Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Heads-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back

Earlier in this thread, around 1943 or 1944, there were some who removed the grill and spray painted it black (with or without metallic sparkles) aand replaced it. You could tape off the logo if you like it.

Kawai KG-2C, Nord Stage 3 73, Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2x, Moog Voyager and Little Phatty Stage II, Slim Phatty, Roland Lucina AX-09, Hohner Piano Melodica, Spacestation V3, pair of QSC 8.2s.

Earlier in this thread, around 1943 or 1944, there were some who removed the grill and spray painted it black (with or without metallic sparkles) aand replaced it. You could tape off the logo if you like it.

I was gonna do that, but am not confident it would be durable. I've ordered some black grille cloth. This way, when the new and improved SS3 comes out, I can sell this one as pristine.

Hello all. I'm sure this info is in the thread (somewhere) so I'll hope you'll forgive the question.

I'm thinking of getting this amp - as well as it's standard use as a keyboard amp, there are two other things I want to use it for (on more of an occasional basis):

1. keys + vox - through a mixer, but vox would obviously be mono.

2. guitar + vox - again, through a mixer, but both would be mono (unless I decide to put some kind of stereo effects on the guitar)

I know the 3D effect wouldn't work with a mono signal, but I'd be interested in any thoughts/experiences of how it would work for those two applications.

many thanks!

Nick

"Makers of gaffers tape could up their profits slightly by displaying a hideous logo on the cardboard tube. Then you'd have to use up a bit of product before you started really using the roll."

You've got a weird sense of humor....are you a musician?

KronosX, ssv3, Vpiano, fulcrum fa22ac, Rupert neve line mixer, tons of weird guitars, axe-fx ultra, a couple of nice tube amps (Elmwood and Carr)

Eventide Harmonizer

Hello all. I'm sure this info is in the thread (somewhere) so I'll hope you'll forgive the question.

I'm thinking of getting this amp - as well as it's standard use as a keyboard amp, there are two other things I want to use it for (on more of an occasional basis):

2. guitar + vox - again, through a mixer, but both would be mono (unless I decide to put some kind of stereo effects on the guitar)

I know the 3D effect wouldn't work with a mono signal, but I'd be interested in any thoughts/experiences of how it would work for those two applications.

many thanks!

Nick

You can probably find whichever answer you'd like to hear in this thread.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

many thanks!

Nick

Should work just fine with your mono signals. You don't get all the magic, but the sound is pretty good nonetheless, at least to my ears.

If you can spring for a few light stereo effects (chorus, reverb) on the mono signals, the SSv3 magic will reappear, so might be worth considering.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

"Makers of gaffers tape could up their profits slightly by displaying a hideous logo on the cardboard tube. Then you'd have to use up a bit of product before you started really using the roll."

You've got a weird sense of humor....are you a musician?

Depends who you ask.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

I did this and it looks great. The only thing is that the screws holding the grill in place can easily strip the material they are screwed into. Only needed to do it once, though. If I had to remove it regularly, I will install double-stick velcro to secure the grill.

-dj

iMac i7 13.5.2

Studio One 5.5.2

Nord Stage 3

Nord Wave 2

Nektar T4

Drawmer DL 241

Focusrite ISA Two

Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

Aspen talked about this a lot way back in Season 1. For his band demos where he ran everything through a mixer, that mixer is set up using stereo vocal effects along with the guitars using stereo stomp boxes. Just a touch of a stereo effect is enough for the magic to happen. And that includes using a mono piano patch, put a bit of stereo reverb or something on it.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

No need to paint the Spacestation grill if you want to avoid the logo...just flip it inside out...its black with no logo on the inside, and fits exactly.

Also, I cover up ROLAND on my keyboard by having a pro sign made with my name on it.

The logo is huge, and this helps with self-promotion. NORD on the other hand is smaller, and IMO, cooler, so its still on there.

A Boogie-Woogie Video:

I dunno guys. To each their own, but when it comes to spreading the word for a niche piece of equipment for a hell of a great guy, I'm glad to show off the SSv.3 logo.

I'm interested in knowing if anyone has tried one of these with their SSv.3.

374161.jpg

Here for the gear.

I own two, but haven't had any reason to try it with my SSv3. I don't need what it does: compression, EQ and feedback suppression. The sub synth feature is definitely niche. I have compression and EQ on my boards.

Very useful to squelch feedback on vocal monitors, though. Also, they are XLR out and SSv3 is 1/4" in.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Thanks I was wondering about the sub synth feature, plus 16 EQ's, plus the fact you could mount this to the top of a SSv3 and have accessible volume. XLR >TS are easily adapted.

Seems like some SSv3 owners are asking for these very enhancements and Sweetwater has them on deep discount at $29 USD.

Here for the gear.

The EQs are presets. You either like them, or you don't. I didn't find them very useful for my keyboards. I already have compression on my Nords, so that's not needed. And the sub synth feature is sort of useless in the context I play in.

Great, though, in front of your vocal monitors, or on a portable PA. The auto-feedback protection has saved our bacon on more than one occasion. And the EQ and compression make the vocals sound better without spending much $$$

Hey, for $29.99 how could you go wrong?

I was curious to try this Faital coax upgrade on my Spacestation. SO I ordered one 8HX200 and swapped it with the original Emminence speaker. It is almost a plug and play, the only modification required is to drill new holes to fit the new coax. The result is as predicted by Aspen. The richer sound from medium to high turns out to be a noticeable improvement, specially a better defined sound for Acustic piano. I don't hear obvious improvement for other instruments , organ or electro Acustic piano for example. The bass is actually not better, the difference is the addition of mixed high-Medium frequencies which may or may not be desirable. Could be good for Acustic bass but may be not for electric bass sound for which the Sub is required. The pass band filtering should probably be adjusted and optimized to Faital speaker specification. Overall I think that it is a significant enough improvement for anyone who is looking for a better AP sound. Not to forget, there is also a gain in term of power DB.
Steinway M!70 - Hammond B3 - Nordstqge - Physis piano H1 - Moog Prodigy - Piano Rodes MK2

I was curious to try this Faital coax upgrade on my Spacestation. SO I ordered one 8HX200 and swapped it with the original Emminence speaker. It is almost a plug and play, the only modification required is to drill new holes to fit the new coax. The result is as predicted by Aspen. The richer sound from medium to high turns out to be a noticeable improvement, specially a better defined sound for Acustic piano. I don't hear obvious improvement for other instruments , organ or electro Acustic piano for example. The bass is actually not better, the difference is the addition of mixed high-Medium frequencies which may or may not be desirable. Could be good for Acustic bass but may be not for electric bass sound for which the Sub is required. The pass band filtering should probably be adjusted and optimized to Faital speaker specification. Overall I think that it is a significant enough improvement for anyone who is looking for a better AP sound. Not to forget, there is also a gain in term of power DB.

Steinway M!70 - Hammond B3 - Nordstqge - Physis piano H1 - Moog Prodigy - Piano Rodes MK2

Thanks for trying this out and sharing your impressions. Better-sounding APs is exactly what I'm after, everything else already sounds wonderful. Any downsides to your modification, other than cost?

-- Chuck