Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT? You know you're getting to be an older musician when....

ChiefDanG

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Time for a positive one. You know you're getting to be an older musician when ...

You've been at this so long you've become really good at it.

Time for more positive ones ...

You know you're getting to be an older musician when ... you've got the money to buy really nice toys.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

For me, my musical journey, especially related to money and success, I think can be tied to age. You fight for gigs for a long time, at some point, start getting the best ones for the best money, then priorities change not to mention the fact that it's difficult to keep up. Then it's back to lower income and fewer gigs, and less popular as your repertoire becomes less mainstream, but the quality is the highest ever. Sort of a dichotomy in a way.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

You know you're getting to be an older musician when ... you've got the money to buy really nice toys.

.....but you're too lazy or too befuddled to figure out how to use them.

chas

Legend Exp,NC2x,Crumar Seven,KeyB Duo MK111,Nord C1,Nord C2D,Triton Classic,Fantom G7,Motif ES,SonicCell,BK7m,PA1x pro,VP770,TC Helicon,Leslie 3300,MS Pro145,EV SXA250(2),Traynor K4,PK7a,A70,DM10 Pro.

and you DO for a while. Then you realize that your ability to USE the toys effectively has diminished, and continues to diminish. So, you don't buy as many more really nice toys.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

... when you're trying to flirt with the nurses at a gig at a nursing home but suddenly realize that you're closer in age to the residents.

Or how about the sheer fact that you're playing gigs at nursing homes? :wave:

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

... when you're trying to flirt with the nurses at a gig at a nursing home but suddenly realize that you're closer in age to the residents.

Or how about the sheer fact that you're playing gigs at nursing homes? :wave:

That's the other thing ... you know you're getting to be an older musician when the music you grew up with gets its biggest response at nursing homes.

Something just happened to me this afternoon. A client came in named Bird. Our sixtysomething receptionist said the bird is the word. Immediately that total crap old song flashed in my head. I mentioned it to my 30 year old coworker who loves to torture me whenever I mention a tune I can't stand. He pulls it up on Spotify and I got to hear The Bird Is The Word for about 10 minutes. Even he admitted it was really bad and I immediately thought of this thread. The good news with him is over the last year or so I turned him on to some classic latin stuff like Santana and Tito Puente and he seems to really like them.

Who the hell knows The Bird Is The Word? Jeesh, I really am getting old.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Now you made me go and look it up. Apparently it made money for the Rivingtons.

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=1763

NOW we know we're old when we feel the need to look something like this up. Man oh man...

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

When you no longer take some gigs because you fear age discrimination from the usual patrons(even playing the newest stuff with all the right sounds and samples), even though you know your band's performance will be head & shoulders above the regular younger bands that play there.
This is where you put your gear list that no one reads anyway!

When you used to be hot sh*t when you were younger with a "reputation that preceded you" in local circles and noticing everyone has caught up to you, you're no longer unique, and even now possibly behind!

When the weight and size of new gear becomes more of a consideration than the price. Now you can afford the gear, but half the time "You don't need it" so don't bother.

When you're the only guy that still views Sequences or "Tracks" as "CHEATING" and on the verge of dishonest for a "live" performance.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

When your newer gear that weighs half what the old gear did is still "heavy" come load out and you are constantly looking for ways to "Downsize".

I'd have had the CP4 bought by now - instead I'm waiting to try the PX-5S - I've seen the specs for the weight.

When the weight and size of new gear becomes more of a consideration than the price. Now you can afford the gear, but half the time "You don't need it" so don't bother.

Yes - telling myself I'd be better getting a quality upright that I'll never gig and just make do with the Juno Stage for another five years. I've even put black masking tape over the markings so that no one can tell it's not a digital piano unless they're on stage next to me.

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

Archived