Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT? You know you're getting to be an older musician when....

ChiefDanG

When the girls flirting with the band remind you of your daughter. (This one really hurts)

This..all. the. time!! Dammit!!

Since 80's, and Journey especially, is so popular around these parts with the younger set, we get the 20 somethings flirting with us at every show. We all range in age from 42 thru 51.

I look at these gals, and think, that's my daughter's age. **sigh**

;)

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, man...A lot of these are hitting too close to home! :cry::laugh:

How about if you can remember when some of the coolest keyboards on the market were Moogs, Hammonds, and Prophets. You GASed for a Korg MS20 because you couldn't afford a new Minimoog, and you looked forward to getting your hands on a new ARP Odyssey.

Hey, wait a minute... :/

><>

Steve

You remember going to the movie the real Chief Dan G. was one of the stars of.

Yeah, my name is Dan George (though spelled Goerg) , hence the nickname Chief. Fewer and fewer people remember the real guy, so only a handful still call me Chief.

Professional musician = great source of poverty.

You know you're getting to be an older musician when you...

Don't know any of the tunes on Top 40 radio but you don't give a Ratz-Azz anyway.

Mustang Sally only has 3 chords.

That's all you can remember...

and dammit, that should be enough for anybody! :taz::laugh:

Below is the Ratz-Azz award.

I earned it.

I'm keeping it...

Not giving it away.

I don't give a Ratz-Azz! :mad:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_sW65ilskOC8/Sw8S8LrYxBI/AAAAAAAAcLs/nfhRs3RelMs/s1600/RatsAss.jpg

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Stan C stole my thought. In (much) younger days I went to a gig entertaining thoughts of maybe getting into some adventure afterwards, going to a party, hooking up with a girl somehow or getting a number. More recently, the most important elements for a successful gig are if, just like Stan said, you can park close to the stage and even better stash your cases close to it too.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

When your biggest concern is if there will be stairs involved at the load in. Or when you turn down gigs just because there isn't going to be a piano there and you would have to bring a portable.

Find 675 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Don't know any of the tunes on Top 40 radio but you don't give a Ratz-Azz anyway.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_sW65ilskOC8/Sw8S8LrYxBI/AAAAAAAAcLs/nfhRs3RelMs/s1600/RatsAss.jpg

Thank God I didn't have a mouthful of coffee when I saw this post.... :laugh:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

When the girls flirting with the band remind you of your daughter. (This one really hurts)

This..all. the. time!! Dammit!!

Since 80's, and Journey especially, is so popular around these parts with the younger set, we get the 20 somethings flirting with us at every show. We all range in age from 42 thru 51.

I look at these gals, and think, that's my daughter's age. **sigh**

;)

Now you'll have an idea what your daughter could be getting up too :D. My daughter is 14 as well - sweetest prettiest Angel on earth :).

Brett

Let me see... Girls your daughter's age (20's) flirting with you? And the problem is...?

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

See if you can figure it out - the "penny will drop" :).

Brett

I don't have any kids, Brett. For good reason...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

...when you sometimes play the floaters instead of the notes actually written on the page.

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

Even though I'm in my 40s, my daughter's only 9, so girls in their 20s are still OK by me!

My ex-wife: "she could be your daughter!"

Yeah, if I knocked a girl up when I was 20, but I didn't, so leave me alone.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Let me see... Girls your daughter's age (20's) flirting with you? And the problem is...?

It's a fine line I walk. While extremely flattering, as my kid has reached the age of the gals who like the boys in the band, it just feels odd/icky.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

My ex-wife: "she could be your daughter!"

Yeah, if I knocked a girl up when I was 20, but I didn't, so leave me alone.

Damn Dan, that's funny! Made me laugh!

When the girls flirting with your band have parents younger than you.

How about when the girls flirting with the band are YOUNGER than your daughter. Ack.

Michael

Montage 8, Logic Pro X, Omnisphere, Diva, Zebra 2, etc.

When the girls flirting with your band have parents younger than you.

How about when the girls flirting with the band are YOUNGER than your daughter. Ack.

Depends...your daughter or mine?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Depends...your daughter or mine?

Well, mine will be 23 this week...

Well...I dated a 23 yr old 2 yrs ago. But I guess that would be like a 25 yr old now. 23 might be pushing it. It was definitely pushing it 2 yrs ago.

They say (and this seems to be a good rule of thumb) half your age plus 7 is the youngest you should go. So for me, that's around 28-29. Doesn't mean some gals younger than that don't look pretty good dancing all sexy on the dance floor in front of me. Usually talking to them face to face kills it, thought.

Dan

. . . the most important detail of the venue is how close the band parking is to the stage. . .

... and the distance from the stage to the bathroom.

:thu::thu::thu:

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

When the girl sitting behind you who taps you on the back for a song request turns out to be your daughter's friend and your former student who is under legal age to be drinking in the bar.......true story. When I turned around she was as shocked as I was!

Hammonds:1959 M3,1961 A-101,Vent, 2 Leslies,VB3/Axiom,

Casio WK-7500,Yamaha P50m Module/DGX-300

Gig rig:Casio PX-5S/Roland VR-09/Spacestation V3

http://www.petty-larceny-band.com

and you did not hook up with her? Oops. I forgot that this was not American Beauty...

Archived