Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard for couch playing?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How many of you have to endure omnipresent Sports channels as you perform?

I got in a bad habit of mindlessly watching the Screen while playing. Little by little I am breaking this dumb habit. This is further reason to not encourage this weak minded habit. But you will do what you will do :deadhorse:

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

As a sufferer from chronic injury due to overuse injuries stemming from poor posture, I wouldn't advise this for any length of time. Not sure what benefit can be gained from sitting on the couch and "noodling" since your muscle memory from playing keys has a lot to do with your position relative to the keys; as Bobby said, you don't hold a keyboard like you do guitar. You sit at it.

That being said, I have used a micro MIDI controller to input notes while creating charts, sitting on a couch. But not for very long. Get up and take breaks if you're determined to do this, for whatever reason.

FWIW I had a minor flareup of my condition from using my laptop while reclining on the couch. Posture can be an insidious creator of body ailements!

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

As a sufferer from chronic injury due to overuse injuries stemming from poor posture, I wouldn't advise this for any length of time. Not sure what benefit can be gained from sitting on the couch and "noodling" since your muscle memory from playing keys has a lot to do with your position relative to the keys; as Bobby said, you don't hold a keyboard like you do guitar. You sit at it.

That being said, I have used a micro MIDI controller to input notes while creating charts, sitting on a couch. But not for very long. Get up and take breaks if you're determined to do this, for whatever reason.

FWIW I had a minor flareup of my condition from using my laptop while reclining on the couch. Posture can be an insidious creator of body ailements!

As a sufferer from chronic injury due to overuse injuries stemming from poor posture, I wouldn't advise this for any length of time. Not sure what benefit can be gained from sitting on the couch and "noodling" since your muscle memory from playing keys has a lot to do with your position relative to the keys; as Bobby said, you don't hold a keyboard like you do guitar. You sit at it. !

Michelle,

I'm going through an "overuse" diagnosis as well as in forearm tendonitis and tennis elbow. PT told me laptop use has contributed to this as I have a habit that I am trying to break of using one on my lap on the sofa for long periods. PT told me to sit closer to my music keyboards when playing, and beforehand to warm up with stretching and heat and ice after practice and gigs.

Getting back to the OP, since he asked about the best keyboard for his lap use I would agree that an entry level 61 key light weight battery operated Casio or Yamaha with speakers would be fine. I would not bother with an IPad or iPhone hookup for this purpose. Why have another thing to hook up? The more crap you have to connect, the least likely you will use it. It's also something, since you are not gigging with it, IMO, that you need not spend a lot for. You would probably find 10 boards like I recommended looking at craigslist tonight.

Hammonds:1959 M3,1961 A-101,Vent, 2 Leslies,VB3/Axiom,

Casio WK-7500,Yamaha P50m Module/DGX-300

Gig rig:Casio PX-5S/Roland VR-09/Spacestation V3

http://www.petty-larceny-band.com

People have been playing guitar on the couch since guitars and couches were invented. And since there is probably 7-8 minutes of actual playing time during a 3 hour ball game, so why not kill 2 birds?

I would think that playing on a lightweight keyboard during a ball game is better than not playing it at all. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.

People have been playing guitar on the couch since guitars and couches were invented. And since there is probably 7-8 minutes of actual playing time during a 3 hour ball game, so why not kill 2 birds?

I would think that playing on a lightweight keyboard during a ball game is better than not playing it at all. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.

THIS!

Hammonds:1959 M3,1961 A-101,Vent, 2 Leslies,VB3/Axiom,

Casio WK-7500,Yamaha P50m Module/DGX-300

Gig rig:Casio PX-5S/Roland VR-09/Spacestation V3

http://www.petty-larceny-band.com

+1 for practicing at semi-distracted moments.

Have to admit, I watch too much boob tube. And I like to play along with music that pops up during the show. I find the kind of attention I have on my playing at those times not all that different than when I'm jamming- I'm listening for the key, the rhythm, the bass line, the melody, and developing my ear as a result, all while taking in the show. It's close to the trance-y feeling I get when doing two things at once- rather like when I discovered the independence of the left hand from the right- once they both had their own separate things going on, I stumbled upon the pianist high, the endorphins that come from successfully being split, doing two things at once.

I've even found that sometimes I like having background noise, like Pandora playing in the background (not super loud) that I'm not even listening to or playing along with- I guess its like listening to music while studying, it frees me up somehow, and being that I'm practicing by myself, it's like being in a noisy cafe and writing, not quite as solitary.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

I don't. But ...

I think playing in front of the TV is not a replacement for focused practice, but can be useful.
I agree with this.

Stories about Jaco Pastorius, Jimi Hendrix, and SRV say that these guys pretty much strapped on an instrument and played it constantly, while cooking, talking on the phone, watching TV. I guess it didn't work out so well for them. For folks beginning on guitar, I always recommend they get a stand and keep the guitar on the stand near wherever they hang out, so that it gets the most possible use.

But I never bothered to try this with keyboards. Maybe that's why I'm better on keyboards than guitar! :laugh:

I'm not certain if it's good for posture or not (i.e. to play on the couch), but you might check out an old Kawai KC-10. Very light, very narrow, and I think it runs on batteries.

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

I will go against popular opinion here and say this TV distraction is sad

and will show a tangential issue to this distracted practicing, with in many cases TV addiction along side the keyboard. The analogy is cellphone use, which btw I am also addicted to.

[video:youtube]

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

How many of you have to endure omnipresent Sports channels as you perform?

Way too many. When I find myself watching the game with the rest of them it's admitting defeat. The gig sucks.

One memorable night in a dive bar a few years ago we had the Celtics and Bulls game 6 playoffs on one screen with the Red Sox and Yankees on the other. We did not care. We came to play and had way too much fun to be ignored. Beating the Celtics and the Red Sox isn't easy.

I'm done with that stuff. I won't play in a place with a TV on again unless they have an awesome answer to kanker's favorite question.

TV rots my brain and couches are bad for my back. I wouldn't consider playing keys on a couch. I can't even use a piano bench. The Roc'n'Soc is about the only seat that works for me.

--wmp