard though, more suited to studio work anyways. Something like the Nano (but taller) would be nice for gigs. Realistically for guitar I just need an amp sim, tube screamer, reverb, and delay if I were doing live work. I've toyed with the idea of a keys pedalboard too but it's another project that I don't actually need and would get expensive rather fast, given the little use case I would actually have for it.

966-C0750-C255-4-C5-C-AC4-D-3-F7-E4-EA10

• Like 1

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

20 hours ago, Al Coda said:

Happy birthday and congrats (on) your new toy !

I watched and listened to this demo and IMO,- it sounds awesome.

I appreciate it comes w/ playable patches out of the box and delivers a s#tload of programming options.

☺️

A.C.

Yeah easy for an old-school Moog/Roland analog guy to make patches with. My sound tech was complaining that the Diva and Jup-8v patches I had in my FOH send were too quiet, and I couldn't turn them up without them clipping. So I'm adding this guy to the rig.

~ vonnor

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage4, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

20 minutes ago, vonnor said:

the Diva and Jup-8v patches I had in my FOH send were too quiet, and I couldn't turn them up without them clipping. So I'm adding this guy to the rig.

Balancing virtual instruments´ and hardware instruments´ levels in a combined software/hardware rig is one of the hardest tasks IMO.

Most hardware (except Kurzweil when playing back factory patches) has hotter output levels, more punch and fatter raw tone than most virtual instruments.

Kurzweil offers hot outputs too, but the factory patches are intentionally very quiet not to overdrive the SPDIF output.

☺️

A.C.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, NewImprov said:

Cool! I played for several years with a Peruvian percussionist who specialized in Cajon, he could get so many sounds from it, pretty amazing instrument for something that is literally a wooden box.

I'm not really a drummer, but I can do some pretty good rhythmic patterns, slapping my knees and thighs! :thu:  Thought I'd give this kit a try myself, but really it's an experiment for one of my percussionists at church who plays standard kit, and cajon, to see if this "cocktail kit" will work for some quick Christmas choir in-and-out visits to senior homes, during December.

• Like 1

Legend '70s Compact, Studiologic Numa X 73

22 hours ago, Al Coda said:

Balancing virtual instruments´ and hardware instruments´ levels in a combined software/hardware rig is one of the hardest tasks IMO.

Most hardware (except Kurzweil when playing back factory patches) has hotter output levels, more punch and fatter raw tone than most virtual instruments.

Kurzweil offers hot outputs too, but the factory patches are intentionally very quiet not to overdrive the SPDIF output.

☺️

A.C.

Yeah I noticed that. For the 5-6 Forte factory's I use I had to bump the output gain in the general patch settings so they could compete with the Kronos.

~ vonnor

Gear:

PWhile technically not a purchase. I was just gifted a Fender Rhodes Mark II.

yes, though this is kinda the holy grail of electric pianos,  cosmetically it is the most beat up EP that I’ve ever seen. It’ll take a few days before I can fire it up and I’m scared of what I might find. Whew. Talk about joy and pain! And it is Heavy as…

• Like 1
  • Cool 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, zukskywalker said:

PWhile technically not a purchase. I was just gifted a Fender Rhodes Mark II.

yes, though this is kinda the holy grail of electric pianos,  cosmetically it is the most beat up EP that I’ve ever seen. It’ll take a few days before I can fire it up and I’m scared of what I might find. Whew. Talk about joy and pain! And it is Heavy as…

I love Rhodes pianos, and have restored several, but I agree that it's difficult to assess right away whether you've been gifted or cursed!   Opening one up can feel like an Indiana Jones adventure -- or a Forrest Gump moment ("You never know what y'gonna get.")

Legend '70s Compact, Studiologic Numa X 73

Yeah, I was wondering why it was so impossibly heavy. I’ve never been able to afford a Rhodes and never enjoyed the luxury of transporting one. Opened the inner vase yesterday and the harp seems to be fully intact but will likely need a good overhaul. Obvious  Action work is needed on only a couple of keys. I still feel extremely blessed!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, zukskywalker said:

Yeah, I was wondering why it was so impossibly heavy. I’ve never been able to afford a Rhodes and never enjoyed the luxury of transporting one. Opened the inner vase yesterday and the harp seems to be fully intact but will likely need a good overhaul. Obvious  Action work is needed on only a couple of keys. I still feel extremely blessed!

I still have back problems from the one I toted around in the 70's and 80's!

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4; IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

New iPad mount, to replace the Stagg thing I had previously which got too stiff to reliably open the ratchet mechanism to release the iPad.

Nice thing about this one: I wanted one that would mount on a regular mic stand, plus I wanted the clamp (with a mic thread on it) for other purposes. This product comprises the two parts. It's not the greatest quality - the rotation of the iPad (about an axis perpendicular to its screen) is a simple friction mechanism, with no ability to tighten/loosen - but it's cheap and it works.

Cheers, Mike.

424442.jpg

On 9/19/2022 at 11:04 PM, vonnor said:

Got myself a birthday present...

~ vonnor

NOVSYNTH09_3quart-left_HR.jpg

NOVSYNTH09_3quart-overhead_HR.jpg

Congrats :)I picked up one of these a few months ago. It's build quality took me back to the good ol' days. To me it's the best of both worlds....Built like a tank of yestayear, with the all the mod cons of today. IMHO, It sounds as cool as it looks!

• Like 1

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT, Kronos2-73, .
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood Orchestra Opus, Spitfire Symphony Orchestra, Sonuscore Elysion and Orchestra Complete 3, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.

Trust me, you want one of these.  40 bucks. takes less than 2 weeks from China.  It's awesome.  Fully programmable via app or desktop. send PC, CC, sysex, page turn, you name it. lotsa youtube vids if you're unsure. get it here: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803845146210.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.2ee4172awWTSXY&algo_pvid=83c3d0f3-3b58-490d-88e4-eddb8eff753b&aem_p4p_detail=202210030748129171580492428270008230956&algo_exp_id=83c3d0f3-3b58-490d-88e4-eddb8eff753b-5&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id"%3A"12000027802789255"}&pdp_npi=2%40dis!USD!22.8!13.68!!!!!%40210318b816648084926386414e1fe3!12000027802789255!sea&curPageLogUid=3zHkJWdo6yal&ad_pvid=202210030748129171580492428270008230956_6    you need both items in pic (the 40 dollar footswitch and wireless midi option)

spacer.png

On 9/26/2022 at 2:18 PM, stoken6 said:

New iPad mount, to replace the Stagg thing I had previously which got too stiff to reliably open the ratchet mechanism to release the iPad.

Nice thing about this one: I wanted one that would mount on a regular mic stand, plus I wanted the clamp (with a mic thread on it) for other purposes. This product comprises the two parts. It's not the greatest quality - the rotation of the iPad (about an axis perpendicular to its screen) is a simple friction mechanism, with no ability to tighten/loosen - but it's cheap and it works.

Cheers, Mike.

424442.jpg

i have 3 of those. they are the best. only 12 bucks on amazon, too.

It seems that as of late, everything that I buy has been for the recording studio (hardware or software) or my live audio rig....

I miss getting to make those really fun purchases like keyboards.  😆 

YouTube - My YouTube Channel (please subscribe for music tech info)

https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - majesticstudios_jld

Former Keyboard Tech -

PRINCE

Cassandra O'Neal 

KING (We Are King)

Majestic Studios - Audio Recording & Mixing Engineer

Yamaha CP88. I bought a Nord Grand but the action is just too easy to play. I realized that my woodshed time on it wasn’t preparing me to play real pianos. The CP88 action is heavier, yet still nicely responsive and is a much better woodshed piano. 

• Like 6

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

After swearing that I was done for a while, I still bought another synthesizer. The demos of Cherry Audio's Elka-X won me over. Somehow, it feels like an Italian Prophet, with a voice made unique by the early digital oscillators, I think.

As I get used to its strengths & lacks, it seems like less of a spotlight instrument and more of one that enhances others nicely. It layers like a sumbitch, subtle yet sweet. I've already had it glue some things together like French horns do. The strings and organs are creditable, but I should add that there are many basses, leads and effects that have a flavor all their own. Reviewing the presets & tweaking has been more fun than usual. Rather than being like plowing through a new workstation, its more like studying the fine points of Impressionism. Weird, but good weird. :clap:     

"Stay tuned for a new band: Out Of Sync."
     ~ "The Vet Life"

After enough years on this forum I've jumped on the clonewheel wagon...

Found a great deal on a used Hammond SK Pro 73.

skpro-73.jpg

• Like 11

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

10 hours ago, Mighty Motif Max said:

After enough years on this forum I've jumped on the clonewheel wagon...

Found a great deal on a used Hammond SK Pro 73.

skpro-73.jpg

Sweet board, M³

• Like 1

Gear:

On 10/8/2022 at 6:45 AM, lsj said:

access virus ti2 61 keyboard.  I finally gave in.

I got the desktop a few weeks ago…loving it!

Some design wonkiness (no MIDI-only USB?!?) but big, lush sound and a lot going on synthesis-wise.

Hate that it’s effectively end-of-life. I guess the proliferation of cheap digital boxes + soft synths make for a tough market to consider a version 3. They’d  have to re-implement everything in a new DSP, too.  

I can see wanting more DSP (for higher polyphony across the board) and a better screen while sacrificing some IO and maybe even the “total integration.”

I make software noises.