Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT? You know you're getting to be an older musician when....

ChiefDanG

jazz+ if I had a dollar for every time a 20-30 year old woman asked us to play Mustang Sally or Brickhouse, I'd have a new keyboard. (Santana, not so much). Mustang Sally is probably one of our most requested tunes, much to our dismay.

As far as the girls go, I've been married for 31 years so I'm not going after any strange, but even at my age, I get my share of women who are putting out the signs. Not the 22 year olds (at my age, I wouldn't want that anyway), but there are a lot of hot women in their 30's on up who find 50ish year old band members attractive. If I were inclined, I wouldn't be lonely.

This is exactly how I've been seeing it (the sea of women)too :).

I can highly recommend a wife who is at least 10 years younger than yourself :).

Brett

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...you get, at most, 2-1/2 hours out of a 5-Hour Energy Drink.

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

...you've seriously contemplated the logistics of an eBay approach to gigging:

1. Order gear online and have it delivered to the club address.

2. After the gig, snap photos of everything and post ads to eBay with a "local pickup only" requirement.

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

...the guys in your band look at you in shock and dismay when you're on the road and whip out your AARP card to get a discount on your room.

...everyone in your band brings their smart phones, iPads, and laptops on the road and you bring...

...a book.

As a young man. "I'll see what I can do with that"

Ten years later. "No problem, I've played that before"

I know I'm getting older. "I played that? I don't remember that at all"

I'm practicing so that people can maybe go "wow" at an imaginary gig I'll never play. -Nadroj

...when you play by feel only, cause you can't hear.

And related:

...when you've spent more on gear from Phonak than on synths.

When you start playing everything in A Flat because that's the key your ears are ringing in.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

When you start playing everything in A Flat because that's the key your ears are ringing in.

Ouch! Dammit, I shouldn't take a sup of red wine before reading your posts!

I know I'm getting older. "I played that? I don't remember that at all"

I know this thread is for laughs but in all seriousness this is my biggest problem. I learn songs and don't remember them the next week. Except for Mustang Sally. :D:facepalm:

:nopity:

You know you're getting to be an older musician when you think it's just GAS.. :sick:

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Ok, kind of derailing the fun nature of this, but I just did a jam with some younger folks...invited by 25 yr old chicks, and predictably all the other musicians were around the same age. It was pretty cool. They were good, and they knew 60s covers more so than anything newer (though we mostly just jammed). I'm not gonna lie, all the attention from the hot young gals was nice. I'm pretty sure I was the oldest dude on stage all night. Once I got home, one of the guitar players friended me on FB. He was born 1 yr after I graduated from high school.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Ok, kind of derailing the fun nature of this, but I just did a jam with some younger folks...invited by 25 yr old chicks, and predictably all the other musicians were around the same age. It was pretty cool. They were good, and they knew 60s covers more so than anything newer (though we mostly just jammed). I'm not gonna lie, all the attention from the hot young gals was nice. I'm pretty sure I was the oldest dude on stage all night. Once I got home, one of the guitar players friended me on FB. He was born 1 yr after I graduated from high school.

This sort of thing often works out - even with long term bands, as long as both age group are open minded. Some of the responses I've received point to the contrary, though. For a young, uber-image conscious modern pop band, I get it; but with a classic rock act, or variety country band, age disparities shouldn't be an issue. Heck, I've met twenty somethings that were in worse shape, or had less stage image than many my age.

Funny, as I've been looking for acts to connect up with in the Chicago area, there's a rock / americana / quasi - country (?) outfit looking for keys; while I'll play basically anything, that style is what I like to sink my teeth into, live. But their ad is very to the point, with regard to age: basically, 30 years old is the limit. Weird... In their photo, a couple of the players look older than thirty :laugh:.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

But their ad is very to the point, with regard to age: basically, 30 years old is the limit. Weird... In their photo, a couple of the players look older than thirty :laugh:.
They're probably at their quota for old guys already. :D

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

There must be something wrong with me. I love playing Mustang Sally. Stormy Monday too (Allman style). But if we're playing Proud Mary, it better be because the vocalist can really kill it.

Oh heck, I won't even draw the line there. I might have a problem with Hokey Pokey or the Chicken Dance, but fortunately, I've never been asked to play them.

But their ad is very to the point, with regard to age: basically, 30 years old is the limit. Weird... In their photo, a couple of the players look older than thirty :laugh:.
They're probably at their quota for old guys already. :D

:laugh: I was actually thinking of one of the women in the band photo: the look is no nonsense, experienced older rocker. Go figure...

There must be something wrong with me. I love playing Mustang Sally.

The first step is admitting you have a problem.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I might have a problem with Hokey Pokey or the Chicken Dance,

Never, ever, ever! :mad:

I was at a wedding 3 years ago and the DJ played both of those songs at least twice.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I might have a problem with Hokey Pokey or the Chicken Dance,

Never, ever, ever! :mad:

I was at a wedding 3 years ago and the DJ played both of those songs at least twice.

.....as opposed to all the ultra-hip stuff we normally play at weddings, yes?

I may be a total mercenary, but if the $$$ on the check is appropriate, I'll play that stuff with a big smile on my face. After all, it's only 3-4 minutes out of my life, and the cash will last hours.... On second thought, I AM a total mercenary!....

Archived