Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard for couch playing?

I am just a beginner at this whole keyboard thing, but I've been a guitar player for years. I'd often sit on my couch and practice guitar while watching a documentary or a baseball game. My question is... Does anyone do this with a keyboard? If so, what keyboard do you use as I'd like to pick something up?

Thanks!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Melodious , I swear a lot of people here never get off the couch , and probably do the same :D.

Get hold of the latest and greatest feather weight Casio PX5 - only 24 lbs , and an awesome little beast for learner or Pro.

Get your teeth into some piano on that , while you watch the goggle box , listen to tunes , and play along with them :).

Brett

My question is... Does anyone do this with a keyboard?

Not a good idea. You just don't 'hold' a keyboard like you do a guitar or bass.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Something with minikeys such as microStation or even iRigKeys would be cool. Not for technique, but you could work on how voicings look like and sound.

Sometimes going five feet from couch to piano after long day at work is difficult. Once I start playing I'm fine. You guitar players can lounge as you practice.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

NOT a good idea. I have been addicted to TV in the past. Playing music requires what any skill requires, concentration. To in effect, train your mind to be half focussed - I don't know, I say no, don't.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

NOT a good idea. I have been addicted to TV in the past. Playing music requires what any skill requires, concentration. To in effect, train your mind to be half focussed - I don't know, I say no, don't.

Two ways to look at it:

Q: Is it OK to watch TV while you are practicing piano?

A: NO! You need to be 100% focused on the music.

OR

Q: Is it OK to practice piano while you are watching TV?

A: Sure. TV is a waste of time.You should at least be doing something productive while you watch.

:)

I don't know about you guys, but I can't play worth a shit if my keyboard is in my lap.

If you're going to watch TV...set your keys up in front of it.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Two ways to look at it:

Q: Is it OK to watch TV while you are practicing piano?

A: NO! You need to be 100% focused on the music.

OR

Q: Is it OK to practice piano while you are watching TV?

A: Sure. TV is a waste of time.You should at least be doing something productive while you watch.

:)

Yep, except that one of these arguments is not remotely as accurate as the other when it comes to skill-building. If you are playing anything close to the limits of your ability, or you hoping to improve that ability, you should know that muscle memory is trained from the frontal cortex first and then back to the brain stem as the autonomous processes take over.

1) Train your muscles to make mistakes and they will continue doing so.

2) Train your muscles to play well and they will continue doing so.

These two are like each other. You choose. :)

That could be the 1/2 empty answer. The 1/2 full answer could be that having TV on could help learn how to keep outside distractions from affecting your concentration, like on a gig.

I think any extra time working out your brain is a good thing. Now if I could practice what I preach.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

If it's at least in part for practicing fingerwork, I wouldn't suggest the Microstation, only because for that purpose, I think it would be better to have full size keys. I think Yamaha MX49 would be a good choice. Or as mentioned, possibly a keytar (one with full size keys), which can also sit flat in your lap. I'd still lean toward the MX for having more keys than the current keytars.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I love the way the OP says he has been doing this with guitar for years, and some of you say you can't do that with keyboard. Sometimes I wonder if comments like this are why so many people think keyboard is hard to do.

Besides the Casio PX-5S, I think something like the PX-150, PX-350, or any of their models with built-in speakers would work. Throw it on an X-stand (it's light enough! :D ) and you can noodle while the TV drones on.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

To the OP: It makes no sound but IMHO grab yourself an Alesis Vortex and something for it to talk to. Sounds really interesting to have a guitar player on a keytar, perhaps correlating guitar technique to keyboard.

(Perhaps you could load up a guitar patch and tell us what you think.)

Yeah, yeah, blasphemy I know, but he did say on the couch.

There are not many perfect situations on stage that allow you to play while totally focused only on what you are doing. Rowdy crowd, stupid singers, drunk bass players. I consider it an advantage to be able to play while distracted.

Anyway, I sometimes use a Novation UltraNova while sitting on the porch. No built in speakers so I use headphones or a mini-amp. For playing in front of the TV I have a keyboard stand and stool in the corner of the living room. Various keyboards come and go in that spot. It is handy for going through sounds, practicing a lick, patch programming, etc...

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Melodica. :idea:

You hold it the same way whether you're standing, sitting on a bench, or sitting in a recliner. So there's no need to be concerned with playing posture. And it doesn't require power or speakers. :thu:

Of course it won't help you with piano technique, but at least it gives you something worthwhile to do while you're watching TV! :laugh:

><>

Steve

I've got a Roland Juno Gi for couching. It's light in your lap (12 pounds), not too short (61 keys) and great for doodling. Of course I wear head phones so I'm not concerned about hearing what I'm watching on TV.

As mentioned, this will not build your chops but it does keep the keyboard "fun factor" alive. Especially for a beginner.

If you're going to watch TV...set your keys up in front of it.

I'm usually tempted to do this during the NFL season and postseason. There tends to be so many commercials and other breaks in the action (timeouts, replay reviews, etc.) that I can switch my concentration to the instrument during those breaks.

Yes, I've played guitar while watching TV too.

Any 61-note, 12 pound-ish keyboard will work for this. I have a Yamaha NP 11 that I'll take on some of our family car trips, for instance Tahoe weekends. The built in speakers are handy, as is the battery power, and it was cheap to buy. The keyboard kinda sucks, but it's better than nothing, when nothing is the only alternative.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I think playing in front of the TV is not a replacement for focused practice, but can be useful. I often refresh my memory on cover songs while I'm watching golf or basketball on TV. Sometimes I will bring the ipad in and learn new songs from youtube during commercial breaks.

Many years ago, I went to the local Guitar Center and got a cheap 61-note keyboard with speakers for just this purpose. In my case, it was a Casio CTK-900, but I'm sure that model doesn't exist now. I would never play this keyboard for pleasure away from the TV, but it's light enough (with speakers) to sit comfortably in my lab and serves this purpose nicely. As you can imagine, it annoys my wife if she is also watching.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Yeah, something with speakers and batteries is nice, so you can just grab it and play without having to think about it, the way you could a guitar. Alternately, I like Scott Hamlin and Toana's suggestion, a USB keyboard that plugs into an iPad, which functions as the sound source, the power, and (at least to some extent) the speaker.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Wimps!

I can sit in my favorite arm chair, with my full sized Casio PX-5S sitting across the arms, battery powered with headphones and play, practice or program while the idiot box is going in the background.

Awesome , a real musician here in my book Mate stubb :).

I think it's great at times to practice picking up tunes by ear off the telly (how I've done a ton of learning) , and getting used to "distractions" in a playing environment sometimes as well.

Brett